ADVERTISEMENT

2 Pitt head scratchers

hexumhawk

HB Legend
Sep 24, 2003
North Liberty
I know it is always easy to second guess but I was convinced Narduzzi was going to go the other way on these:

1) 4th and 1- cant believe we got them to punt in that situation for the second week in a row. Are we using Jedi mind tricks on the other coaches? Throw in the very short punt and they probably netted like 20 yards maybe.

2) This one I haven't heard talked about yet. I was certain they would go for 2 instead of kick the extra point when they took the lead late. I thought they had all the momentum and their coach seemed fired up and looked like they wanted to go for it but decided to kick it. At that point in the game we weren't covering well and I would have liked Pitt's chances to score there.

I thought they would go for two as well, but maybe Narduzzi thought he was playing Kirk 2.0 so we would just take a knee?

I thought they would go for two as well, but maybe Narduzzi thought he was playing Kirk 2.0 so we would just take a knee?
Good point. I wonder if Narduzzi was indeed thinking that Iowa would just play for overtime. Especially with the squib kick.

I think you go for 2 if there are only a few seconds left. If you go for 2 with almost a minute (we had over 50 seconds, right?) then it puts our backs against the wall and we do everything we can to get a field goal. I'm sure Pitt figured we'd only make a half hearted attempt on the final drive with a tied score, essentially just us playing for overtime. Of course, we went for their throat in regulation and won by three so it didn't really matter.

Not going for it on 4th down was a big head scratcher to me.

I know it is always easy to second guess but I was convinced Narduzzi was going to go the other way on these:

1) 4th and 1- cant believe we got them to punt in that situation for the second week in a row. Are we using Jedi mind tricks on the other coaches? Throw in the very short punt and they probably netted like 20 yards maybe.

2) This one I haven't heard talked about yet. I was certain they would go for 2 instead of kick the extra point when they took the lead late. I thought they had all the momentum and their coach seemed fired up and looked like they wanted to go for it but decided to kick it. At that point in the game we weren't covering well and I would have liked Pitt's chances to score there.

Generally teams go for 2 in that situation if they feel they are lucky to be tying the game up and their odds are not good in OT. My guess is Narduzzi thought his team had played well in the second half (it did) and he considered his team equal to or better than Iowa.

And I have no idea on the 4th an 1 and why he didn't go for it. On the plus side of the field, momentum on his side, a QB sneak has a very good chance of making it. The punt netted only 27 yards after Pitt took the delay of game and then punted.

Actually other than the drive to tie the game Pitt didn't do much on offense the second half. I think they had like 130 yards in the second half with most of that coming on their game-tying drive.

The group I was watching the game with felt the same way. Pitt will go for two as they were on a roll. Go Hawks!

With the lead and their defense I think it was a good idea to try and pin us back. Instead of taking a chance of turning it over at mid-field.
Unfortunately their punter screwed up.

I also was thinking two but if they missed it, game over. Make it and Iowa still had almost a minute with two TO to get in position for a field goal.

Both tough calls, always easy to second guess.

Can't believe they didn't go for it on 4th and an inch on our 40 yard line. Probably the decision that ended up costing them the game. Went full Ferentz there.

Can't believe they didn't go for it on 4th and an inch on our 40 yard line. Probably the decision that ended up costing them the game. Went full Ferentz there.
Refreshing that two opponents have helped us in this fashion already this year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT