ADVERTISEMENT

FOX to air Friday Night college football matchup each week this fall

Digger1

HR Heisman
Sep 30, 2001

Dedicated Primetime Window Features Elite Matchups from the Big Ten, Big 12 and Mountain West Friday Nights on FOX

Friday Night Football Joins Network’s Unrivaled Football Weekend Lineup Highlighted by BIG NOON SATURDAY and FOX NFL’s AMERICA’S GAME OF THE WEEK

Los Angeles
– Starting this fall, Fridays are for football as FOX Sports unveils its new special package of elite Friday night college football games on the FOX broadcast network. The primetime slate will feature matchups from the Big Ten, Big 12 and Mountain West conferences.

For three consecutive seasons, FOX Sports has laid claim to the most-watched regular season college football game on any network with the BIG NOON SATURDAY window. In 2023, BIG NOON SATURDAY averaged 6,739,000 viewers on FOX – its best season ever and up +8% year-over-year.

“FOX is football, and our new Friday night package will make FOX the leader in America’s game throughout the weekend,” said Michael Mulvihill, President, Insight and Analytics, FOX Corporation. “We’ve built our collegiate business by seizing opportunities in previously underutilized timeslots, first with BIG NOON SATURDAY and now on Friday nights. Our goal this fall is to have the No. 1 college football game on both Fridays and Saturdays and the top NFL game on Sundays.”

FOX Sports’ 2024 complete college football schedule – including its new Friday night package – and broadcaster lineup will be released at a later date.

Dedicated Primetime Window Features Elite Matchups from the Big Ten, Big 12 and Mountain West Friday Nights on FOX

Friday Night Football Joins Network’s Unrivaled Football Weekend Lineup Highlighted by BIG NOON SATURDAY and FOX NFL’s AMERICA’S GAME OF THE WEEK

Los Angeles
– Starting this fall, Fridays are for football as FOX Sports unveils its new special package of elite Friday night college football games on the FOX broadcast network. The primetime slate will feature matchups from the Big Ten, Big 12 and Mountain West conferences.

For three consecutive seasons, FOX Sports has laid claim to the most-watched regular season college football game on any network with the BIG NOON SATURDAY window. In 2023, BIG NOON SATURDAY averaged 6,739,000 viewers on FOX – its best season ever and up +8% year-over-year.

“FOX is football, and our new Friday night package will make FOX the leader in America’s game throughout the weekend,” said Michael Mulvihill, President, Insight and Analytics, FOX Corporation. “We’ve built our collegiate business by seizing opportunities in previously underutilized timeslots, first with BIG NOON SATURDAY and now on Friday nights. Our goal this fall is to have the No. 1 college football game on both Fridays and Saturdays and the top NFL game on Sundays.”

FOX Sports’ 2024 complete college football schedule – including its new Friday night package – and broadcaster lineup will be released at a later date.
As long as it's not on a streaming platform virtually nobody has, that's great.

Reactions: 4IUSox2 and Digger1
Minus week 1 Friday games have typically involve the lesser programs or least always seems to ge played at their venues. Games at Maryland, Rutgers, Illinois etc. sure will continue to see that. Guess logic is more people will tune in to watch a Purdue vs NW on Friday night where as no one would give a shit on Saturday afternoon. With jNW under construction definitely see them as an option where ever they are playing games at.

Sure goal is to get few games with schools that are ranked or typically are. Like Wisc played at Purdue last year and both psu and Iowa played Maryland on a Friday years past. Also curious to see what they do for 2nd Black Friday game this year.

Reactions: ichawk24
As long as it's not on a streaming platform virtually nobody has, that's great.
Yeah, they're not going to put a Friday night game on Peacock. That platform is used to fit in all the Saturday games, typically in the early or mid afternoon, when there is no other network available.

Games on streaming services aren't going anywhere, so you might as well get used to it. However, I think we are still several years away from any marquee games being on such networks.

I love college football and love to see it on Friday (or Thurs) nights.

But it is interesting - they used to claim they stayed away from Friday night because the didn't want to detract from High School games.

Money, it's a hit
Ah, don't give me that do-goody-good bullshit
Aside from family’s who have kids, grandkids playing on Friday nights. Does high school football really get that much attention?
I think in the 20+ years since I played high school football I’ve been to maybe 10 total high school football games.
If I get to the point where I go to watch my own kids or even my nephews play, I’m guessing I’ll be alright with the possibility that I’ll miss an iowa game and I guarantee I’ll be watching many college football games on Friday nights.

Reactions: MelroseMauler
Aside from family’s who have kids, grandkids playing on Friday nights. Does high school football really get that much attention?
I think in the 20+ years since I played high school football I’ve been to maybe 10 total high school football games.
If I get to the point where I go to watch my own kids or even my nephews play, I’m guessing I’ll be alright with the possibility that I’ll miss an iowa game and I guarantee I’ll be watching many college football games on Friday nights.
I wasn't complaining. I like Friday night football.

I wasn't complaining. I like Friday night football.
Sorry I was genuinely asking the question. Not sure why the argument was always it will ruin Friday night high school football.
Heck my old high school has had to play a few Thursday night games recently because of the lack of officiating in the area.

Yeah, they're not going to put a Friday night game on Peacock. That platform is used to fit in all the Saturday games, typically in the early or mid afternoon, when there is no other network available.

Games on streaming services aren't going anywhere, so you might as well get used to it. However, I think we are still several years away from any marquee games being on such networks.
I think it will be MUCH sooner than you think. Remember...they actually had an NFL Playoff game this past season.

Sorry I was genuinely asking the question. Not sure why the argument was always it will ruin Friday night high school football.
Heck my old high school has had to play a few Thursday night games recently because of the lack of officiating in the area.
I think it was a publicly acceptable excuse. Probably wasn't as profitable a regular programing. 🤷‍♂️

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT