ADVERTISEMENT

133 lbs. Preview: DeSanto

I think Todd hit the nail on the head when he says that his work ethic, combined with the coaching and workout partners are what makes AD a top tier contender.

We all know the hype coming from HS.His first college season was exactly what I expected. Hard work and talent are often not enough to get you where you want to go. Moving to Iowa in year 2 was exactly what he needed to make the jump.

I totally agree with Todd on this, if he is 33 this year, I think he wins it all, if he can keep emotions in check. If he moved up to 41, I think he is a fav for the finals.

This may sound like typical Iowa fan thinking, but this kid is unique. His pace is up there with the best we've had, his work ethic is elite and he's working in maybe the best lightweight situation ever, I think he makes an equal jump as he made last year, which if he does, puts him in the finals at 33 and 41 imo.

Expect to be watching him Sat night in Minny. He is a hammer like Gilman. Cant wait to see what he looks like this year with another year in the Hawk room. Not a pinner but very entertaining to watch.

Expect to be watching him Sat night in Minny. He is a hammer like Gilman. Cant wait to see what he looks like this year with another year in the Hawk room. Not a pinner but very entertaining to watch.

Lol I’ll bet they have to rotate workout partners with him frequently to avoid anyone’s biceps from getting torn off.

Last edited:
With Pletcher confirmed moving up to 141, I think AD takes it this year. Gross is funky and can squirm out of any shot it seems, but Austin's tank and constant moving forward will be too much for him.

Lol I’ll bet they have to rotate workout partners with him frequently to avoid anyone’s biceps from getting torn off.
Teach him a pinning move like Ramos. He can get guys tired enough to do that same thing. Of course he might just tech them before the first ends.

Reactions: Mattski
We all know the hype coming from HS.His first college season was exactly what I expected. Hard work and talent are often not enough to get you where you want to go. Moving to Iowa in year 2 was exactly what he needed to make the jump.

What does this mean? Are you saying being at Drexel was the reason he didn’t AA as a freshman? I like DeSanto, but if not for his epic meltdown against Delvecchio which had nothing to do with Drexel, he would have AA’d as a true freshman.

Reactions: artradley
What does this mean? Are you saying being at Drexel was the reason he didn’t AA as a freshman? I like DeSanto, but if not for his epic meltdown against Delvecchio which had nothing to do with Drexel, he would have AA’d as a true freshman.

It would have improved his chance at being a AA, unless you don’t believe in having like a half dozen badasses to throw at him in the room would make him a better all around wrestler. He didn’t have that at Drexel.

DeSanto is what he is at this point. People that think he is going to jump another level this season are going to be disappointed. Great gas tank, great competitor, but limited offensively with some issues on bottom and T&T aren't going to change that now. I do think he could place better than last year at 133 with all the redshirts however moving him to 141 and Teasdale at 133 is a big gamble that I think will backfire.

DeSanto is what he is at this point. People that think he is going to jump another level this season are going to be disappointed. Great gas tank, great competitor, but limited offensively with some issues on bottom and T&T aren't going to change that now. I do think he could place better than last year at 133 with all the redshirts however moving him to 141 and Teasdale at 133 is a big gamble that I think will backfire.

I tend to agree it is not likely he jumps levels again as a junior. He's probably already at his ceiling for tank and neutral offensive pressure, which are his bread and butter. To jump levels in performance, he'd have to make big gains in technique in his TD repertoire and mat wrestling to be dominant against upper tier guys. Granted, a lot of the upper tier will not be returning this season, and so DeSanto doesn't really need to jump levels technique-wise to jump levels on the podium.

Because of the expected team race, his matches with RBY are going bring ever more rabidity out of the fans. If RBY has put on some mass, these matches are going to be super f*n to watch.

Reactions: el dub
Thanks for the opinion jumping jaguar...

f637847082924d03275109a2b7a8f0c0.gif

What makes you think he will not be better in all of his weaker positions? Are you just trolling most likely! Im confident he will have more offense for the blocking backing up and keeping one hand back BS and Im also very confident he will much improved from bottom.

What kind of logic says the Drexel room is as good as the Iowa room and wrestlers don’t improve after their 2nd season in college? Dumb.

Oh, he'll improve. It's just a matter of how one defines the subjective concept of "jumping levels".

If it were so easy to fix weaknesses, Micah Jordan May have learned to escape from bottom.

Austin will win a lot of matches on tank and neutral alone. Who knows if that’s enough.

Reactions: chuck285
The biggest gains are between the first and second years in a college room and the second and third years.

Austin falls within the second category.

Terry Brands couldn’t beat Steve Martin in his second year in the Iowa room and was a National Champion in his third.

Tom Brands was 4th in the country in his second year, and National Champion in his third.

Doug Schwab was a qualifier in his second year and a National Champion in his third.

The list is long and distinguished of those that made “Big” gains in their third year.

The question is, “How much Work” did Austin DeSanto put in?”

The biggest gains are between the first and second years in a college room and the second and third years.

Austin falls within the second category.

Terry Brands couldn’t beat Steve Martin in his second year in the Iowa room and was a National Champion in his third.

Tom Brands was 4th in the country in his second year, and National Champion in his third.

Doug Schwab was a qualifier in his second year and a National Champion in his third.

The list is long and distinguished of those that made “Big” gains in their third year.

The question is, “How much Work” did Austin DeSanto put in?”
The one thing that makes this argument questionable is the level that guys are at straight out of HS, but I do agree for the most part. Iron sharpens Iron and the Hawk room is filled with Iron he will be pushed to make strides. And we know AD is working as hard as anyone.

The one thing that makes this argument questionable is the level that guys are at straight out of HS, but I do agree for the most part. Iron sharpens Iron and the Hawk room is filled with Iron he will be pushed to make strides. And we know AD is working as hard as anyone.

It doesn’t defeat the argument, it may limit the amount if total gain though.

Just because kids can be more “D1” ready, right out of the gate doesn’t mean they cannot still improve.

AD is much more like a Brands than like Spencer

What’s that exactly? A kid who posted a 188-7 career record in PA who was a brain fart away from being a two time all American at this point? Then I’m sure there’s no way you could possibly think verkleeren or berge will be jumping any levels...no, no way! They are what they are. Just decent folk wrestlers. See, don’t be an antagonist here when everybody knows you’re posting praise with your brethren about less accomplished college wrestlers. It’s unbecoming and hypocritical. But then again, I guess that’s why you do it. I’ll say less. Carry on with your jay leno chin lord.

Showed your dick in this post Tigs... Bad look even for you.

Reactions: el dub
As far as “jumping levels” between Soph and Jr years, I think it’s relevant if a guy does not take his RS as a Frosh. That kid only has two years of college under their belt whereas another kid would have three.

I don’t know if Austin is going to go to another level, but he imo needs only some small adjustments to be the top wrestler in his weight at neutral.

I do think the “clearing out” of 133 is exaggerated, though. With a former national champion returning 133 is still a loaded weight class.

For all ......AD has improved already which is easily visible in practice sessions. He has more attacks and is better getting out from bottom. Remember it's only week 2 of official practices and along way to go before nationals.
He also has far better practice partners than last year just with the addition of Teasdale.

For all ......AD has improved already which is easily visible in practice sessions. He has more attacks and is better getting out from bottom. Remember it's only week 2 of official practices and along way to go before nationals.
He also has far better practice partners than last year just with the addition of Teasdale.

Quit using sound logic please.. It doesn’t work here.

As far as “jumping levels” between Soph and Jr years, I think it’s relevant if a guy does not take his RS as a Frosh. That kid only has two years of college under their belt whereas another kid would have three.

I don’t know if Austin is going to go to another level, but he imo needs only some small adjustments to be the top wrestler in his weight at neutral.

I do think the “clearing out” of 133 is exaggerated, though. With a former national champion returning 133 is still a loaded weight class.

His carry is elite. The fact he’s hitting it on top competition at this level is impressive. He needs to be able to score though when guys aren’t giving him that inside elbow tie. That will be everyone’s game plan against him. Hopefully he’s working on another go to alternative in neutral beyond just running people off the mat.

Reactions: armbartilt
I think one of the biggest gains desanto can make coming into this season is a mental one. He's an upper class man now and if his mental state continues to improve I think he can contend with anyone, Olympic red shirts included. Wrestling vs lee so often will make you better on bottom and I don't recall him getting ridden very often last year compared to his freshman year. That position doesn't concern me at all

His carry is elite. The fact he’s hitting it on top competition at this level is impressive. He needs to be able to score though when guys aren’t giving him that inside elbow tie. That will be everyone’s game plan against him. Hopefully he’s working on another go to alternative in neutral beyond just running people off the mat.

His snap is lethal, especially late in the match. I assume he will also have a go-to move for anyone who decides to wrestle with one arm behind their back.

He needs better finishes against funk, and he needs to find a way to get out against leg riders.

it would also help if he behaves better on the mat so the officials aren’t on a hair trigger with him. There were matches when he was up against a singlet and a striped shirt at the same time.

Last edited:
Almost everyone with the kind of work ethic of AD continue to improve throughout their careers (hes up there with Barry, Ironside, Alger and the Brands in that department)

His main weakness is bottom wrestling, that cost him big time Fix also at big tens

When he is on bottom it speeds the match up for his
opponent, AD doesn't get the chance to put pressure on with his pace

If he improves that one at that position the way I expect, he will look like a totally different wrestler vs the best guys

Kinda reminds me of Ironside, once he started getting out vs the best guys he never lost again

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT