Jun 14, 2001
Name: Nate Wieland
High School: Iowa City High
Position: Athlete
Graduation Year: 2017
Height: 6-foot-3
Weight: 190 pounds
Video: Hudl

Q: How was your trip to Iowa for the Minnesota game?

WIELAND: I liked it a lot. I liked their facilities and I loved the crowd. Of all the places I've gone to that was best event and one of the best games I've ever seen. I love watching Iowa. That is my favorite school right now.

Q: What stands out to you about Iowa?

WIELAND: The coaches are really relatable. I love talking with them and being around the guys. I enjoy their attitude towards football.

Q: What did you get a chance to do during the game?

WIELAND: We toured the stadium, the locker room, and the new facilities. We saw the weight room, the player's lounge, the meeting rooms, and the practice field.

Q: What was your favorite part of the trip?

WIELAND: Either the weight room or just being at the game and seeing the atmosphere.

Q: What did the coaches say about you as a recruit?

WIELAND: They want me to play on the defensive side at safety or linebacker depending on how big I get before college. They talked about my injury and said that it won't slow recruiting. It is still the same as it was before.

Q: Do you want to play offense or defense in college?

WIELAND: I like defense a lot. I have not played it all that much in high school but when I've played it I definitely have liked it.

Q: How do you feel overall about Iowa?

WIELAND: I like Iowa a lot. Obviously growing up around here makes it easy to like them a lot.

Q: What other schools are interested?

WIELAND: I visited Minnesota a couple of weeks ago. I'll be going to Northern Illinois and Missouri sometime.

Q: What schools are recruiting you the hardest?

WIELAND: I'd say either Minnesota or Iowa.

Q: What happened when you injured your knee this fall?

WIELAND: It happened in week five when I had nerve damage and sprained my MCL and ACL. The timetable is whenever the nerve wants to recover. There is nothing I can do to speed it up. It is a waiting game.

Q: How does the knee feel now?

WIELAND: It feels good. It is still frustrating because I have to watch instead of play. Rehab is going well and I am definitely getting better.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.