ADVERTISEMENT

New Story 2017 OL Curtis Blackwell talks Iowa visit

Apr 8, 2003
Class of 2017 offensive lineman Curtis Blackwell had a chance to visit Iowa City for the Hawkeye Tailgater over the summer and returned to campus this weekend for a night game at Kinnick Stadium. We caught up with the 6-foot-5, 300-pound Indiana native to get his thoughts on the trip, what he is hearing from the Iowa coaching staff, and much more.

Q: What all did you get to do on your visit to Iowa yesterday?

BLACKWELL: We got there a couple hours before the game and had a meal. Then, we went inside and toured their new football facility, like we did this past summer, and they told us a lot about what Iowa has to offer. Then, we went over to the stadium and stood on the field before the game and watched the team as they warmed up.

Q: Was that your first game there? What did you take away from it?

BLACKWELL: Yeah, it was my first time there, and it was pretty crazy. They come out to “Back in Black” and last night was their blackout night, so it was pretty awesome. It was a sold out crowd, so I mean you couldn’t ask for a more intense atmosphere to play in as a player.

Q: Which coaches did you get to talk with?

BLACKWELL: I talked to Coach Reid, who is the recruiter for this area. He’s a great guy, so it’s always fun talking to him. Then, I talked to Brian Ferentz, the offensive line coach, a little bit before the game too.

Q: What was their message like to you?

BLACKWELL: Basically, they said they think I’m a really good player and they’re really interested, so they’ll keep in touch this off-season. Also, Coach Reid said he’ll be up to visit my school after Thanksgiving sometime.

Q: Overall, what are your thoughts on Iowa at this point after visiting there again this weekend?

BLACKWELL: I’m definitely really interested in Iowa. I think they have a lot of good things to offer, so I’ll definitely be keeping in contact with them and will be taking a hard look at their school when I’m making my college decision in the next year and a half or so.

Q: Where all have you been for visits this season?

BLACKWELL: I’ve been to Iowa, Northwestern, IU, Toledo, Miami of Ohio, and Michigan. Then I’ll be going to Purdue on Thanksgiving weekend.

Q: You have one offer from Toledo right now, right?

BLACKWELL: Yes, that’s right.

Q: Is everyone else still in evaluation mode right now like Iowa?

BLACKWELL: Yeah, pretty much.

Q: Tell me about your junior year. How did it go for you individually and your team?

BLACKWELL: Well, our team didn’t do too well. We went 1-10. As for myself, I felt like with all of the work I put in during the off-season, I really grew as a player and had a really good season compared to the year before. I think I made a lot of improvements.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2353892/highlights

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.