ADVERTISEMENT

2019 review of this forum

CP84

HR Heisman
Sep 10, 2013
I have to say this forum was really terrible this season considering we just witnessed a 10 win top 15 ranked season. Imagine if we only won 8 or 9 again.

We even came up with a new term for these posters; ledgers.

Many of these ledgers predicted 6 to 7 wins and then threw a fit when Iowa lost close games to Penn State, Wisconsin and Michigan.

The silent majority here enjoyed the ride but there are several here that were perpetually nauseating. Looks like they've crawled into the woodwork again.

What happened to these posters since the Holiday Bowl?
pondscum
bumpstock
Justhawk9

There were so many troll accounts stirring up shit - Go for the Gold - who told the whopper of the decade that he was a contemporary of Roger Staubach at the Naval Academy - etc. Surely these were all the same person. How dumb do you think this guy feels when his sole goal here was to rile people up to demand KF and BF lose their jobs, and we win 10 games and finish in the top 15? That's got to make all the not getting laid that much more depressing.

Still great to be a Hawkeye.

On Iowa, Go Hawks!

Last edited:
I can tolerate the game thread venting.

It's the routine, everyday whining about the program that's tiring.

The game thread douche's were so loud and obnoxious they ruined what used to be an interesting and fun thread.
The everyday whiner's I just feel sorry for how pathetic they are.

Game threads in the Lounge are a lot different than the same thread on the open boards.

Game threads are entertaining as hell. If you can’t appreciate the same people guaranteeing a loss in the first quarter, after Iowa goes three and out or gives up a score, then disappearing when Iowa wins, only to come back and do the same thing the next game, then you need to get a sense of humor.

Expecting a whole lot of in depth analysis when there are 20+ pages in a given game thread is expecting too much. Also, they excellently capture the emotions of a given fan at a given moment in the game. The people who go back and talk shit on game thread posters are the worst

I have never read a game thread. I'm more into watching the game carefully and listening to the commentary (unless it's somebody I can't stand ...Beth).
Besides, I always have at least 8 to 10 people watching with me in the garage.

I would be more inclined to read a game thread when I'm sitting in the stands. So many timeouts and game stoppages, I guess it would be nice to get some feedback on what the posters are seeing on the tube for refs reviewing a play...etc.
But last time I tried in Kinnick it would take damn near the whole timeout for the page to load! Thanks Verizon!

I am fine with the game threads. I think it is fine to vent on specific plays but I do think it's funny when people come out to doom and gloom in the 1st quarter.

I want to add in another thing that I have been beating a dead horse on. Nebraska and Iowa St. threads. They were worse this year than in years prior. We have a lot of people that fling crap that will be the same people to have enormous meltdowns. Then it invites more of the chest pounders (albeit for reasons I don't understand) to come to the board to gloat about who knows what.

Reactions: rchawk
giphy.gif

Report trolls. The mods here are great about letting things fly the mods on the Husker site would ban over, but if someone has only a handful of posts, just recently showed up (cough, @O-townHawkstar), and is posting like a buffoon or just hating on the team (in the same way you feel you’ve read a million times), it’s probably the same troll. Let ‘em have it. Eff ‘em. They’ve clearly got the time to go sign up a new name, but it makes it just a littler harder on them. Takes two seconds.

Reactions: HumbleP1e
I have to say this forum was really terrible this season considering we just witnessed a 10 win top 15 ranked season. Imagine if we only won 8 or 9 again.

We even came up with a new term for these posters; ledgers.

Many of these ledgers predicted 6 to 7 wins and then threw a fit when Iowa lost close games to Penn State, Wisconsin and Michigan.

The silent majority here enjoyed the ride but there are several here that were perpetually nauseating. Looks like they've crawled into the woodwork again.

What happened to these posters since the Holiday Bowl?
pondscum
bumpstock
Justhawk9
80/20 rule could be applied here. 20% make 80% the noise. Although it is probably more like 90/10 here, so maybe not.

my favorites are the ones that complain about the close losses. i'm not always sure if they think we should never lose or if they just prefer losing by 30 instead of 3.

Reactions: TJFant
I am fine with the game threads. I think it is fine to vent on specific plays but I do think it's funny when people come out to doom and gloom in the 1st quarter.

I want to add in another thing that I have been beating a dead horse on. Nebraska and Iowa St. threads. They were worse this year than in years prior. We have a lot of people that fling crap that will be the same people to have enormous meltdowns. Then it invites more of the chest pounders (albeit for reasons I don't understand) to come to the board to gloat about who knows what.
hasn't been a lot of braska stuff on here lately imo.
of course in less than 2 weeks the entire front page might be full......

5 terrible years equates to 25% of Kirk's seasons.

Blast the messenger....
Yep, and for some idiots an 8 win and two 7 win seasons are “terrible”.

Were they great seasons? No. Were fans happy after them? No. But to call them “terrible” years is so childish it really highlights what a pathetic poster you are.

Yep, and for some idiots an 8 win and two 7 win seasons are “terrible”.

Were they great seasons? No. Were fans happy after them? No. But to call them “terrible” years is so childish it really highlights what a pathetic poster you are.
Makes me want to fill up a sock with some bricks and slug them in the face! Losers!!

People have to be allowed to be frustrated after a loss. Its not unhealthy. Especially close losses in games where we certainly had our chances. This pretty much covers our 3 losses to Michigan, Penn State and Wisky.

I for one, was certainly disappointed and frustrated after all of our losses. Nothing wrong with that.... Now I would agree that some folks took things too negative or extreme. Or they let it carry over too much to future games. This is a problem.

But I also dont agree with folks that constantly try and rationalize our program to be an "Aw Shucks We are Iowa, so 8-4 is fine."

There is nothing wrong with people wanting us to be uber successful.. Win every game? Not likely, but damn, it was not that far fetched this year. Just think if we had even won ONE of the THREE vs. MI/PSU/WI. We would have been sniffing the fringes of the playoff discussion. I for one would have preferred either PSU or WI as both programs have certainly had our number as of late.

The thing that made me frustrated was 1. We had arguabley our best stable of skill players ever and 2. We did tend to play extra cautious against Michigan and Penn State but will also admit... 3. There is no denying that our O Line was not dominant in our losses.

I really feel like the Iowa program has evolved and is slowly reinventing itself. To summarize 2019:

• BF did an excellent job overall of play calling. I believe it improves our ability to land more high caliber skill guys.
  • Our WR's had an amazing year. Wow.
  • Our defense was rock solid, even with loads of injuries. You have to give credit to our recruiting and development given how deep we had to go at DB and LB.
  • Our special teams were outstanding. Duncan, what else can you say. Sleep Dalton, very strong. KOR's were huge. And coverage was very good, thank you Devonte.
  • Think of how many freshman and sophomores made big impacts. This bodes very well for our future.
  • Our recruiting really seems to be on point. The early signing period. The coaching staff. The slightly new offense. Feel some momentum.
  • We will once again have multiple first round NFL draft picks (If they both declare early of course).
  • 10-3 is a big accomplishment and we certainly had a tough schedule. Big wins over Minny, USC and ISU.

Last edited:
People have to be allowed to be frustrated after a loss. Its not unhealthy. Especially close losses in games where we certainly had our chances. This pretty much covers our 3 losses to Michigan, Penn State and Wisky.

I for one, was certainly disappointed and frustrated after all of our losses. Nothing wrong with that.... Now I would agree that some folks took things too negative or extreme. Or they let it carry over too much to future games. This is a problem.

But I also dont agree with folks that constantly try and rationalize our program to be an "Aw Shucks We are Iowa, so 8-4 is fine."

There is nothing wrong with people wanting us to be uber successful.. Win every game? Not likely, but damn, it was not that far fetched this year. Just think if we had even won ONE of the THREE vs. MI/PSU/WI. We would have been sniffing the fringes of the playoff discussion. I for one would have preferred either PSU or WI as both programs have certainly had our number as of late.

The thing that made me frustrated was 1. We had arguabley our best stable of skill players ever and 2. We did tend to play extra cautious against Michigan and Penn State but will also admit... 3. There is no denying that our O Line was not dominant in our losses.

I felt like we dominated the Nebraska game but did not put them away. Give them credit, they hung around, they made a few plays and voila, we were fortunate to escape with a win.

I really feel like the Iowa program has evolved and is slowly reinventing itself. To summarize 2019:

• BF did an excellent job overall of play calling. I believe it improves our ability to land more high caliber skill guys.
  • Our defense was rock solid, even with loads of injuries. You have to give credit to our recruiting and development given how deep we had to go at DB and LB.
  • Our special teams were outstanding. Duncan, what else can you say. Sleep Dalton, very strong. KOR's were huge. And coverage was very good, thank you Devonte.
  • Think of how many freshman and sophomores made big impacts. This bodes very well for our future.
  • Our recruiting really seems to be on point. The early signing period. The coaching staff. The slightly new offense. Feel some momentum.
  • We will once again have multiple first round NFL draft picks (If they both declare early of course).

Applause! Great post.

Iowa should win most of the time and be 8-4 to 10-2 most years with KF at the helm, improved staff, and better recruiting results as well. We could see a 7-5 type season occasionally but I’m happy with a winning record due to it being so difficult to win in the B1G. That’s something the idiots to the west don’t account for and expect undefeated seasons on an annual basis or else the season is a total failure.

It was terrible for many other reasons too. Including lack of action from the mods. Who deleted my below thread:

“I don’t think I’m alone as an Iowan and Hawkeye and alumnus to ask everyone to remember that this is a public forum, read by mothers, teenage recruits, kids, etc, and it’s no longer acceptable in this day and age to tolerate language like “pussy” or “vag” or say “get your panties in a bunch” or “butthurt” or anything else that demeans members of the Hawkeye family or our families. Girls. Women. Gay. Lesbian. Trans. Anyone. Everyone.

I’m a father of two boys, both of whom spent some time studying at the UI, and my wife works at the UIHC, and we are part of the Hawkeye family too. What hurts anyone in that family does hurt us too. Isn’t that what family means?

I’m asking everyone here to remember that your words and actions have consequences. They do hurt. Hatred goes around and comes around. On the other side, it’s possible to discuss without insult, picking apart words without attacking people personally.

It’s just friggin football after all. Or basketball. Etc.
So why get ugly about it? It’s about having fun. A random group of people talking it up at a local bar, people of all backgrounds, one common interest.

Does it really make you feel better to bash Brock Purdy or Iowa State? Is big brother a man in any way by bashing “little brother”, or is he just being an A$$ and a bully and too often, a bigot?

Grow up finally. Find ways to make the world a better place. Even here on these forums.

Your insults, your denigration of women, your intolerance, your unwillingness to admit how pathetic it is to bash football players and teams and all women and all gay people and others with your language, like we see from the White House, are unbefitting of respectability in any sense of the term.

And unmanly. And un-Iowan. And un-Iowa Hawkeyes.

We are better than this. Like The Wave. Like Megan Gustafson.

Some of the kids and parents we Wave to are gay. Some of them are girls and women.

They are part of our family too.

We are Iowans. We are Hawkeyes.

When anyone here who thinks it’s a ok to call someone a pussy on a public forum connected to a great university and athletic program, or vote for someone who brags about grabbing women by the pussies - and does - among thousands of other God awful lies and hateful and ugly and violent words by any and every measure, especially measures from those who call themselves religious or even Christians, and finally looks in the mirror and thinks about the truth and the consequences, and The Truth, he will have grown up into a respectable man.

We must be better. The mods and owners must help us be better too, and shouldn’t tolerate the level of bigotry and bullying on this site, especially since they’re profiting from it. They will find that more people will join the community if it’s more mature, welcoming, and representative of the true Iowan and Hawkeye family, which is a very big family in a very big and diverse set of communities.

We all share the responsibility, but those who have the power to be more responsible must step up, own it, and change. You can’t have it both ways.

Peace and Happy New Year!”

There you go again.

It was terrible for many other reasons too. Including lack of action from the mods. Who deleted my below thread:

“I don’t think I’m alone as an Iowan and Hawkeye and alumnus to ask everyone to remember that this is a public forum, read by mothers, teenage recruits, kids, etc, and it’s no longer acceptable in this day and age to tolerate language like “pussy” or “vag” or say “get your panties in a bunch” or “butthurt” or anything else that demeans members of the Hawkeye family or our families. Girls. Women. Gay. Lesbian. Trans. Anyone. Everyone.

I’m a father of two boys, both of whom spent some time studying at the UI, and my wife works at the UIHC, and we are part of the Hawkeye family too. What hurts anyone in that family does hurt us too. Isn’t that what family means?

I’m asking everyone here to remember that your words and actions have consequences. They do hurt. Hatred goes around and comes around. On the other side, it’s possible to discuss without insult, picking apart words without attacking people personally.

It’s just friggin football after all. Or basketball. Etc.
So why get ugly about it? It’s about having fun. A random group of people talking it up at a local bar, people of all backgrounds, one common interest.

Does it really make you feel better to bash Brock Purdy or Iowa State? Is big brother a man in any way by bashing “little brother”, or is he just being an A$$ and a bully and too often, a bigot?

Grow up finally. Find ways to make the world a better place. Even here on these forums.

Your insults, your denigration of women, your intolerance, your unwillingness to admit how pathetic it is to bash football players and teams and all women and all gay people and others with your language, like we see from the White House, are unbefitting of respectability in any sense of the term.

And unmanly. And un-Iowan. And un-Iowa Hawkeyes.

We are better than this. Like The Wave. Like Megan Gustafson.

Some of the kids and parents we Wave to are gay. Some of them are girls and women.

They are part of our family too.

We are Iowans. We are Hawkeyes.

When anyone here who thinks it’s a ok to call someone a pussy on a public forum connected to a great university and athletic program, or vote for someone who brags about grabbing women by the pussies - and does - among thousands of other God awful lies and hateful and ugly and violent words by any and every measure, especially measures from those who call themselves religious or even Christians, and finally looks in the mirror and thinks about the truth and the consequences, and The Truth, he will have grown up into a respectable man.

We must be better. The mods and owners must help us be better too, and shouldn’t tolerate the level of bigotry and bullying on this site, especially since they’re profiting from it. They will find that more people will join the community if it’s more mature, welcoming, and representative of the true Iowan and Hawkeye family, which is a very big family in a very big and diverse set of communities.

We all share the responsibility, but those who have the power to be more responsible must step up, own it, and change. You can’t have it both ways.

Peace and Happy New Year!”

JFC. Nut up, pussy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT