ADVERTISEMENT

2024 is the Year

Steamboat529529

HR All-American
May 27, 2021
With all the talk about the new big ten, Iowa will only have to play two of the top six programs in the Big Ten in 2024. Playing at OSU won’t be good but playing a Washington team at Kinnick with a ton of new guys and coaching staff isn’t daunting. Iowa gets three out of four rivalry games at Kinnick. Schedule gets a lot tougher in 2025 and 2026. It’s time to make a run.

With all the talk about the new big ten, Iowa will only have to play two of the top six programs in the Big Ten in 2024. Playing at OSU won’t be good but playing a Washington team at Kinnick with a ton of new guys and coaching staff isn’t daunting. Iowa gets three out of four rivalry games at Kinnick. Schedule gets a lot tougher in 2025 and 2026. It’s time to make a run.
Yep. If a playoff berth were ever to happen, it pretty much has to be this upcoming season.

LOL - look at our recent recruiting on offense & recent history. It will temper those expectations.

If you want to be engaged in success in 24 get on board with baseball.

In 2025 (Oregon, Penn State, @USC) and 2026 (OSU, @Michigan, @Wash) we will play three out of the six top Big Ten Programs. I might even say in 2024 we will only play one, because I could see Washington taking a step back, maybe not quite like TCU, after playing for the title but close. And that game is in Kinnick.

Yes..24 could be our shot at BTTitle game and playoffs.
2025 is brutal, which might push KF to go out in glory in 24.

UCLA UWash MSU will have 1st year coaches.

After Cade goes down, Deacon will take us to the promise land.

Pretty sure some dude on Twitter compared Deacon to Purdy, if Purdy couldn’t run or throw swing passes….

Yeah….i got banned from Twitter for a bit because of my response

I don't know much, but I know they are not beating any decent B1G team scoring under 20 points a game going forward

This includes Washington. Wisconsin was ahead of the curve on this. This is where the game is headed.

Reactions: CerroGordoHawk
Then here's hoping my initial impression of the Lester hire is incredibly off base.

As well as my thinking that KF will 'handcuff' him to run the offense he wants, instead of letting Lester run his own offense without restriction.

How about this scenario? Iowa's offense is marginally better, averages 350 yds/game, 22 pts, wins all their games except gets beat handily by OSU and not showing to be competitive on offense in that game. Goes to the B1G against that same OSU team and gets beat soundly again. But, then, the outright 2nd place B1G and 2-loss team gets invited to the 12 team playoff (they have to right, there is going to be a minimum of 4 B1G teams and you have to take the 2nd place team) and gets blown out in the first round.

Where are well at then at this time next year?

2024 is the year. Honestly, Iowa should walk through most of the competition, but at UCLA is going to likely be the normal west coast shit show. Washington has Michigan the week before Iowa. OSU will be interesting, unless they improved their OL, Iowa should be in that game.

Reactions: NevadaHawk
How about this scenario? Iowa's offense is marginally better, averages 350 yds/game, 22 pts, wins all their games except gets beat handily by OSU and not showing to be competitive on offense in that game. Goes to the B1G against that same OSU team and gets beat soundly again. But, then, the outright 2nd place B1G and 2-loss team gets invited to the 12 team playoff (they have to right, there is going to be a minimum of 4 B1G teams and you have to take the 2nd place team) and gets blown out in the first round.

Where are well at then at this time next year?
You do realize Iowa averaged 235 yards and 15 points per game, right? This wouldn't be marginal improvement. This would be a massive jump in production.

You do realize Iowa averaged 235 yards and 15 points per game, right? This wouldn't be marginal improvement. This would be a massive jump in production.
Is that enough for you? Would you be happy and satisfied in that scenario? Even at 350/22 that still only ranks the offense between 90-100 or so based on 2023 numbers.

Is that enough for you? Would you be happy and satisfied in that scenario? Even at 350/22 that still only ranks the offense between 90-100 or so based on 2023 numbers.
The Iowa offense was completely broken. We're talking lower level FCS. These numbers would reflect approximately 50% improvements in offensive production. Anybody expecting more is living in fantasy land. So yeah, below average is going to have to be good enough until bigger changes in staff occur.

Last edited:
Reactions: TnT_Hawks
I mean you're absolutely right. However, I think we all know when the offense is in as bad of shape as ours is we would need to hit the ground running. I'm pretty sure that's not going to happen. At what point is Cade going to be able to actually hit the ground running and fully participate? Can he stay healthy? Do we have more than 1 actual receiver in Brown? Can Proctor really make that much of a difference? I'm so jaded after watching Deacon play 2/3 of a season and watching punt after punt I just can't wrap my arms around any of this. But your timeline is absolutely correct. If we were to actually make a run next year would be the year to do it w/this schedule.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT