ADVERTISEMENT

****2023 Fishing Pics****

I’ve never been on that part of the stream.
I probably wouldn’t try it now but I’m 60 presently and when I did that several times I was in my 30s. Fearless and likely stupid but I managed to not hurt myself.

That part of the stream changes a lot depending on the flow but I could always find some deeper holes with trout stacked on top of one another. There were times I would limit out in under 10 minutes with less than 10 total casts. Most of my time spent rigging and baiting or changing spinners.

It was usually my last stop if I was having a not so good day on more accessible waters. I love the solitude of fishing like that as well.

I probably wouldn’t try it now but I’m 60 presently and when I did that several times I was in my 30s. Fearless and likely stupid but I managed to not hurt myself.

That part of the stream changes a lot depending on the flow but I could always find some deeper holes with trout stacked on top of one another. There were times I would limit out in under 10 minutes with less than 10 total casts. Most of my time spent rigging and baiting or changing spinners.

It was usually my last stop if I was having a not so good day on more accessible waters. I love the solitude of fishing like that as well.
I do as well but Backbone is usually pretty packed. What is your favorite stream to fish?

Reactions: GOHOX69
Actually hit the coho run on Lake Michigan hard this year from shore. Ended up catching about 12 total which are my first ones ever from shore. Took a bit to get the hang of it but it was a blast learning the new way

Reactions: torbee
Seeing this thread got me all excited.

I hope to be able to fish a lot more this year.

It’s about time I buy myself a boat.

Seeing this thread got me all excited.

I hope to be able to fish a lot more this year.

It’s about time I buy myself a boat.
Toona Schoona going in this weekend! (brrrrr)

She has a new bimini top and in July is finally getting new upholstery.

And just for you, @Moral, here is a pic of my fishing partner with an elusive 'gill he caught on a Rapala while trolling for walleye:

Gill.jpg

Pissed me off too as the fish were super active and I fell in after 3 in the bag and only about 30 minutes :mad:

Big-Mill-WMA.jpg
Could be worse. Csb alert: I met a guy about 25 years ago. He and his buddy were cleaning bullhead and catfish that they had caught at lake Panorama. They said they were going back the next night for more.

I found out a couple days later that the buddy ended up not going and the guy went by himself. They found his body floating by shore with a pole under him. They think he was reaching down for a fish and slipped and hit his head and drowned. At least all you got was wet and muddy.

Could be worse. Csb alert: I met a guy about 25 years ago. He and his buddy were cleaning bullhead and catfish that they had caught at lake Panorama. They said they were going back the next night for more.

I found out a couple days later that the buddy ended up not going and the guy went by himself. They found his body floating by shore with a pole under him. They think he was reaching down for a fish and slipped and hit his head and drowned. At least all you got was wet and muddy.
I do worry about crap like that when fishing alone.

I have this sneaking suspension that my last words are going to be:

"Seriously, THIS is how I'm going to bite it?"

Big Mill Creek area near Bellevue. It's the closest pretty good trout fishing near the Quads.

I had freezing water and caked on mud from my hat to my boots, lol.

Pissed me off too as the fish were super active and I fell in after 3 in the bag and only about 30 minutes :mad:

Here is a map showing where Big Mill is. If you are approaching via US 61, you turn and head east toward the river on Bellevue Road between Dubuque and Maquoketa.

Big-Mill-WMA.jpg

I hate that so much of Brush went to private property.

I do as well but Backbone is usually pretty packed. What is your favorite stream to fish?
I don’t venture too far north very often but I’ve always enjoyed Bloody Run and floating down the Upper Iowa (bonus smallmouth fishing) and Yellow River watershed, hard to pick a favorite from those three I just can’t get to them often enough. No solitude expected at most of those either unless you’re willing to bushwhack a bit.

Agree that Backbone main park is a zoo, especially on weekends. I always try to go fishing on a weekday when the weather is poor to lessen the chance of crowded streams.

Reactions: GOHOX69 and Moral
I don’t venture too far north very often but I’ve always enjoyed Bloody Run and floating down the Upper Iowa (bonus smallmouth fishing) and Yellow River watershed, hard to pick a favorite from those three I just can’t get to them often enough. No solitude expected at most of those either unless you’re willing to bushwhack a bit.

Agree that Backbone main park is a zoo, especially on weekends. I always try to go fishing on a weekday when the weather is poor to lessen the chance of crowded streams.
Bloody Run is good. Never had any luck at Yellow River. My absolute favorite is North Bear.

Congrats to all the fishing folks. In the 80's, PBS had a show called Angling Iowa. Besides me, did any of you old asses watch it? It was a great show but the host died, unexpectedly, on a massive heart attack. His name was Rick Geisler. Keep up the good work!

Here is another place I like to go that might be a bit closer to you (it is quite a bit further west than Big Mill):

Ram Hollow WMA
Ram-Hollow-WMA.jpg

I like it because it gets VERY little pressure (I'm almost always the only one fishing there) and it's amazingly scenic for Iowa (there is even a hidden box canyon there).

eyJidWNrZXQiOiJhc3NldHMuYWxsdHJhaWxzLmNvbSIsImtleSI6InVwbG9hZHMvcGhvdG8vaW1hZ2UvMjU4NDgzNTMvOWVkYTE1MTFjM2ZjMTdiNmQxNWY2MjFkYzg2YWNmMzEuanBnIiwiZWRpdHMiOnsidG9Gb3JtYXQiOiJqcGVnIiwicmVzaXplIjp7IndpZHRoIjo1MDAsImhlaWdodCI6NTAwLCJmaXQiOiJpbnNpZGUifSwicm90YXRlIjpudWxsLCJqcGVnIjp7InRyZWxsaXNRdWFudGlzYXRpb24iOnRydWUsIm92ZXJzaG9vdERlcmluZ2luZyI6dHJ1ZSwib3B0aW1pc2VTY2FucyI6dHJ1ZSwicXVhbnRpc2F0aW9uVGFibGUiOjN9fX0=
Mrs Knives and I caught our limit at Ram Hollow today….👍

• Love
It was a seven species day at Spoon Lake Sunday!

Caught (and released to fight another day):

* Walleye
* Crappie
* Striped Bass
* Largemouth Bass
* Smallmouth Bass
* Bluegill
* Channel Catfish

IMG-9510.jpg

IMG-2032.jpg

IMG-2027.jpg

IMG-2010.jpg

IMG-2040.jpg

IMG-2024.jpg
Do you take a picture of every single fish you catch? No judge.

No, I like to catalog decent ones and as we get different species. I do all catch and release so pics are how I document. We probably caught 20 total yesterday over about 5 hours.
Fun times. Looked like a great day.

Try Bailey's Ford in Manchester or Spring Branch, which is artifical lure only and has size limit.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT