ADVERTISEMENT

“There Is No Gun Show Loophole. It Never Existed.” – Gun Rights Groups Fire Back!!!

RicoSuave102954

HR All-American
Jul 17, 2023
Montezuma, Iowa
The notion of a “gun show loophole” has long been a contentious topic in the debate over gun control. For years, proponents of stricter firearm regulations have argued that this supposed loophole allows for the unregulated sale of guns at gun shows, providing easy access to firearms for criminals. However, gun rights advocates vehemently contest this narrative, asserting that the loophole is a misnomer and that existing laws adequately regulate firearm transactions.

A Misconception Perpetuated
Despite efforts to dispel the misconception, the anti-gun establishment continues to propagate the idea of a widespread gun show loophole. They contend that unlicensed dealers at these events facilitate the unchecked sale of firearms to individuals without background checks or oversight. This narrative persists despite the lack of substantial evidence supporting its prevalence.

Biden Administration’s Response
In response to pressure from anti-gun advocates, the Biden administration has taken action to address the perceived loophole. Recently, the administration announced changes to existing regulations aimed at tightening oversight of firearm sales at gun shows. These changes have drawn criticism from pro-gun groups, who view them as an infringement on Second Amendment rights.

Pro-Gun Groups Push Back
Leaders of pro-gun organizations, such as the Second Amendment Foundation and the National Shooting Sports Foundation, have voiced their opposition to the new regulations. They argue that the rule change unfairly burdens law-abiding citizens while failing to address the root causes of gun violence.

Additional Regulations Ineffective
Moreover, they contend that criminals often obtain firearms through illegal channels, rendering additional regulations ineffective in preventing illicit access to guns.

Legal Challenges Ahead
With the new regulations set to take effect in 30 days, legal challenges are expected from pro-gun groups. Critics assert that the Biden administration’s actions exceed the authority of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) and infringe upon the legislative powers of Congress.

Congress has the Authority
They argue that only Congress has the authority to enact laws pertaining to firearms and that administrative agencies cannot unilaterally redefine statutory terms or create new regulations.

Implications for the Future
The debate over the gun show loophole and the Biden administration’s response underscore broader tensions surrounding gun control in the United States. As legal battles loom on the horizon, the outcome of these challenges will have significant implications for gun rights and regulations nationwide. Proponents of stricter gun control measures hope to see increased oversight of firearm sales, while gun rights advocates remain steadfast in their defense of Second Amendment freedoms.

Government Overreach
While the Biden administration and anti-gun advocates may view the new regulations as a step toward reducing gun violence, opponents argue that they represent government overreach and infringement on constitutional rights. As the legal and political battles unfold, the debate over the gun show loophole will continue to shape the landscape of gun policy in the United States.

The Role of Media Narratives
What are your thoughts? How do perceptions of the “gun show loophole” influence public opinion on gun control measures, and what role do media narratives play in shaping these perceptions? Are stricter regulations on gun shows an effective means of reducing gun violence, or do they primarily impact law-abiding gun owners without addressing underlying issues?

Targeting the Root Cause of Gun Violence
What responsibility do lawmakers and regulatory agencies have to balance Second Amendment rights with public safety concerns when crafting firearm regulations? How can policymakers ensure that gun control measures target the root causes of gun violence while safeguarding constitutional liberties?

The mere fact that people cite "gunshow loopholes" regularly means the media is promoting that notion. It's also true about AR-15 style rifles being military weapons or "assault weapons".

Reactions: iavagabond
Cool. so if they close it, it won't matter.
While the Biden administration and anti-gun advocates may view the new regulations as a step toward reducing gun violence, opponents argue that they represent government overreach and infringement on constitutional rights. As the legal and political battles unfold, the debate over the gun show loophole will continue to shape the landscape of gun policy in the United States.

Many like to call it the gun show loophole, but in reality what they have an issue with is private sales. A licensed gun dealer at a gun show has the same requirements they would have in their shop.
But if there are some gun shows at which not everyone is an FFL, and it allows (or at least overlooks) private sales, then there would be a "loophole" where private sales are occurring at the gun shows without background checks. And something like a requirement that people who make money from selling guns (as opposed from me selling a gun, but it not really being a recurring revenue source for me - which is a separate issue) all have to conduct background checks - regardless of their status as an FFL, would be, in effect, closing that loophole?

I've been to gun shows, I know that private transactions happen without background checks. Not all gun shows are equal.

1*HwGK7S5GOMOQKlu7PupufQ.jpeg

gunshow1-copy.jpg

635678086033738835-gunshowguywithsign.jpg

maryland-gun-ban.jpg

Is it "anti-gun" to make sure crazy people don't have access to murder toys and to think we should keep track of who owns them? So, when they end up shooting a class full of 4th graders we know who to look at? How exactly is that "anti-gun"?

• Haha
Reactions: NoWokeBloke
Is it "anti-gun" to make sure crazy people don't have access to murder toys and to think we should keep track of who owns them? So, when they end up shooting a class full of 4th graders we know who to look at? How exactly is that "anti-gun"?
Who's to determine who the crazy people are?

What exactly is a murder toy?

Who determines what a murder toy is if something like that actually exists?

How does keeping track of people owning guns keep someone from shooting up a class of 4th graders?

It's a decent effort but we have killings here all the time where the details are known about the killer and never released.

See my post on a mass murder last week using a knife.
Are you against knowing who owned the knife that was used to murder people? Why are idiots against knowing who owns the guns that murder children?

Also...Who gives a shit about knives? Knives have plenty of other application than ending lives. All guns are used 100% for that purpose. Sometimes for good reason. And those are fine. I'm all for gun ownership by responsible people.

So, why we have people who choose to act stupid and pretend there's no difference between guns and knives and that we cannot decipher what kinds of folks shouldn't have access to the former? Why do we have 90% of the populace agree on background checks but let the NRA hold congress hostage on the matter? The "slippery slope" argument, is old, tired and dishonest as hell.

But if there are some gun shows at which not everyone is an FFL, and it allows (or at least overlooks) private sales, then there would be a "loophole" where private sales are occurring at the gun shows without background checks. And something like a requirement that people who make money from selling guns (as opposed from me selling a gun, but it not really being a recurring revenue source for me - which is a separate issue) all have to conduct background checks - regardless of their status as an FFL, would be, in effect, closing that loophole?

I've been to gun shows, I know that private transactions happen without background checks. Not all gun shows are equal.

1*HwGK7S5GOMOQKlu7PupufQ.jpeg

gunshow1-copy.jpg

635678086033738835-gunshowguywithsign.jpg

maryland-gun-ban.jpg
All I'm saying is that this sort of transaction could happen anywhere. I could post on this site that I'm getting rid of a couple guns, and Whiskey could respond and say he is interested and we could make the transaction in a WalMart parking lot somewhere (if that actually happens, I'll post a pic of my hand from the parking lot!). It just happens that gun shows tend to gather a lot of folks looking to both buy and sell guns who don't really do this for a living or source of income.

Many like to call it the gun show loophole, but in reality what they have an issue with is private sales. A licensed gun dealer at a gun show has the same requirements they would have in their shop.
why is there any difference?

why should a buyer not be subject to the same scrutiny if they buy a gun from someone who isn't a dealer?

why is there any difference?

why should a buyer not be subject to the same scrutiny if they buy a gun from someone who isn't a dealer?
That isn't at all what I said. I simply said it has nothing to do with "gun shows" other than that happens to be one of many places that type of transaction happens legally today.

That isn't at all what I said. I simply said it has nothing to do with "gun shows" other than that happens to be one of many places that type of transaction happens legally today.
you're explaining that there's a difference between private sales and commercial/dealer sales, no?

i'm saying there should be no such distinction

I am learning about this, never dived into the topic before, never been to a gun show.

I recently won a raffle and the prize was an sig ar15. I asked I could just get the cash equivalent and that was a negative, so I took the rifle home and wife didn’t like it in the house, so I had to lock it up at my storage unit.

So with this new legislation, I would be barred from selling it at a gun show but I could sell it privately, outside of a gun show? Is that the reason for the language used in the legislation?

I want to sell it, but I could also keep it in.. hasn’t been touched more than a few times. If I kept it, would it go up in value? I assume it would, anyone have any feedback for me?

I am learning about this, never dived into the topic before, never been to a gun show.

I recently won a raffle and the prize was an sig ar15. I asked I could just get the cash equivalent and that was a negative, so I took the rifle home and wife didn’t like it in the house, so I had to lock it up at my storage unit.

So with this new legislation, I would be barred from selling it at a gun show but I could sell it privately, outside of a gun show? Is that the reason for the language used in the legislation?

I want to sell it, but I could also keep it in.. hasn’t been touched more than a few times. If I kept it, would it go up in value? I assume it would, anyone have any feedback for me?
How much you want for it??

There are a lot of things that could make it go up in value. You should start rooting for things that would decrease the supply of ARs - regulations, supplier issues/shortages, the next COVID, etc.

Reactions: Bank of Hawk

I haven't read the legislation, but something like that would be a bit tricky. Clearly in any case you could sell it to a licensed dealer at a gun show, and if they try to enact private sale restrictions only at gun shows you simply have the conversation with the person buying it and leave the property to complete the transaction elsewhere.

Gun values are hard to say. What you have isn't in any way rare, and generally in those cases gun & ammo prices seem to follow the current political flow more than anything else. When there is fear of things being taken away or becoming unavailable prices go through the roof, when those worries don't exist they ease up again. Obviously if you kept it in that condition for a very long time to a point where one in similar condition was very rare, that makes the price go up as well. But, in that instance there are likely better ways to grow your money over time.

I don't know the rule, I don't go to gun shows either, I think it had to do with who can set up as a vendor at a gun show.

Sig makes decent stuff, it would go up in value even if it is one of the lower end models.

I'd buy it from you but I'm in the process of buying my step father's collection. If you want to sell it I'll ask around and I'm sure one of my buddies would buy it.

I don't know the rule, I don't go to gun shows either, I think it had to do with who can set up as a vendor at a gun show.

Sig makes decent stuff, it would go up in value even if it is one of the lower end models.

I'd buy it from you but I'm in the process of buying my step father's collection. If you want to sell it I'll ask around and I'm sure one of my buddies would buy it.
I’ll send some pics. Can you shoot me a text quick and I’ll respond?

Retails for $850. I’d give a $50 discount to a HORT’r though.
Hmm - if you're in IA I'd have to build in travel costs from/to TX. It might eat away at the discount.

We could meet up half way in (looks at google maps) El Dorado, KS and have lunch at (zooms in) Willie's Sports Bar & Grill.

That way we both lose (financially, and by having to be in El Dorado, KS), but we also both win (friendship!).

Hmm - if you're in IA I'd have to build in travel costs from/to TX. It might eat away at the discount.

We could meet up half way in (looks at google maps) El Dorado, KS and have lunch at (zooms in) Willie's Sports Bar & Grill.

That way we both lose (financially, and by having to be in El Dorado, KS), but we also both win (friendship!).
I’d actually enjoy making a trip like that, more than you know.

Whiskey has the inside track right now though.

• Love
Reactions: NDallasRuss
I’d actually enjoy making a trip like that, more than you know.

Whiskey has the inside track right now though.
You just have to remember to post the hand photo when you meet up in (hopefully) a seedy strip club parking lot to exchange cash for weapons. Bonus if you both head inside to enjoy the free buffet!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT