ADVERTISEMENT

2021 Softball

Above is the link from the DePaul website. Sarah has two years of eligibility remaining. She entered the portal in Mid April.

Shaw entered the portal on May 14. Milkowski on May 13. I'm not sure if Lauren will have one or two years left as she gets the COVID year back plus early in her career she had a lot of injuries and it's possible she got a redshirt from one of those years. Lauren graduated so she may just want a change of pace, possibly there isn't enough scholarship money and she could get more elsewhere (softball gets just under 13 scholarships which gets split),. I've checked the transfer portal but no updates (but they haven't updated Sarah's new school either).

Some other random tidbits....Cam Cecil's LB State team made the NCAA tournament. She was the starting SS. They lost to UCLA and Minnesota. Abby Lien's Augustana is the number 1 seed in the Division II softball tournament this weekend. Nice to see both have good seasons and find homes.

I'm hoping Shaw returns! Milkowski, too!

Go Hawks!

#2 Muscatine beat #1 Fort Dodge this weekend in a battle of the top 5A schools. The article is above. Rylie Moss hit the winning RBI off Jalen Adams. Moss (2021) and Adams (2022) are both Iowa recruits. Fort Dodge also features Tristan Doster a future Hawk (2021).

Adams is second in the state with a .62 ERA. The ERA leader is a freshman from CMB whose older sister is a pitcher at University of Virginia. Hopefully she is on the staff's radar as she currently has a .27 ERA.

Moss is hitting .532, Doster .462 and Adams .441. All having good seasons at the plate and Hailey Downe from Norwalk (2021 pitcher) has a 1.11 ERA. Looks like some good future Hawks.

Anyone know if the schedule for next season will be "normal" again and where we may be playing in spring tournaments?

I haven't seen where the four girls in the transfer portal have transferred to, but I'd think we'd hear soon.

Go Hawks!

Reactions: MossHawk6
Starting a new thread for the 21 softball season now that it has finally been released.

The schedule and Graham Hayes' Big Ten predictions are in the articles below.

[QUOTE="UptownHawk, post: 8639328,...NQUHtUWnEWPsrhc3lfzHHizQupKnFNr4eVJbM[/QUOTE]

Projected standings
1. Minnesota
2. Northwestern
3. Michigan
4. Indiana
5. Iowa
6. Wisconsin
7. Nebraska
8. Ohio State
9. Illinois
10. Purdue
11. Penn State
12. Maryland
13. Rutgers
14. Michigan State

Lauren Shaw is transferring to UCLA for her last year of eligibility. Looks like Iowa will lean on a very young pitching staff next year.

• Wow
Reactions: LinusPF

Hawks add a transfer pitcher from UCF. I assume this means she was originally recruited by Coach G. Impressive numbers her freshman season, but threw limited innings this year. I wonder if it was due to injury or other reasons. Welcome, Breanna.

Jalen Adams ERA is down to .52 (second best in Iowa) and Haley Downe appears to be throwing well and her ERA is now .71 (6th best in Iowa)

Go Hawks

Reactions: beahawk
Anyone know where the B1G Tournament is next year? Was Indiana last. Thinking it may be our turn. Any news about the rest of the Spring schedule/tournaments?

Lindy Milkowski is transferring to Eastern Illinois. Wish her the best of luck. I enjoyed her game; seemed like good things happened when she was in the lineup.

#2 Muscatine beat #1 Fort Dodge this weekend in a battle of the top 5A schools. The article is above. Rylie Moss hit the winning RBI off Jalen Adams. Moss (2021) and Adams (2022) are both Iowa recruits. Fort Dodge also features Tristan Doster a future Hawk (2021).

Adams is second in the state with a .62 ERA. The ERA leader is a freshman from CMB whose older sister is a pitcher at University of Virginia. Hopefully she is on the staff's radar as she currently has a .27 ERA.

Moss is hitting .532, Doster .462 and Adams .441. All having good seasons at the plate and Hailey Downe from Norwalk (2021 pitcher) has a 1.11 ERA. Looks like some good future Hawks.

Anyone know if the schedule for next season will be "normal" again and where we may be playing in spring tournaments?

I haven't seen where the four girls in the transfer portal have transferred to, but I'd think we'd hear soon.

Go Hawks!
Moss, Adams, and Doster are all good friends and played together this Fall season. They are looking forward to being teammates again soon. Hopefully that chemistry carries over to the Hawks!

Xophia Venegas has transferred to New Mexico State. The only other player in the portal is Emma O. Anyone know where she is going to transfer to?

Fort Dodge plays their first round of state today. Doster and Adams are both playing well. Hopefully they can win the championship.

Go Hawks

Xophia Venegas has transferred to New Mexico State. The only other player in the portal is Emma O. Anyone know where she is going to transfer to?

Fort Dodge plays their first round of state today. Doster and Adams are both playing well. Hopefully they can win the championship.

Go Hawks
I believe Emma O. Is headed to Murray State.

Reactions: UptownHawk
Thank you, Hillcrest.

Sorry to see the five of them transfer, but wish them all the best.

Go Hawks

Ft. Dodge advances to the semi finals with a 7-0 win over Bettendorf. Adams threw a no-hitter. I believe the only base runner was off a fielding error. Adams 2-2 and Doster 3-4 at the plate. They play Waukee today. The game is streamed which is nice for us out of state.

Go Hawks.

Reactions: HillcrestHawk
Fort Dodge takes the 5A title 2-0 over Ankeny Centennial. Adams took a no hitter into the 7th before giving up a two hits but worked out of the jam. Ft Dodge is coached by Andi Adams, Jalen’s mom. Sweet moment for them after the game.
Doster and Adams both with multiple hits. Doster hits the ball hard. I could see her contributing next season.
Go Hawks

Fort Dodge takes the 5A title 2-0 over Ankeny Centennial. Adams took a no hitter into the 7th before giving up a two hits but worked out of the jam. Ft Dodge is coached by Andi Adams, Jalen’s mom. Sweet moment for them after the game.
Doster and Adams both with multiple hits. Doster hits the ball hard. I could see her contributing next season.
Go Hawks
Talked to TK, Jay, and Andi in Waukee at the IGHSA All Star game. They were on cloud nine to say the least.

TK (Doster) will have opportunities at catcher and 3rd.

You can tell Coach Adams is a good coach. They played small ball efficiently and were aggressive on the base paths. Their first baseman is an 8th grader and one to keep an eye on.

We're hoping to make it back to Iowa for a football game this fall and are hoping we can arrange it for a weekend when the softball team is playing a fall ball game. Anyone know when the fall schedule is to be out?

Nebraska's schedule is posted on their website (not individual games, but the tournaments they are playing in). They don't have any ACC/Big 10 Challenge games so possibly that is ending or maybe they are not involved this year. I would be happy to see that end. I don't think the Big 10 gets anything from it. Otherwise their schedule looks "normal".

Go Hawks.

You can tell Coach Adams is a good coach. They played small ball efficiently and were aggressive on the base paths. Their first baseman is an 8th grader and one to keep an eye on.

We're hoping to make it back to Iowa for a football game this fall and are hoping we can arrange it for a weekend when the softball team is playing a fall ball game. Anyone know when the fall schedule is to be out?

Nebraska's schedule is posted on their website (not individual games, but the tournaments they are playing in). They don't have any ACC/Big 10 Challenge games so possibly that is ending or maybe they are not involved this year. I would be happy to see that end. I don't think the Big 10 gets anything from it. Otherwise their schedule looks "normal".

Go Hawks.
I will post once I get the official schedule. Only one I know for sure is Oct 22nd vs DMACC. Coach said 6-8 JuCo "games" and then @UNI with ISU, Drake, Iowa, & UNI, later in the Fall.

I think the FD 8th grader will be moving to catcher now that TK is gone. Pretty good hitter!

Thanks for heads up on Nebraska schedule. I will have to take a look. I was hoping that it would be back to a "normal" schedule in the Spring. Didn't know if the there might be less travel to save on the budget? Hopefully not!

This was sent to me. Not sure how accurate.

9/24 5:00 St. Thomas
9/26 12:00 Indian Hills
10/1 6:00 UNI at UNI
10/2 2:00 Drake at UNI
10/3 11am ISU at UNI
10/15 4:00 Iowa Wesleyan
10/22 4:00 DMACC Home
10/28 5:00 Kirkwood

Reactions: UptownHawk
Hillcrest!! Thank you, you're the best.

I thought the Big Ten may play more games in Leesburg this spring but based on Nebraska's schedule it does not appear to be.

I’ve heard they may head to new places. Back to California possibly. Which is the right thing to do for those girls currently on the team, and those being recruited.

I’ve heard they may head to new places. Back to California possibly. Which is the right thing to do for those girls currently on the team, and those being recruited.
We listened to a podcast with Coach G in 2019 (before Covid) where she said the 2020 schedule was supposed to include San Diego and trip through Texas so we felt she may have intended to mix it up a little bit. A trip through Texas would be great for us. Florida is fine, but I am hoping she mixes in other locations.

Softball article from the Daily Iowan if anyone is interested.

The softball roster has been updated on the website. 26 players next season. Looks like Erin Carter is no longer with the team.

Go Hawks!

The softball roster has been updated on the website. 26 players next season. Looks like Erin Carter is no longer with the team.

Go Hawks!
Sorry to hear that. Erin is a great kid.

With the portal, new rules etc roster turnover is going to be more prevalent. Is Iowa having more than most or is this a typical amount?

There is a link to the transfer portal on Justin's World of Softball. I'm not sure if this is the official portal or one he has created mimicking the actual portal. Bet here are the Big Ten teams with number of transfers.

Iowa 5
Purdue, Maryland, 4
Illinois, Michigan, MN, Penn St 3
OSU MSU, 2
Wisc NW 1

There is a link to the transfer portal on Justin's World of Softball. I'm not sure if this is the official portal or one he has created mimicking the actual portal. Bet here are the Big Ten teams with number of transfers.

Iowa 5
Purdue, Maryland, 4
Illinois, Michigan, MN, Penn St 3
OSU MSU, 2
Wisc NW 1
Has Iowa led the past couple of years?

As Coach Gillespie gets her own recruits, it makes sense that there would be transfers. I don’t follow closely so not sure who recruited players who are in portal or transferred.

The website has the 2020 portal. Seven teams, including Iowa, has two transfers and four schools had 1. More transfers

2020 had 630 entries into the portal
2021 had 991 entries

Overall more activity this year.

ADVERTISEMENT