ADVERTISEMENT

2017 Baseball Schedule Out...

Mar 14, 2003
We open with a three game series @ South Florida, then three games vs Morehead State in Alabama, then we go to the DQ Classic in Minnesota and face Hawaii, Oral Roberts, and Minnesota (non-conference). Home opener is vs Northern Illinois on March 7th. Iowa also has four TBA's in Port Charlotte, FL in March.

Iowa also hosts UNLV in a non-conference series and goes to Kansas State.

Other than that, our midweek games are what you'd expect and our conference schedule appears a little bit more easier on paper compared to last year.

I definitely like some of the non-conference opponents in South Florida, UNLV, Hawaii, and Oral Roberts. I remember at one point they were trying to find another team for Morehead State in Alabama.

http://hawkeyesports.com/schedule.aspx?path=baseball

Reactions: Crazy Hawk
Good to see Iowa in the DQ Classic.

Iowa misses Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, and Indiana during B1G play. You're right, seems manageable given the roster's youth.

I assume the DQ Classic will be played in the new Vikings stadium, be interesting to see how that works. Sure looks like a big chunk of the sideline stands must be removable in order to accommodate baseball.

I assume the DQ Classic will be played in the new Vikings stadium, be interesting to see how that works. Sure looks like a big chunk of the sideline stands must be removable in order to accommodate baseball.

It will be similar to the Metrodome. The right field bleachers will retract, allowing for normal playing dimensions.

I know it's a LONG time out, but any idea if Iowa is making a return trip to UNLV in 2018? I like Las Vegas and going out there for 5-6 days with some Iowa Baseball sprinkled in would be awesome.

Reactions: 2bagger22
We open with a three game series @ South Florida, then three games vs Morehead State in Alabama, then we go to the DQ Classic in Minnesota and face Hawaii, Oral Roberts, and Minnesota (non-conference). Home opener is vs Northern Illinois on March 7th. Iowa also has four TBA's in Port Charlotte, FL in March.

Iowa also hosts UNLV in a non-conference series and goes to Kansas State.

Other than that, our midweek games are what you'd expect and our conference schedule appears a little bit more easier on paper compared to last year.

I definitely like some of the non-conference opponents in South Florida, UNLV, Hawaii, and Oral Roberts. I remember at one point they were trying to find another team for Morehead State in Alabama.

http://hawkeyesports.com/schedule.aspx?path=baseball
BAU............:cool:

#ihaventforgotten.................

On a phone...burning leaves drinking a beer...can anyone give me the dates of the DQ classic?

Thank you. I may have to make the trip for the Saturday game.
No problem. It should be fun. I live in MSP, so I'm looking forward to checking out at least a few of the games. Unfortunately, the Big Ten Wrestling Tournament is the same weekend and the finals of that are probably going to be on at the same time as the Iowa-Minnesota game, so that will be a little tricky... Hopefully I can make the the Friday and Saturday games.

I'm curious to see what baseball looks like in US Bank Stadium, too. It's a beautiful stadium.

Reactions: Crazy Hawk
Looks like a few changes...

Iowa will face Alabama State twice in Hoover, AL and Morehead State once instead of three games vs Morehead. Alabama State was pretty solid last year.

Iowa will face Villanova, Bucknell, and Lehigh x2 in the Snowbird Classic. These games were previously TBA.

It should be another good year of Hawkeye baseball. Heller continues to upgrade the staff, roster, and facilities. I can't believe it took us this long to hire him. He has done a fantastic job.

I would like to get up to that new Vikings stadium and watch a game. I can't imagine that roof makes it easy to see a fly ball.

It should be another good year of Hawkeye baseball. Heller continues to upgrade the staff, roster, and facilities. I can't believe it took us this long to hire him. He has done a fantastic job.

I would like to get up to that new Vikings stadium and watch a game. I can't imagine that roof makes it easy to see a fly ball.

Hadn't considered that. It wasn't especially easy to track a fly ball at the Metrodome, either.

Heller is not only a stud...but man is he a perfect fit for Iowa Baseball.

I think I'm going to take some guys up from my team for the game.

Heller has definitely done a heck of a job. He's got things rockin and rollin. I was disappointed to see Lauritson was stolen away by the Indians, but Sean Moore looks to have an impressive resume for a young guy. Heller, Sutherland and Druschel are all great hitting minds as well. Really excited for the future.

Seeing what Heller has done makes me wonder why he was not given a shot earlier. Didn't he apply when Dahm got the job?

I think a lot of it had to do with Dahm's fundraising ability on the heels of Iowa State cutting baseball. Even after leaving Creighton, Dahm's resume had more D1 experience than did Heller's in 2001.

(All speculation on my end.)

True to a point Bagger, but it went beyond just that. I've had the chance to talk to several people involved in the first go around, from search committee members to candidates. The core of the issue was all but one of the finalists made it clear to the committee that significant upgrades were needed (from facilities to travel support to recruiting budget) for them to take the job.

Coach Heller was especially vocal, and that did not sit well with Fred Mims. Chilly would be an understatement when describing the two men's working relationship at the time.

Coach Dahm took a different approach. Telling the administration he thought enough was in place at the time to win enough to qualify for the Big Ten Tournament on a regular basis. He asked for a guarantee that when he did, the athletic department provide several of the upgrades the other candidates were demanding.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT