ADVERTISEMENT

1,000 dead birds rained from the Chicago sky after a 'nightmare' mass collision with a building that activists have been warning about for decades...

The Tradition

HR King
Apr 23, 2002
Anyone passing by the McCormick Place Lakeside Center in Chicago, Illinois, in the early morning hours on Thursday likely got quite the gruesome shock.

That's because almost 1,000 dead birds began raining from the sky as they all collided with the exhibit hall's windows on October 5.

Christine Sheppard, director of the glass collisions program for the American Bird Conservancy, told Insider the news made her stomach drop.

"It's just absolutely your worst nightmare," Sheppard said.

Now, anti-collision activists like Sheppard are calling on McCormick Place to make changes to protect migrating birds.

Bird collisions are nothing new for Chicago, but an event on this scale is an anomaly, according to Annette Prince, director of the Chicago Bird Collision Monitors. Prince said her organization typically sees thousands of deaths over the course of a year, making the mass collision on October 5 a disturbing outlier.

Weather conditions in recent days presented a perfect storm for a mass migration event, according to Prince.

Low cloud cover and favorable winds combined with the fall migration season contributed to a large amount of birds flying through the region. She also said that weather conditions had been poor for flight in recent days, meaning there was a back-up of birds waiting to migrate leading up to Thursday.

"All these things made the perfect storm for what caused such a huge event," Prince told Insider.

The main catalyst for the collision itself, however, was the lights inside building, according to Prince. Prince said McCormick Place had kept its lights on throughout the night on October 5 — something the rental hall has a history of doing, she said — which drew the mass of birds towards the building.

Cynthia McCafferty, a spokesperson for McCormick Place, said the hall turns its lights on when staff, clients, or visitors are present. Lights are turned off when the building is empty. McCafferty could not confirm whether or not the lights were on in the early morning hours of October 5 when the collisions happened.

Both Prince and Sheppard said McCormick Place has been a point of concern for 40 years given its location.

"It's the first encounter on the lake that birds can run into," Prince said.

Sheppard also noted that its low stature means the building sits at vegetation level — the height at which most bird collisions occur. She called on McCormick Place to implement anti-collision measures on its large windows.

"The solution — and there are many, many different kinds of retrofits available — is to put something on that glass so that birds can see and avoid it," Sheppard told Insider.

Prince said McCormick Place should treat the glass to prevent daytime collisions and ensure lights are off at night to prevent nighttime collisions.

"Neither either of those options — always turning the lights out and retrofitting the glass — have happened," Prince said.

McCafferty did not answer Insider's question asking whether the event hall had plans to implement anti-collision window treatments. McCormick Place does maintain a six-acre bird sanctuary and works with the Chicago Field Museum to minimize their bird collisions, McCafferty said.

For Sheppard, the key to preventing future collision events is ensuring new buildings have anti-collision windows and that all structures are mindful of turning their lights off at night.

"The problem is if you turn the lights off on one building, the birds just hit the next one,"Sheppard said. "So to have a real impact, you have to turn down the lights in a wide area."

Anyone passing by the McCormick Place Lakeside Center in Chicago, Illinois, in the early morning hours on Thursday likely got quite the gruesome shock.

That's because almost 1,000 dead birds began raining from the sky as they all collided with the exhibit hall's windows on October 5.

Christine Sheppard, director of the glass collisions program for the American Bird Conservancy, told Insider the news made her stomach drop.

Now, anti-collision activists like Sheppard are calling on McCormick Place to make changes to protect migrating birds.

Bird collisions are nothing new for Chicago, but an event on this scale is an anomaly, according to Annette Prince, director of the Chicago Bird Collision Monitors. Prince said her organization typically sees thousands of deaths over the course of a year, making the mass collision on October 5 a disturbing outlier.

Weather conditions in recent days presented a perfect storm for a mass migration event, according to Prince.

Low cloud cover and favorable winds combined with the fall migration season contributed to a large amount of birds flying through the region. She also said that weather conditions had been poor for flight in recent days, meaning there was a back-up of birds waiting to migrate leading up to Thursday.

"All these things made the perfect storm for what caused such a huge event," Prince told Insider.

The main catalyst for the collision itself, however, was the lights inside building, according to Prince. Prince said McCormick Place had kept its lights on throughout the night on October 5 — something the rental hall has a history of doing, she said — which drew the mass of birds towards the building.

Cynthia McCafferty, a spokesperson for McCormick Place, said the hall turns its lights on when staff, clients, or visitors are present. Lights are turned off when the building is empty. McCafferty could not confirm whether or not the lights were on in the early morning hours of October 5 when the collisions happened.

Both Prince and Sheppard said McCormick Place has been a point of concern for 40 years given its location.

Sheppard also noted that its low stature means the building sits at vegetation level — the height at which most bird collisions occur. She called on McCormick Place to implement anti-collision measures on its large windows.

"The solution — and there are many, many different kinds of retrofits available — is to put something on that glass so that birds can see and avoid it," Sheppard told Insider.

Prince said McCormick Place should treat the glass to prevent daytime collisions and ensure lights are off at night to prevent nighttime collisions.

"Neither either of those options — always turning the lights out and retrofitting the glass — have happened," Prince said.

McCafferty did not answer Insider's question asking whether the event hall had plans to implement anti-collision window treatments. McCormick Place does maintain a six-acre bird sanctuary and works with the Chicago Field Museum to minimize their bird collisions, McCafferty said.

For Sheppard, the key to preventing future collision events is ensuring new buildings have anti-collision windows and that all structures are mindful of turning their lights off at night.

"The problem is if you turn the lights off on one building, the birds just hit the next one,"Sheppard said. "So to have a real impact, you have to turn down the lights in a wide area."

Thanks biden

• Haha
Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan
Yeah, I saw the whole thing. Very sad.
maxresdefault.jpg

You would think that after the first three or four hundred crashed and plummeted, the rest of the birds at the back of the formation would have figured out that something wasn’t quite right and veered or slowed down.

• Haha
Reactions: The Tradition
Stopped reading when I came to birds hitting a building being the “ absolute worst “ nightmare. I can think if many nightmares that would be worse…

You would think that after the first three or four hundred crashed and plummeted, the rest of the birds at the back of the formation would have figured out that something wasn’t quite right and veered or slowed down.
These are lake birds they say so I’m assuming ducks and such. It’s a miracle a person wasn’t killed by the falling bodies

Predation by domestic cats is the number-one direct, human-caused threat to birds in the United States and Canada. In the United States alone, outdoor cats kill approximately 2.4 billion birds every year. Although this number may seem unbelievable, it represents the combined impact of tens of millions of outdoor cats.

Reactions: BelemNole
Predation by domestic cats is the number-one direct, human-caused threat to birds in the United States and Canada. In the United States alone, outdoor cats kill approximately 2.4 billion birds every year. Although this number may seem unbelievable, it represents the combined impact of tens of millions of outdoor cats.

Yes, that kitty who shows up at your back door begging for food is a problem....

There’s a junkyard cat that is often on my roof. I think he kills the pigeons. He hasn’t bothered me any but I don’t know if he’s truly feral or not. He’s made it at least 3 years so he’s a hearty sob. I usually see him on my garage around 6:30-7 am just watching me leave for work. We have an understanding.

There’s a junkyard cat that is often on my roof. I think he kills the pigeons. He hasn’t bothered me any but I don’t know if he’s truly feral or not. He’s made it at least 3 years so he’s a hearty sob. I usually see him on my garage around 6:30-7 am just watching me leave for work. We have an understanding.

If he's killing pigeons then he's doing God's work.

You definitely are no Cigaretteman.

If he's killing pigeons then he's doing God's work.
Pigeons = flying rats...
Yeah I’m close to the rails that the grain trains run on in the fall to pickup from the bins. So we get pigeons and mice around here. The mice are not so bad I just make sure we’re all sealed up at the end of summer and put some stuff in the crawl space, but the pigeons are the hellhounds of the sky. always pooping and putting nests in random spots like on my outdoor speakers or attempts in the gutters but those don’t last long with old junkyard on the prowl.

QaLDQLj.jpg

Old Junkyard the cat got another pigeon this morning. Didn’t find a body so he took it off somewhere.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT