ADVERTISEMENT

1st round match ups based on pre seeds

so cal hawkfan

HR All-American
Jun 5, 2012
Whittier CA
The Hawks are in prime position to get out to an early lead if the seeds hold up as is. Based on the pre-seeds our first round should look like this:

125- Gillman vs Bye
133- Clark vs Dom Malone Northwestern (Look for bonus points here)
141- Dziewa vs Javier Gasca MSU (Gasca is tough outta Cali, but limited action here and wrestling up from 133)
149- Sorensen vs Bye
157- Kelly vs Louis Mascola Maryland ( split two matches here, need the tough Mike Kelly to show up)
165- Moore vs Pat Robinson Purdue ( Nick can earn Bonus Points here)
174- Evans vs Nick Proctor MSU ( Bonus Point City here)
184- Brooks vs Bye
197- Burak vs Rob Fitzgerald Maryland ( Burak can't wrestle conservative here, he's gotta get after him for Bonus Points
Hwt- Bobby T vs. Garrett Goldman Indiana

Toough goes at 141 and 157 other than that we should get big points early.

Not so fun fact - Gilman has 3 losses...all in OT. He is very capable of winning it all this year if he sets his mind to being aggressive in the first period. I'd love to see him take it to Delgado. Will Delgado even make it to the B1G finals?

+1. Wish we could be there, but very happy for you, AF. You'll have a blast, I'm sure. Big Tens these days are every bit as exciting as Nationals, IMO.

morning guys,are we there yet. always get exited this time of year cant wait and then am a little depressed after its over, waiting for the next year. I am somewhat scared of Gasca, kid was wrestling well early in the year at 133. it is a match josh has to win.arent the byes drawn for.
This post was edited on 3/3 6:28 AM by wasdt21

Originally posted by AFHawk86:

Not so fun fact - Gilman has 3 losses...all in OT. He is very capable of winning it all this year if he sets his mind to being aggressive in the first period. I'd love to see him take it to Delgado. Will Delgado even make it to the B1G finals?
I do not think that Delgado makes it to the finals. If he does, Gilman will need to push the action. Delgado can definitely make that clock tick down and he absolutely has the talent to win in a one takedown match.

I just think that Tomasello's pace is going to prove to be too much for Delgado due to the injury/lay off.

--Ohio

We don't know yet what the 1st round match ups will be. The 2 byes in each round are drawn in as are the unseeded wrestlers.

I agree. I don't think that Delgado makes the finals, I see him losing to Tomasello. Similar to what he did to McDonough a couple of years ago....comes back to bite him here.

If Tomasello does beat Delgado, I'll enjoy reminding Jesse that "Good technique beats funk every time."

Originally posted by WWDMHawkeye:
If Tomasello does beat Delgado, I'll enjoy reminding Jesse that "Good technique beats funk every time."
I don't think it's a case of if WWDM, its when Tomasello beats him. Delgado has looked terrible coming back from an injury
(sucks wrestling hurt when you're a 2X Champ 3 X AA don't it Jessie?) I love how Hawkeye fans are so loyal to a former Hawk (McD) that we're routing for a guy (Tomasello) to beat the guy who beat McD. Tomasello winning and advancing to the finals likely hurts the Hawks in the team race as the Bucks will likely be right behind us in the rear view mirror. Not a lot of room for slip ups, it's going to be a dog fight. During that match I will be a Buckeye fan for sure.

Gillman v Tomasello makes me nervous as always however. I don't think Tomasello has ever beat him. He's like 0-4 or 0-5 against him, but every match is close. Tomasello's a scrapper.

Hoping Gilman gets on top and tries to rip off that shoulder. Delgado now knows what McD had to wrestle through and is getting some karma back at him.

I would expect the number 1 & 2 seeds will get byes in the weights where all 14 (& 13 @ 174) wrestlers are seeded, so Brooks should get Bye, but Gilman and Sorensen may not necessarily get a bye. Brooks & Evans get byes in the first round and win their quarterfinal match, they should get 2 points (1 + 1 for bye) for advancement and 6th place placement points plus any bonus points they might earn. Gilman and Sorensen would get same points by winning ther first 2 matches, if they do not have a bye, but have an opportunity to gain bonus points in their first match that Brooks & Evans would not get. I would be happy with the risk of a loss versus the opportunity for bonus points.
Not sure about this, but seems to make sense to me. It will be the first time the Big Ten will have 14 Wrestlers per weight class.

This post was edited on 3/3 8:10 AM by RobinHawk

I've been wondering if Delgado will medical forfeit out once things don't go his way. I was thinking maybe in part to his injury, but I'm sure his coaches would also like to get him some matches.

Originally posted by so cal hawkfan:
Originally posted by WWDMHawkeye:
During that match I will be a Buckeye fan for sure.
Not me. The biggest threat to beat Iowa at Big Tens is tOSU. Gilman can stomp him just fine in the finals and I will get my cake and get to eat it too.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT