ADVERTISEMENT

2023 Iowa Baseball

With Iowa fairly interested, that means Williams is likely gone barring a very large drop on draft day(s).

Any insight on his own accord or mutually agreed on?
No, but after having a really good fall, he never got a great shot at earning a spot in the lineup during the season. This and with Petersen, Huckstorf and Anthony all returning, there really isn’t any room for him in the outfield.

OK. Can now confirm that Freshman Tulane 1Bman - Brady Marget - has entered the portal.

I know that Coach Sutherland scouted him when he was listed by PG as the best 1B prospect in Wisconsin coming out of high school. He played on the same team as Brady Counsell. Iowa didn't offer him primarily because he would have been blocked by Williams.

I watched a fair amount of Tulane games this year. The kid has a sweet left handed stroke. Plays solid defense as well. He's received positive feedback from independent evaluators regarding his chances to ultimately play at the next level.

I can also confirm that Iowa is "on notice" of Marget entering the portal and will be reaching out to him.

A certain ACC school (don't feel like I can name the specific school) will likely express interest as well. If (and I stress IF) he were to receive offers from both schools, it would be a difficult decision for him.

I think that we can expect that Brady Counsell's name will be in the portal. He is reportedly quite unhappy with what is going on at Minnesota. However, the positional need for what Counsell brings to the table isn't as glaring.

But . . . Marget and Counsell would be very interested in reuniting (assuming Counsell wants to leave Minnesota). They are close friends.

No, but after having a really good fall, he never got a great shot at earning a spot in the lineup during the season. This and with Petersen, Huckstorf and Anthony all returning, there really isn’t any room for him in the outfield.
A strikeout rate of 50% will keep you out of the lineup.

Reactions: whatsup13579er
@whatsup13579er
I don't feel as if I can share much of what I've learned in the last 24 hours other than to identify that (a) the person promoted to HC (at least on an interim basis) is well liked by players; (b) there has been an urgent effort by this person to reach out to players in the portal urging them to return to Tulane; and (c) the efforts to reach out have been largely well-received by those in the portal.

I'd also add that most, if not all, of the Tulane players that entered the portal at the end of the season enjoyed playing for Tulane and Coach Jewett and entered the portal to protect their ability to go to another program if they didn't like the direction taken by Tulane or if Tulane was dragging its feet with respect to getting a new coach in place. Moreover, going from one school to another is - as described to me - a pain in the backside and fraught with all sorts of unknowns.

Last edited:
@whatsup13579er
I don't feel as if I can share much of what I've learned in the last 24 hours other than to identify that (a) the person promoted to HC (at least on an interim basis) is well liked by players; (b) there has been an urgent effort by this person to reach out to players in the portal urging them to return to Tulane; and (c) the efforts to reach out have been largely well-received by those in the portal.

Well . . . Tulane's "pitch" was successful. All but a done deal that Brady Marget will remain with the Green Wave.

The process has been fascinating to "watch and learn" from afar. Although I've read about how scholarship athletes "pain" over what to do when the coach who recruited them and for whom they agreed to "sign" gets either (a) fired or (b) voluntarily leaves, this was my first foray into how it impacts not only the athlete but the parents as well.

I've read some accolades thrown out there by national writers about why promoting in-house was a smart move by Tulane's AD. Be cautious before you drink that Kool-Aid. He likely had no other option after 15 players entered the transfer portal when no replacement was in the fold. Given the new rules, players had to enter the portal by 7/1 to preserve their rights to transfer. It was a "no brainer" for the kids to do so. Tulane's AD had to act quickly - otherwise there would have been a mass exodus. Had he acted before the end of the season and promoted the coach from in-house, very few Tulane players would have entered the portal.

I can also state with confidence that Heller and Sutherland made a great pitch and spared no effort. Iowa was in a great spot until Tulane promoted from within.

Oh well . . . I trust that they'll be able to find a left handed bat in the portal.

Well . . . Tulane's "pitch" was successful. All but a done deal that Brady Marget will remain with the Green Wave.

The process has been fascinating to "watch and learn" from afar. Although I've read about how scholarship athletes "pain" over what to do when the coach who recruited them and for whom they agreed to "sign" gets either (a) fired or (b) voluntarily leaves, this was my first foray into how it impacts not only the athlete but the parents as well.

I've read some accolades thrown out there by national writers about why promoting in-house was a smart move by Tulane's AD. Be cautious before you drink that Kool-Aid. He likely had no other option after 15 players entered the transfer portal when no replacement was in the fold. Given the new rules, players had to enter the portal by 7/1 to preserve their rights to transfer. It was a "no brainer" for the kids to do so. Tulane's AD had to act quickly - otherwise there would have been a mass exodus. Had he acted before the end of the season and promoted the coach from in-house, very few Tulane players would have entered the portal.

I can also state with confidence that Heller and Sutherland made a great pitch and spared no effort. Iowa was in a great spot until Tulane promoted from within.

Oh well . . . I trust that they'll be able to find a left handed bat in the portal.
Thanks for the insight!!

Current Transfer Portal Players that Marty Sutherland follows on Twitter

Nebraska P Koty Frank
Northwestern OF Ethan O'Donnell
Arkansas P Mark Adamiak
Kentucky OF Kirk Liebert
Kansas P Ryan Vanderhei
Duke OF RJ Schreck
UNCW P Hunter Hodges

Put a bit more info on each of these guys in the Hawkeye Lounge thread.

Edited: to add Hodges

Last edited:
Statistics on the Parkland College page are incorrect.

P Jack Young - 12 app, 28.2 INN, 5.97 ERA, 19 ER, 31 SO, 12 BB

From LeClaire, IA and went to Pleasant Valley, so a homestate kid.

Reactions: 2bagger22
Man it would be great if Brecht and Morgan could figure it out this summer and be really good next year.

Man it would be great if Brecht and Morgan could figure it out this summer and be really good next year.

Brecht's first inning:
1. K swinging.
2. K swinging but runner reached first due to wild pitch. (Runner caught stealing)
3. K swinging but runner reached first due to wild pitch.
4. K swinging.

Brecht's second inning:
1. K swinging.
2. K swinging.
3. K swinging.

Brecht's third inning:
1. K swinging.
2. E-6
3. K swinging.
(Removed from game after throwing 2.2 innings)

10 batters faced; 9 Ks; 46 pitches; 31 strikes

I'm hoping that he needs innings to increase durability and improve control. Have to think that he was on a 10 batter limit or 50 pitch limit.

Reactions: funnyfletcher
Brecht's first inning:
1. K swinging.
2. K swinging but runner reached first due to wild pitch. (Runner caught stealing)
3. K swinging but runner reached first due to wild pitch.
4. K swinging.

Brecht's second inning:
1. K swinging.
2. K swinging.
3. K swinging.

Brecht's third inning:
1. K swinging.
2. E-6
3. K swinging.
(Removed from game after throwing 2.2 innings)

10 batters faced; 9 Ks; 46 pitches; 31 strikes

I'm hoping that he needs innings to increase durability and improve control. Have to think that he was on a 10 batter limit or 50 pitch limit.

I'd really like to know how many of the 31 strikes were actually in the strike zone. It would appear that at least two of them were not. It's one thing to be overpowering with "stuff" in the strike zone and wholly another when the opponent is flailing at balls out of the strike zone.

Looking at roster online -- all the transfers have been removed but Davitt and Sher still listed. Would be big if both of them returned.

Looking at roster online -- all the transfers have been removed but Davitt and Sher still listed. Would be big if both of them returned.
They may. Baumann I don't think planned to come back at this point last year. Even played in the same summer league as Davitt.

ADVERTISEMENT