ADVERTISEMENT

20 Year Old Missing After Night in Iowa City

One of the things that is actually pretty common with very drunk people is for them to walk into a house that isn't theirs. Former Ole Miss QB Chad Kelly was the butt of a lot of jokes for walking into someone's house and sitting down on their couch. It actually happens a LOT, likely way more than we hear about.
I know this story first hand as should all of our Iowa City GOIAOTers. This happened at our Lucas St apartments in 2008. The cops took the front door off the unit as the blood spatters were part of the evidence. A drunken Curtis Fry stumbled into the wrong apartment, passed out only to be awakened by the elderly tenant. Fry beat the old man and he ended up dead. I helped tear out the bloody carpet and replace the flooring. Somehow Fry only served 4 years and has been trying to make amends ever since. McEwen is buried in the Jewish Cemetery on Linder Road. A short synopsis...

Curtis Fry grew up in a strong Christian family in Wilton. But one night in February 2008 he made a bad choice. It was a night that ended with him beating a man to death in Iowa City.

"I wish I could take back that night," Fry told students at the Iowa Mennonite School near Kalona. "I made a choice on my 21st birthday where I decided to do exactly what the world expects you to do. And what is that? Drink, get drunk, kind of that passage into manhood."

But that passage into manhood turned Fry's life upside down - a sudden arrest by Iowa City police.

"They stand me up, turn me around, put handcuffs on me, and say, 'Curtis Fry, we're charging you with second degree murder; for the murder of Mr. Patrick McEwen,'" Fry said.

Fry told the students the choices they make every day can have serious consequences in their lives. His choices that night led to a drunken stupor.

He broke into an Iowa City apartment where 75-year-old Patrick McEwen lived. He has no memory of it and can only guess what happened.

"Mr. McEwen came, trying to wake me up, let me know I was in the wrong place. I, thinking I was being intruded on, grabbed him, punched him multiple times, and then I ended up leaving," Fry said.

www.kcrg.com

Curtis Fry's nightmare becomes message of hope

Several times a month different student groups, church groups, and others hear a young man tell how important it is to make the right choices in life.
www.kcrg.com
www.kcrg.com

I know this story first hand as should all of our Iowa City GOIAOTers. This happened at our Lucas St apartments in 2008. The cops took the front door off the unit as the blood spatters were part of the evidence. A drunken Curtis Fry stumbled into the wrong apartment, passed out only to be awakened by the elderly tenant. Fry beat the old man and he ended up dead. I helped tear out the bloody carpet and replace the flooring. Somehow Fry only served 4 years and has been trying to make amends ever since. McEwen is buried in the Jewish Cemetery on Linder Road. A short synopsis...

Curtis Fry grew up in a strong Christian family in Wilton. But one night in February 2008 he made a bad choice. It was a night that ended with him beating a man to death in Iowa City.

"I wish I could take back that night," Fry told students at the Iowa Mennonite School near Kalona. "I made a choice on my 21st birthday where I decided to do exactly what the world expects you to do. And what is that? Drink, get drunk, kind of that passage into manhood."

But that passage into manhood turned Fry's life upside down - a sudden arrest by Iowa City police.

"They stand me up, turn me around, put handcuffs on me, and say, 'Curtis Fry, we're charging you with second degree murder; for the murder of Mr. Patrick McEwen,'" Fry said.

Fry told the students the choices they make every day can have serious consequences in their lives. His choices that night led to a drunken stupor.

He broke into an Iowa City apartment where 75-year-old Patrick McEwen lived. He has no memory of it and can only guess what happened.

"Mr. McEwen came, trying to wake me up, let me know I was in the wrong place. I, thinking I was being intruded on, grabbed him, punched him multiple times, and then I ended up leaving," Fry said.

www.kcrg.com

Several times a month different student groups, church groups, and others hear a young man tell how important it is to make the right choices in life.
www.kcrg.com
www.kcrg.com
I had totally forgotten about that whole ordeal.

Reactions: Hawkfan_08
A friend's brother went out with friends to downtown IC. He had 2 beers and felt fine. A girl friend (not his girlfriend) suddenly didn't want her drink anymore, so he drank it for her.

Turns out the drink was roofied and he woke up on some random front steps out by the Fareway on the west side around 4am, scratched and dirty. Zero recollection as to how he got there.

My first thought often in these cases is suicide more than foul play or accidents where the body has not been, and sometimes never will be, found.

While I was a student at William & Mary we had a student go missing. It took a bit of time due to it being the early 90s but they were able to follow a credit card bill where he left his fraternity party, drove to DC, took a red eye to San Francisco, took a taxi to Golden Gate Bridge area, walked it and jumped that very morning, like about 10 - 14 hours from being last seen seemingly fine and happy at a party in Williamsburg VA.

A friend's brother went out with friends to downtown IC. He had 2 beers and felt fine. A girl friend (not his girlfriend) suddenly didn't want her drink anymore, so he drank it for her.

Turns out the drink was roofied and he woke up on some random front steps out by the Fareway on the west side around 4am, scratched and dirty. Zero recollection as to how he got there.
Special place in hell for People that roofie drinks.

My first thought often in these cases is suicide more than foul play or accidents where the body has not been, and sometimes never will be, found.

While I was a student at William & Mary we had a student go missing. It took a bit of time due to it being the early 90s but they were able to follow a credit card bill where he left his fraternity party, drove to DC, took a red eye to San Francisco, took a taxi to Golden Gate Bridge area, walked it and jumped that very morning, like about 10 - 14 hours from being last seen seemingly fine and happy at a party in Williamsburg VA.
Jesus.

Not trying to make light of the situation in any way, but was he originally from the SF/Bay Area? Heck of a long & arduous way to go to end your own life, if not.

I was rarely at risk for a river plunge, but if you were going to find my dead body after a night out it would have been on the like ~.75 mile stretch of railroad between the Club Car and the alley in between Dodge and Lucas streets.

I was and still am a lover of trains and I would occasionally catch a ride home on a east bound freight train right outside the CC. They always went very slow, easy hop on, ride across the bridge over Gilbert, through the "yard" a bit, under Dodge and then jump off near the alley and climb up over the fence.

In hindsight, that was fairly stupid.
Did this one night in 2004 with some buddies. We were shit faced, hopped a moving train right where you said. Rode it for a few blocks, then hopped off. Walked into a house party and in the light everyone could see that were were covered in black soot. Felt pretty dumb after that.

Reactions: ThorneStockton

www.kcrg.com

www.kcrg.com
www.kcrg.com

What a sad and horrible story all around.

What a sad and horrible story all around.
I don't find an excuse in this idiot's christian redemption. He killed a man. Simple as shit. I don't care if he was intoxicated and went into the wrong home. Dude should be in pound town prison stamping out license plates. Motivational speaker my ass. What a joke.

Any chance he passed out in a dumpster and got taken to the dump the next morning?

The Iowa City Police Department has begun scouring the Iowa River and Ralston Creek in search of a 20-year-old Muscatine man who was last seen early Saturday, according to authorities.

Cristian Martinez was last seen walking west in the 100 block of W. Harrison Street, south of downtown, about 12:56 a.m. Saturday. His phone had died earlier in the evening and his loved ones have been unable to reach him.

Based on the direction Martinez was walking, police are concerned he may have ended up at the Iowa River. The Iowa City Police Department worked with Johnson County Emergency Management and the Army Corps of Engineers to reduce the flow from the Coralville Reservoir to help search the river for Martinez.

Advertisement

Boats and drones have been used to search the river. Police have also searched nearby railroad tracks and Ralston Creek, and have obtained surveillance video from Iowa City, the University of Iowa, Johnson County and other private video. They’ve also reviewed Martinez’ bank account and cellphone activity, according to a news release.

Anyone who may have info about Martinez’ location is asked to contact the police department at (319) 356-5275.

• Sad
Reactions: GOHOX69
Special place in hell for People that roofie drinks.
I had a rather odd experience at The Hurricane here in KC back in the day, late 90's-ish. Went out with the ex-wife (no pic) and a bunch of friends. I wasn't in the most festive of moods so I had two mixed drinks. I don't remember a thing after that, the rest of the night, the ride home, going to bed, etc. I woke up the next morning laying across the bed. On our way to give a friend a ride home, we had to pull over so I could puke. It was nuts.

I had a rather odd experience at The Hurricane here in KC back in the day, late 90's-ish. Went out with the ex-wife (no pic) and a bunch of friends. I wasn't in the most festive of moods so I had two mixed drinks. I don't remember a thing after that, the rest of the night, the ride home, going to bed, etc. I woke up the next morning laying across the bed. On our way to give a friend a ride home, we had to pull over so I could puke. It was nuts.
Only experience I've had was at a low key party at a friends. A friend invited a friend. He made drinks for everyone. Another friend (female) said she didnt want hers, so another friend said he'd take it. The new guy dipped shortly after, which was odd at the time, but we all didn't think much of it. The friend that took the drink was out quick. Ruined that party real f*cking fast. We never saw that guy again, which was for the best.

Oh boy, this has happened to me...in my mid 30's. My wife (no pics) and I were out with another couple at a bar. Buddy and I had gone drink for drink, so he knows exactly how much I've had, which wasn't very much. I must have gotten something slipped into my drink because it wasn't long before I started going downhill. Started pleading with my wife and friends to take me home because something was "off". They kind of blew me off not believing I could be that bad because Dean, my buddy, was fine and we had been drinking the same drinks. So they thought it would be a good idea to maybe go to the place across the street and get some food in me. Went completely downhill from there and they had to pour my half-unconscious body into the car and get me home at like 9PM.

Yep, was totally roofied. I don't know if it was the bartender just thinking it would be funny or if somebody slipped me something while I wasn't looking because they thought it would be funny or if they were trying to slip something to one of our wives or what. I was just lucky I had people with me to get me home. It was not funny.

The Iowa City Police Department has begun scouring the Iowa River and Ralston Creek in search of a 20-year-old Muscatine man who was last seen early Saturday, according to authorities.

Cristian Martinez was last seen walking west in the 100 block of W. Harrison Street, south of downtown, about 12:56 a.m. Saturday. His phone had died earlier in the evening and his loved ones have been unable to reach him.

Based on the direction Martinez was walking, police are concerned he may have ended up at the Iowa River. The Iowa City Police Department worked with Johnson County Emergency Management and the Army Corps of Engineers to reduce the flow from the Coralville Reservoir to help search the river for Martinez.

Advertisement

Boats and drones have been used to search the river. Police have also searched nearby railroad tracks and Ralston Creek, and have obtained surveillance video from Iowa City, the University of Iowa, Johnson County and other private video. They’ve also reviewed Martinez’ bank account and cellphone activity, according to a news release.

Anyone who may have info about Martinez’ location is asked to contact the police department at (319) 356-5275.

In undergrad my wife (girlfriend at the time) and I were walking home from the bars pretty hammered, and she wanted to go swimming in Ralston creek. I said no, obvi. Csb.

Buddy of mine got roofied at the Hurricane once too. Still not sure if it was on purpose or on accident. Another friend of mine for roofied at The Phoenix. Two drinks and she was an absolute mess…glad we were there to take care of her. KC must be where it’s at for a good roofie-ing!

Buddy of mine got roofied at the Hurricane once too. Still not sure if it was on purpose or on accident. Another friend of mine for roofied at The Phoenix. Two drinks and she was an absolute mess…glad we were there to take care of her. KC must be where it’s at for a good roofie-ing!
So effed up.

Buddy of mine got drunk and went in the wrong house back when we were in college. Crashed on the couch thinking he was home. Got woken up by some toddler boy asking his mommy why there was this guy lying on the couch. I asked WTF did you do then? He said she had made breakfast so he sat down and ate breakfast with her and the kid. Said it was kind of awkward.

About 20 some years ago I owned a house about two blocks off main street where all the bars were at. Laying in bed one night and heard somebody come in the front door. Come down the stairs and there is a guy standing in the entrance. I ask him WTF he's doing? I'm here for the party. I said look around, the house is dark, there is no party here. Oh, my bad, so he turns around and leaves. I had forgotten to lock the front door.

CSBs.

My wife (gf at the time) was roofied in IC back in 2008. It was minutes away from being very very bad. The ind responsible probably regrets his decision every day.

My sister and cousin were roofied in Ankeny a few years back and it was crazy to see first hand. From normal having a couple of drinks to crawling on the floor unable to get up in an hour.

Any updates on this sad story?
There is talk that he was seen on or near the Benton St. bridge.
I know they reduced the flow from the Res, but I thought the river is pretty low already? Sad to say, but after several days he could have been washed downstream with the heavy rains over the weekend, and be hung up somewhere.

Oh boy, this has happened to me...in my mid 30's. My wife (no pics) and I were out with another couple at a bar. Buddy and I had gone drink for drink, so he knows exactly how much I've had, which wasn't very much. I must have gotten something slipped into my drink because it wasn't long before I started going downhill. Started pleading with my wife and friends to take me home because something was "off". They kind of blew me off not believing I could be that bad because Dean, my buddy, was fine and we had been drinking the same drinks. So they thought it would be a good idea to maybe go to the place across the street and get some food in me. Went completely downhill from there and they had to pour my half-unconscious body into the car and get me home at like 9PM.

Yep, was totally roofied. I don't know if it was the bartender just thinking it would be funny or if somebody slipped me something while I wasn't looking because they thought it would be funny or if they were trying to slip something to one of our wives or what. I was just lucky I had people with me to get me home. It was not funny.
I can't think a bartender would do that. Just seems like a bartender honor system to never do that.

Anyway, sorry that happened to you, that's really shitty and violating.

There is talk that he was seen on or near the Benton St. bridge.
I know they reduced the flow from the Res, but I thought the river is pretty low already? Sad to say, but after several days he could have been washed downstream with the heavy rains over the weekend, and be hung up somewhere.
They found a bracelet that belongs to him in that area.

• Sad
Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
I can't think a bartender would do that. Just seems like a bartender honor system to never do that.

Anyway, sorry that happened to you, that's really shitty and violating.
Bartenders aren't exempt from being shitty humans. The bartender was the one that roofied my sister and cousin. His friends would point out who to do it to.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT