ADVERTISEMENT

****2023 Fishing Pics****

DooBi

HB Legend
Sep 18, 2006
Thought I started this thread already but I can't find it. I've had some good luck early this year. Caught a tank last night. Just under 13lbs

20230419-211328.jpg

Do you keep most everything you catch?
Not catfish unless they are small. Otherwise yeah, I eat a lot of fish.

I laugh because my late brother would have been pissed that I kept those bass but I'll be damned if they weren't the best fish I've ever had. I'm getting really good at seasoning my meats and they were just absolutely delicious. I even got my no pic to eat some and she doesn't like fish at all usually.

Not catfish unless they are small. Otherwise yeah, I eat a lot of fish.

I laugh because my late brother would have been pissed that I kept those bass but I'll be damned if they weren't the best fish I've ever had. I'm getting really good at seasoning my meats and they were just absolutely delicious. I even got my no pic to eat some and she doesn't like fish at all usually.
How do you prepare the bass? Why would’ve your brother have been upset?

How do you prepare the bass? Why would’ve your brother have been upset?
Some people get mad because they think it is just a sport fish and not meant to eat.

Soak it in saltwater in the fridge over night. Then rinse and lay out on a towel. Salt, pepper, paprika and onion powder. Roll in shorelunch breading and deep fry.

Typically walleye, crappie, perch and more are usually a better fish flesh but damn. For some reason they turned out white, flaky and delicious.

You always a channel guy or do you go after flats and blues doobs?
Not much for blues around here. I've been trying to target some flathead but I've not met much luck so far. I plan on getting it figured out this year. So far my biggest flathead was 8 lbs and that was probably 15 years ago.

I've grown up a lake fisherman. I've been fishing the river a lot more the last 2 years.

Not much for blues around here. I've been trying to target some flathead but I've not met much luck so far. I plan on getting it figured out this year. So far my biggest flathead was 8 lbs and that was probably 15 years ago.

I've grown up a lake fisherman. I've been fishing the river a lot more the last 2 years.
During my time in Nebraska I created a group called the Catfish Uniting Nebraskan's Tournament Season. We were all mid/late 20s then and would do weekend tournaments at different lakes. Bluestem, branched oak, wagon train ect. You had to be with another C.u.n.t.s member and you had to have a photo of the fish and scale in one shot. Total weight, run what you brung. We had a blast with it. I bought a boat, my buddy bought a boat, mine was called "the weijin" because they called me the "iowaijin". 16 foot bass boat I tore the console out of and put about 3k in lighting and shit on it all ran through an 8 switch panel. Painted it midnight black (school bus bumper paint) with a silver hockey stick in a buddies auto shop. Ran the league for 5 or so years. At the end we started to do a little on the Missouri River but it was a haul and isn't just river fishing it's giant river fishing. Personal best: 16 pound channel 28 pound flat never caught a blue.

All catch and release. I'll eat crappie and walleye though.

New boat "the flying weijin" because it flew off the God damn trailer on on the interstate on the way home (Ryder corner) and now has a giant scuff where it rammed into the median.

• Haha
Reactions: torbee and DooBi
Nice ‘bow. Where do you catch these in your neck of the woods?
At a pond that was stocked for Sportsmens Retreat or "Bible shoot em up camp" to some on here. I won 2nd place for that fish. Funny thing is I caught another one the next day the exact same size. If the prizes went to 3rd place I would have won that too. Lol

Reactions: Obviously Oblivious
Haven’t been able to get out much, but did get a handful of brownies a couple weekends ago — then fell face-first into the creek after stumbling on an embankment and had to drive home in my underpants 😂

IMG-1518.png

IMG-1515.jpg
Where is this at?

That's a nice stocker rainbow. I took the afternoon off last fall when the IDNR stocked the couple ponds around DSM for bows, shoulder to shoulder and about the worst fishing experience of my life. This looks more fun as far as catching pond stockers.

Haven't been out much this spring so far. Our second son was born a month ago and really blue balling my fishing time. When I do go out I stick to the small ponds close to me in Ankeny, pulling out dink bass and medium sized blue gills. Hopefully get up to the Driftless in the next few weeks.

Did have a fun time taking one of the fly rods out during the last good snowstorm.

iIXjPM2.jpg

1w3ErDr.jpg

Reactions: DooBi
Where is this at?
Big Mill Creek area near Bellevue. It's the closest pretty good trout fishing near the Quads.

I had freezing water and caked on mud from my hat to my boots, lol.

Pissed me off too as the fish were super active and I fell in after 3 in the bag and only about 30 minutes :mad:

Here is a map showing where Big Mill is. If you are approaching via US 61, you turn and head east toward the river on Bellevue Road between Dubuque and Maquoketa.

Big-Mill-WMA.jpg

Reactions: Moral
That's a nice stocker rainbow. I took the afternoon off last fall when the IDNR stocked the couple ponds around DSM for bows, shoulder to shoulder and about the worst fishing experience of my life. This looks more fun as far as catching pond stockers.

Haven't been out much this spring so far. Our second son was born a month ago and really blue balling my fishing time. When I do go out I stick to the small ponds close to me in Ankeny, pulling out dink bass and medium sized blue gills. Hopefully get up to the Driftless in the next few weeks.

Did have a fun time taking one of the fly rods out during the last good snowstorm.

iIXjPM2.jpg

1w3ErDr.jpg
Those pictures are gorgeous

Reactions: NorthDSMHawk
Haven’t been able to get out much, but did get a handful of brownies a couple weekends ago — then fell face-first into the creek after stumbling on an embankment and had to drive home in my underpants 😂

IMG-1518.png

IMG-1515.jpg
Been there, done that. I nearly broke my neck years ago going down the side of the Devil’s Backbone with all of my gear to access the stream where few people will dare to go. Totally worth it though.

Reactions: torbee
Big Mill Creek area near Bellevue. It's the closest pretty good trout fishing near the Quads.

I had freezing water and caked on mud from my hat to my boots, lol.

Pissed me off too as the fish were super active and I fell in after 3 in the bag and only about 30 minutes :mad:

Here is a map showing where Big Mill is. If you are approaching via US 61, you turn and head east toward the river on Bellevue Road between Dubuque and Maquoketa.

Big-Mill-WMA.jpg
Nice, I’ve never fished there. Usually fish north of CR.

Been there, done that. I nearly broke my neck years ago going down the side of the Devil’s Backbone with all of my gear to access the stream where few people will dare to go. Totally worth it though.
I’ve never been on that part of the stream.

Any good public fishing lakes within 45 min of Des Moines? I have a deck boat and want to take the kids out fishing and tubing but the fishing seems to suck around here.

IMG-1518.png

IMG-1515.jpg
Is that a skirt in the bottom pic? NTTAWWT

Nice, I’ve never fished there. Usually fish north of CR.
Here is another place I like to go that might be a bit closer to you (it is quite a bit further west than Big Mill):

Ram Hollow WMA
Ram-Hollow-WMA.jpg

I like it because it gets VERY little pressure (I'm almost always the only one fishing there) and it's amazingly scenic for Iowa (there is even a hidden box canyon there).

eyJidWNrZXQiOiJhc3NldHMuYWxsdHJhaWxzLmNvbSIsImtleSI6InVwbG9hZHMvcGhvdG8vaW1hZ2UvMjU4NDgzNTMvOWVkYTE1MTFjM2ZjMTdiNmQxNWY2MjFkYzg2YWNmMzEuanBnIiwiZWRpdHMiOnsidG9Gb3JtYXQiOiJqcGVnIiwicmVzaXplIjp7IndpZHRoIjo1MDAsImhlaWdodCI6NTAwLCJmaXQiOiJpbnNpZGUifSwicm90YXRlIjpudWxsLCJqcGVnIjp7InRyZWxsaXNRdWFudGlzYXRpb24iOnRydWUsIm92ZXJzaG9vdERlcmluZ2luZyI6dHJ1ZSwib3B0aW1pc2VTY2FucyI6dHJ1ZSwicXVhbnRpc2F0aW9uVGFibGUiOjN9fX0=

Reactions: ping72 and Moral
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT