ADVERTISEMENT

Oregon State Grades

Redm18

HR MVP
Feb 16, 2020
125 f Drake looked bad here. I know he is better than this hopefully he knows it. Looked slow and tired
133 b+ got bonus points. While he is not a world beater we will need him to do well to win duals
141 A- would have hoped for a better top game.
149 B felt good that we got the stalling calls I think they were fair. Would have preferred more early.
157 B did not look like the number 2 guy to me.
165 no grade missed half the match
174 A+ going to make Tom make a tough decision. Take down was good ride was excellent.
184 NA way over matched
197 A I like our guy but would kind of like something a bit more exotic.
285 going to be a long year I think.

Reactions: honkey69
125 - D mental mistake cost him. Didn't help that the ref didn't know about being able to call stalling
133 - B+ Beat a good opponent
141 - B+ Opponent was high quality
149 - D Can't finish takedowns
157 - B Won and controlled match
165 - C+ Sloppy early
174 - B+ quality opponent, no mistakes, too sparse on scoring - great debut
184 - F Totally outclassed
197 - B Several nice takedowns
HWY - D

125 - I thought you were generous with your F grade. No sense of urgency, let OgSt dictate the pace. Terrible match.

133 - B+ Responded to early takedown by picking up the place and taking control of the match.

141 - A+ really liked seeing Woods change up his game plan when it was obvious his opponent was going to belly out and the ref would not call him for it. Too often last year he would have shut down and taken a 6-0, 7-0 type of win.

149 - C VV3 just couldn't finish those shots. That could have been a MD, gotta find a way to finish those. Anyone hear an engine revving today?

157 - B- Franek comes in with high expectations. Not a great effort but was never in question.

165 - B Rolled around and gave up 2 early TDs. Then proceeded to outscore opponent 14-4 and was in on another opportunity as time expired. Love the motor and attack rate.

174 - A True frosh beats an AA in his first ever match! Not sure how things shake out when Kennedy is ready to return but Gabe served notice today. He's gonna be in the mix.

184 - D Swafford was just out-classed in every way. He will win some matches for us but he's just not at that level. Truax would have looked great here.

197 - B Glazier is a tough SOB but hopefully we have a higher octane model available soon.

HWT - C Appreciate the effort but Hill is undersized and he's probably better at Freestyle than Folk. Placeholder until AJ or BK are ready.

Overall - B-
We got the win but OgSt isn't close to a top 10 team. Barring a couple of high placing sports cars this could likely be our worst season since Brands first season. We had 1 guy who looked like a Saturday nighter today.

Sorry for being tardy but went to Ohio st vs Hofstra(shit show) right after watching IOWA

125 Lee uh sorry, like I said will take some time, Ayala, as OP said, did not look 100%, usually has a much higher pace. was using the flyby/shrug but almost seemed like just for show instead of trying to score. played right into opponents game plan and cost him give him a 55 for showing up

133 Teske gave up 1st TD which seemed like a trend for us this meet. Showed a tuff ride then in middle of 2nd I am not sure what in hell he was trying almost put on his back!?!?!. did get major think it was worth a grade of 80

141 Woods, ranked opponent who didn't do much but play defense and stall give him a 90

149 Triple V 3, as people said correctly, he needs work on Takedowns. Never gave up kept attacking got the stalling call and TD to pull out the win 75

157 Franek that OR st kid was HUGE gave him some trouble but not TWOOO much give him the 83

165 Caliendo Thought he got a little sloppy on 1st shot/finish then realized how funky the OR st guy was with counters. That kid is going to give guys some trouble! In any case there was a challenge during the match by OR and the point about how challenges work has to be discussed.

Caliendo Was awarded the TD and then a quick Stalemate was blown. They challenge and here is the problem in this situation, If OR wins, then Caliendo gets screwed because he was in good position to keep fighting had he needed to. With the action stopped, he doesn't have that chance so a challenge in that situation should have to be overruled! I give him an 80

174 ARNOLD Ranked opponent # 11 1st match at Carver, showed incredible power when finishing on first shot. Tuff ride/ mat returns to wear guy down and kill some clock. 100!!! Still would have him shirt this year as the next 3 weights are ugly!!!

184 Swafford Out gunned against #3 what can ya say, thanks for coming? give him a 60

197 Glazier, just does not look like a 197, put in good solid work after giving up first TD 82

Heavy Hill Feed went dead and did not see how match turned out but we are in trouble here too!!!

Same OLD MAT, not sure why we can't get a new one? Maybe give that to the girls team, or maybe have the girls team spring for a new mat to share? Maybe cut it up into 6x6 inch pieces have it signed and sell it to raise $$$$?

Please do something and soon. Crowd looked good, Refs, and play by play peeps OK

Last edited:
Reactions: Redm18
Sorry for being tardy but went to Ohio st vs Hofstra(shit show) right after watching IOWA

125 Lee uh sorry, like I said will take some time, Ayala, as OP said, did not look 100%, usually has a much higher pace. was using the flyby/shrug but almost seemed like just for show instead of trying to score. played right into opponents game plan and cost him give him a 55 for showing up

133 Teske gave up 1st TD which seemed like a trend for us this meet. Showed a tuff ride then in middle of 2nd I am not sure what in hell he was trying almost put on his back!?!?!. did get major think it was worth a grade of 80

141 Woods, ranked opponent who didn't do much but play defense and stall give him a 90

149 Triple V 3, as people said correctly, he needs work on Takedowns. Never gave up kept attacking got the stalling call and TD to pull out the win 75

157 Franek that OR st kid was HUGE gave him some trouble but not TWOOO much give him the 83

165 Caliendo Thought he got a little sloppy on 1st shot/finish then realized how funky the OR st guy was with counters. That kid is going to give guys some trouble! In any case there was a challenge during the match by OR and the point about how challenges work has to be discussed.

Caliendo Was awarded the TD and then a quick Stalemate was blown. They challenge and here is the problem in this situation, If OR wins, then Caliendo gets screwed because he was in good position to keep fighting had he needed to. With the action stopped, he doesn't have that chance so a challenge in that situation should have to be overruled! I give him an 80

174 ARNOLD Ranked opponent # 11 1st match at Carver, showed incredible power when finishing on first shot. Tuff ride/ mat returns to wear guy down and kill some clock. 100!!! Still would have him shirt this year as the next 3 weights are ugly!!!

184 Swafford Out gunned against #3 what can ya say, thanks for coming? give him a 60

197 Glazier, just does not look like a 197, put in good solid work after giving up first TD 82

Heavy Hill Feed went dead and did not see how match turned out but we are in trouble here too!!!

Same OLD MAT, not sure why we can't get a new one? Maybe give that to the girls team, or maybe have the girls team spring for a new mat to share? Maybe cut it up into 6x6 inch pieces have it signed and sell it to raise $$$$?

Please do something and soon. Crowd looked good, Refs, and play by play peeps OK
Girls have at least two brand new mats.

• Wow
Reactions: IRONBIRD
VV needs to find an answer to the wizzer, he's completely neutralized.
No td game whatsoever.
I also thought Swafford had more game than that. I realize the guy was number 3 but that was not what I was expecting..
Drake, don't even know what to say, thought he had an outside chance to win it all this year.
Going to be a rough year.

Reactions: Pakman770
125 - D mental mistake cost him. Didn't help that the ref didn't know about being able to call stalling
133 - B+ Beat a good opponent
141 - B+ Opponent was high quality
149 - D Can't finish takedowns
157 - B Won and controlled match
165 - C+ Sloppy early
174 - B+ quality opponent, no mistakes, too sparse on scoring - great debut
184 - F Totally outclassed
197 - B Several nice takedowns
HWY - D
Well graded.

Hofstra has a dual with Penn State coming up as well.

• Haha
Reactions: IRONBIRD
VV needs to find an answer to the wizzer, he's completely neutralized.
No td game whatsoever.
I also thought Swafford had more game than that. I realize the guy was number 3 but that was not what I was expecting..
Drake, don't even know what to say, thought he had an outside chance to win it all this year.
Going to be a rough year.
Swaff was not an especially big 174, definitely not a big 184. Qualifying will be a good year for him. Yes the gambling has a couple guys out but Brands has let things get away. Bottom line is he needs to figure out how to identify, recruit and land way more high level wrestlers than he has been. He isn't a good enough coach to make lemonade from lemons.

The tv guy thought he was announcing a freestyle meet at first. Kind of embarrassing.

I was glad we won... some early season jitters and some correctable mistakes were made. The underlying feeling i had during the match was... We might beat these guys by a large margin but this type of effort will not float next week against Iowa State. The other thought that kept creeping in was ... Man I sure miss that starting duo of Lee and DeSanto they DEFINITELY got the crowd into the matches

To look at a few positives, VV was aggressive, sure he didn’t finish but taking shots seems to be lacking in previous years. Same with Caliendo, give me a guy who’s aggressive and willing to give up a td and continue to push forward. Should show Ayala that same pace.
Negatives, well there’s so pretty low spots in the lineup this year. Iowa is no psu with top 10 depth and it’s gonna be tough to watch a few guys go.

Wish there was sports cars ready to go at 3-4 weights, but I’ll take 2 come January. Please let there be 2.

As Good as HE BELIEVES he can be... the sky is the limit with this kid. he needs to open up his offensive attack and keep his hips clamped on to his opponent while he is riding- top. Just an opinion from the cheap seats
He wrestles a lot like Joe Williams often did. I hope he can be as successful, but I'm really hoping he doesn't waste his true Freshman year like Williams ended up doing. If he goes this year, I hope he doesn't regret it.

Reactions: HawkeyePA
He wrestles a lot like Joe Williams often did. I hope he can be as successful, but I'm really hoping he doesn't waste his true Freshman year like Williams ended up doing. If he goes this year, I hope he doesn't regret it.
It's hard to think long term at that age. This is when the coaches need to step in.

I'm torn on this one but thank God I'm not part of the decision making process. It's clear to me that Gabe can roll around with the best guys and win. And he appears healthy which is a huge factor. Everybody gets banged up as the season progresses and as the years start accumulating, but Gabe hasn't had any major injuries yet? So do you roll him out healthy and let the chips fall where they may and in my opinion he AA's?

Or do you wrestle him 4 times and redshirt him as this year Iowa has no chance to win it or be in the mix? If Gave keeps making progress offensively he's going to be a real problem as his defense is world class. If this happens he could go down as an all timer at Iowa if he can rip off 3 titles in his career. I'd say 4 but keep in mind O'Toole is more than likely bumping to 174 next year. Not saying a healthy Gabe can't beat him but O'Toole would be the prohibitive favorite to start the season.

Reactions: TNTwrestle
I think it's probably a bit of an anomaly with covid and guys being extra old but I have not really seen awesome things out of any guys six plus years out of high school lately in NCAA wrestling. I think the season ends up being a bit of a a meat grinder that gets worse the older guys are especially when they maybe come into college with 500+ matches already under their belt and old injuries that are probably already arthritis affected. If you add the transfer portal in I have no issue burning shirts and using guys when they are healthy.

Reactions: AFHawk86
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT