ADVERTISEMENT

11 Hezbollah dead. 4,000 injured. HITF?

soybean

HB King
Sep 30, 2001
How did Isreal, and I'm sure it was Israel, get thousands of rigged pagers into the hands of the Hezbollah in the first place? I know Isreal has some world class spooks, but this has to be one of the biggest f***up's of all time.

vvASL2.gif

How did Isreal, and I'm sure it was Israel, get thousands of rigged pagers into the hands of the Hezbollah in the first place? I know Isreal has some world class spooks, but this has to be one of the biggest f***up's of all time.
They somehow made it happen. Crazy skit. “ We won’t use cell phones because they can be traced…duh”

Apparently no added explosives:

A Hezbollah official cited by The Wall Street Journal (WSJ) said that hundreds of members had such pager devices, and speculated that malware could have caused them to heat up and explode. The same official cited by the WSJ said that some people felt the pagers heat up, disposing of them before they exploded.

Mossad (world champion bad asses) intercepted the shipments and loaded them up with an explosive substance first used by the Germans, in an example of supreme irony.

Reactions: NoleATL

A Hezbollah official cited by The Wall Street Journal (WSJ) said that hundreds of members had such pager devices, and speculated that malware could have caused them to heat up and explode. The same official cited by the WSJ said that some people felt the pagers heat up, disposing of them before they exploded.
The New York Times reports:

Israel carried out its operation against Hezbollah on Tuesday by hiding explosive material within a new batch of Taiwanese-made pagers imported into Lebanon, according to American and other officials briefed on the operation.
The pagers, which Hezbollah had ordered from Gold Apollo in Taiwan, had been tampered with before they reached Lebanon, according to some of the officials. Most were the company’s AP924 model, though three other Gold Apollo models were also included in the shipment.
The explosive material, as little as one to two ounces, was implanted next to the battery in each pager, two of the officials said. A switch was also embedded that could be triggered remotely to detonate the explosives.
At 3:30 p.m. in Lebanon, the pagers received a message that appeared as though it was coming from Hezbollah’s leadership, two of the officials said. Instead, the message activated the explosives. Lebanon’s health minister told state media at least nine people were killed and more than 2,800 injured.

I mean, as a person who is pretty broadly critical of almost any military action, I actually appreciate the attempt to precision-target leadership, BUT I can't help to fear that this is just the first day in a future that will be littered with carnage of this variety. It feels like a WWI-type dystopian tactical/armament advancement.

Reactions: Kelsers
Call me crazy, but I'm not a fan of killing folks indiscriminately. What if a child was holding that device?
Then you would blame their idiot terrorist dad for not being more careful and leaving his terrorist bat signal device out for anyone to have or see. I imagine the top five rules on those had never let anyone else know or see what it is and never misplace or lose.

I can imagine an SNL sketch with a very Jewish salesman trying to sell these to an Arab sheik.

JS Have I got a deal for you.

AS They seem a little expensive.

JS Well, because I like you so much, tell you what I am going to do, I am going to loose money on this, but how about this price.

AS Gosh, that is a great price, I will take 1,000 of them.

JS Great, you will have a blast with these.

I've gone back and forth on this, yes, there Is no way of knowing who will be in possession or the area. That being said, it was still more precise than any alternative

I stand by my position. Would you be happy if the United States did this and killed children? What if someone else did something like this to us? "well terrorist American shouldn't have opened that Asprin bottle".

I don't know. Feels pretty gross to me.

I stand by my position. Would you be happy if the United States did this and killed children? What if someone else did something like this to us? "well terrorist American shouldn't have opened that Asprin bottle".

Same as drones and the innocents they killed, right?

I mean, as a person who is pretty broadly critical of almost any military action, I actually appreciate the attempt to precision-target leadership, BUT I can't help to fear that this is just the first day in a future that will be littered with carnage of this variety. It feels like a WWI-type dystopian tactical/armament advancement.
Exactly. Like shooting at school kids, or shooting at presidents, everything becomes normalized eventually especially if efficient

Totally get it, and they launched a new style of warfare.

Strange times my friend, vote red. 😉

Malware per se didn't cause it. Mossad bought a bunch of pagers, planted explosives and flooded the pager market in Lebanon. The pagers were then detonated by an electronic signal. It wasn't 4d chess of blowing up lithium ion batteries. Source: ABC news

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT