ADVERTISEMENT

***2023 Gold Cup Thread***

Menace Sockeyes

HB Legend
Sep 2, 2010
Eff it. I’m starting one for all games. Guadeloupe just carved up Canada for an excellent opening goal on FS1 now :oops::

Canada comes back, only to drop the 3 points in stoppage time!

Guatemala vs Cuba in the last opening round game on now…

GOAL! Ferreira on fire right now.

BTW, Canada in danger of not making it out of the group stage after drawing Guadeloupe and Guatemala. Guadeloupe are for real again. Two goal of the tournament candidates yesterday:

Cowell is the answer if our best athletes played soccer. He is a little raw skill wise but his athleticism is incredible
I agree. I’m curious if the technique will develop enough in the next few years for him to take a leap forward because he’s plenty athletic.

Cowell is the answer if our best athletes played soccer. He is a little raw skill wise but his athleticism is incredible

He's a project. Needs to get Europe for training every if he doesn't play a ton. He's young. He's got time.

Also, great goal by Honduras to take the lead. Didn't see this coming.

Qatar still holding on to a 1 goal lead. I don't often cheer for oil tycoons who buy their national team, use slave labor or buy their way into this tournament. But when I do, they are playing Mexico.

• Haha
Reactions: Dorrman and SI_NYC
What in the world. Clear penalty, went to listen to VAR, didn't go. Should have been a pk for Haiti.

Here is what I thought would have happened BEFORE the tournament for the record.

Group A
1. US
2. Jamaica

Group B
1. Mexico
2. Haiti

Group C
1. Panama
2. Costa Rica

Group D
1. Canada
2. Guatemala

I don't think I'll get any right other than A.

Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
He's a project. Needs to get Europe for training every if he doesn't play a ton. He's young. He's got time.

Also, great goal by Honduras to take the lead. Didn't see this coming.

Qatar still holding on to a 1 goal lead. I don't often cheer for oil tycoons who buy their national team, use slave labor or buy their way into this tournament. But when I do, they are playing Mexico.
Rooting for a tie. Mexico denied a win when favored, but Qatar bounced for an actual CONCACAF team.
What in the world. Clear penalty, went to listen to VAR, didn't go. Should have been a pk for Haiti.

Here is what I thought would have happened BEFORE the tournament for the record.

Group A
1. US
2. Jamaica

Group B
1. Mexico
2. Haiti

Group C
1. Panama
2. Costa Rica

Group D
1. Canada
2. Guatemala

I don't think I'll get any right other than A.
Same, except I had 1. Except Group D where I had 1. Canada 2. Guadeloupe.

Reactions: Hawkfan_08
Rooting for a tie. Mexico denied a win when favored, but Qatar bounced for an actual CONCACAF team.

If you'd had told me after Nation's League final that Mexico would easily win their group in Gold Cup whilst Canada would need a W in their 3rd game to advance, I'd have said you were nuts.

Admittedly, no idea who from the Nation's League roster for either is in the Gold Cup - Canada is in the place we were 20 years ago where they have a pretty good starting XI, but awfully thin behind that; whilst Mexico has a more thoroughly established pipeline of players, even if that pipeline isn't as robust as usual.

Then again...it's CONCACAF Gold Cup. Quality overall isn't close to CONMEBOL or Europe (obviously), at best on par with Asia or Africa; but it certainly leads to more random results.

The Guadalupe/Guatemala game will be good! Hoping for all draws so Canada could be out.

I didn't see Honduras winning a single game but beating Haiti was a pretty good moment for a team that has fallen on some terrible results. I was still hoping Haiti would have won to knock Qatar out. Literally buying their way into the tournament.

If you'd had told me after Nation's League final that Mexico would easily win their group in Gold Cup whilst Canada would need a W in their 3rd game to advance, I'd have said you were nuts.

Admittedly, no idea who from the Nation's League roster for either is in the Gold Cup - Canada is in the place we were 20 years ago where they have a pretty good starting XI, but awfully thin behind that; whilst Mexico has a more thoroughly established pipeline of players, even if that pipeline isn't as robust as usual.

Then again...it's CONCACAF Gold Cup. Quality overall isn't close to CONMEBOL or Europe (obviously), at best on par with Asia or Africa; but it certainly leads to more random results.

I said this earlier but this is like Canada's A-/B+ team. I think they are trying to develop those players that they need to get depth. They don't have David, Davies or Buchanan. I think the bigger concern is that they struggled against Guadalupe (who isn't terrible but should be beaten by Canada, they are not a FIFA team so we don't see them often) and again struggled against Guatemala who hasn't qualified for the hex in a long time. They do get Cuba who is probably the second worst team here and had 4 players defect to the US after the first game.

I think for Mexico, you have to take the results with a grain of salt. I'm pretty sure this is their A-/B+ team as well. Missing a few top guys for sure. The quality of their wins are not impressive. Honduras has been struggling as already noted. Haiti win was okay at 3-1. Then tonight their recent problem strikes again, no quality in the final 3rd.

Guatemala just tied Guadeloupe in a match with World Cup atmosphere. Canada up 2-0. These results hold, Guadeloupe tops the group on 1 goal difference over Canada.

Guatemala just tied Guadeloupe in a match with World Cup atmosphere. Canada up 2-0. These results hold, Guadeloupe tops the group on 1 goal difference over Canada.
This game is absolutely NUTS! Guadeloupe had a chance to perhaps clinch the group on a late PK and it’s saved, so they may be out and Guatemala topping it over Canada. o_O

@sober_teacher (forgot to reply and couldn't do it on edit)
I think our depth is better than theirs. It is certainly a tough draw but I think Guatemala is playing really well. I'd much rather have had Qatar but we get Mexico vs Costa Rica as well.

@sober_teacher (forgot to reply and couldn't do it on edit)
I think our depth is better than theirs. It is certainly a tough draw but I think Guatemala is playing really well. I'd much rather have had Qatar but we get Mexico vs Costa Rica as well.
Overall I'd agree - I just don't know how to judge the quality of our squad. 2 blowout victories against sub-par competition and 1 okay performance that we were fortunate enough to get a draw out of.

Overall I'd agree - I just don't know how to judge the quality of our squad. 2 blowout victories against sub-par competition and 1 okay performance that we were fortunate enough to get a draw out of.

Oh, I don't either. I just wonder what Canada will really bring without their top players. I'm banking on our B/C team being better than their B+ team. Would be a nice win.

I just heard Greenland is very close to joining CONCACAF, once their national stadium is renovated complete with a wooden dome. They’d be the second smallest nation after St. Kitts & Nevis. I really hope this happens…

images

Costa Rica imo is in full-on rebuilding mode. I believe that was an older squad they took to Qatar and now they have to start that cycle again.

Panama seems like a program on the rise however. Assuming we take care of Canada tomorrow, that won't be an easy game.

100%. Panama scares me more than anyone else in the field right now, including Mexico. I still think they are a bit of fools gold and are so excited about beating an aging Costa Rica searching for answers as you eluded to. Beat Haiti and I can't even remember who that was bad. They lost to Qatar despite dominating them everywhere else but the score. Mexico is not back.

100%. Panama scares me more than anyone else in the field right now, including Mexico. I still think they are a bit of fools gold and are so excited about beating an aging Costa Rica searching for answers as you eluded to. Beat Haiti and I can't even remember who that was bad. They lost to Qatar despite dominating them everywhere else but the score. Mexico is not back.
they mentioned that Mexico rotated a bunch of players cuz they had nothing to play for against Qatar so I'm willing to chalk that up as one of those fluky losses.

Regardless of how Mexico finishes this tournament, I won't believe they're back until we see them at Copa next summer.

PREVIEW: USMNT TAKES ON CANADA IN 2023 CONCACAF GOLD CUP QUARTERFINALS

AFTER SCORING ITS MOST GOALS IN GOLD CUP GROUP STAGE, USA FACES CANADA IN HIGH-STAKES MATCH-UP FOR SECOND TIME THIS SUMMER; KICKOFF FROM TQL STADIUM IN CINCINNATI, OHIO SET FOR 8 P.M. ET (FS1, UNIVISION, TUDN)
JULY 8 2023

CHICAGO (July 8, 2023) – The U.S. Men’s National Team will kick off the knockout stage of the 2023 Concacaf Gold Cup on Sunday, July 9 with a quarterfinal encounter against Canada. After an undefeated run through Group A in which the USA topped the group with its most goals in pool play at the Gold Cup, the U.S. is one of eight teams still standing and aims to win a record-tying eighth confederation championship.
Coverage of USA-Canada from TQL Stadium in Cincinnati, Ohio begins at 7 p.m. ET on FS1 and 7:30 p.m. ET on Univision and TUDN, with kickoff set for 8 p.m. ET. Live Spanish-language audio for the match will be available on Fútbol de Primera radio platforms.
Sunday night marks the USA and Canada’s second knockout match this summer after the USMNT took down the Reds 2-0 to clinch its second-straight Concacaf Nations League title on June 18 in Las Vegas. Canada drew its first two matches before defeating Cuba 4-2 in the group finale to finish second in Group D, setting up its quarterfinal clash against the USA.
Fans will be able to follow the match via Facebook, Twitter @USMNT, Instagram @USMNT and the official U.S. Soccer App.

USMNT – GOLD CUP ROSTER BY POSITION (CLUB/COUNTRY; CAPS/GOALS)

GOALKEEPERS (3): 18-Sean Johnson (Toronto FC/CAN; 13/0), 23-Gaga Slonina (Chelsea/ENG; 1/0), 1-Matt Turner (Arsenal/ENG; 30/0)
DEFENDERS (8): 15-DeJuan Jones (New England Revolution; 4/0), 3-Aaron Long (LAFC; 33/3), 4-Matt Miazga (FC Cincinnati; 26/1), 20-Jalen Neal (LA Galaxy; 5/0), 5-Bryan Reynolds (Roma/ITA; 5/1), 12-Miles Robinson (Atlanta United; 23/3), 21-John Tolkin (New York Red Bulls; 2/0), 2-DeAndre Yedlin (Inter Miami; 80/0)
MIDFIELDERS (6): 6-Gianluca Busio (Venezia/ITA; 11/1), 14-Djordje Mihailovic (AZ Alkmaar/NED; 9/3), 16-Aidan Morris (Columbus Crew; 4/0), 10-Cristian Roldan (Seattle Sounders; 35/0), 8-James Sands (New York City FC; 11/0), 24-Jackson Yueill (San Jose Earthquakes; 16/0)
FORWARDS (6): 11-Cade Cowell (San Jose Earthquakes; 6/1), 9-Jesús Ferreira (FC Dallas; 21/14), 22-Julian Gressel (Vancouver Whitecaps/CAN; 4/0), 13-Jordan Morris (Seattle Sounders; 53/11), 19-Brandon Vazquez (FC Cincinnati; 6/3), 17-Alex Zendejas (Club América/MEX; 6/1)

I'm sort of watching. Cheering hard for Panama. 10 min left and still 0-0. Mexico has 18 shots but Panama has 14. 7 yellow cards. No shocker there.

Not what Fox was expecting tonight

Not sure why. Mexico is not "back" and winning this tournament with a bunch of top teams sitting people and the US sitting almost everyone and their reserves and some reserve reserves didn't say much. Panama does have almost everyone there and have played very well. They are a team on the rise but one I would expect a full US side to beat.

Reactions: sober_teacher
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT