ADVERTISEMENT

https://d1baseball.com/coaching-buzz/college-coaching-buzz-running-scoop/

Article requires a subscription, but in summary, it seems the Huskers are focusing on former Husker shortstop and current Texas A&M assistant Will Bolt.

Kendall Rogers also says, however, to keep an eye on Rick Heller as this search comes to a close. On Heller, Rogers says:

Iowa head coach Rick Heller is another name to watch in this search. There's mutual interest, we're told, and Heller would do an amazing job at Nebraska. Heller has taken a program with bad facilities and resources and turned it into a consistent Big Ten and postseason contender. That's not easy. Heller is also very well-respected around the coaching community and would be an "A" grade hire for me. Stay tuned, as I think the Huskers search will come to an end in the next few days.

Reactions: chonk
Purdue has hired Greg Goff as their next head coach. He has spent the past two seasons as a volunteer assistant at Purdue. He was previously a head coach at Campbell, Louisiana Tech and most recently prior to his work at Purdue, spent one season as head coach at Alabama.

https://d1baseball.com/coaching-buzz/college-coaching-buzz-running-scoop/

Article requires a subscription, but in summary, it seems the Huskers are focusing on former Husker shortstop and current Texas A&M assistant Will Bolt.

Kendall Rogers also says, however, to keep an eye on Rick Heller as this search comes to a close. On Heller, Rogers says:

Iowa head coach Rick Heller is another name to watch in this search. There's mutual interest, we're told, and Heller would do an amazing job at Nebraska. Heller has taken a program with bad facilities and resources and turned it into a consistent Big Ten and postseason contender. That's not easy. Heller is also very well-respected around the coaching community and would be an "A" grade hire for me. Stay tuned, as I think the Huskers search will come to an end in the next few days.

Welp if Heller wants to go to Nebraska let him.

Obviously we have no recourse other than to step up and make promises in writing which is not going to happen

Love the guy. I would hate to see him go. But he would absolutely kill it at a place like Nebraska that's actually serious about baseball

and, if they are truly talking and offered him the job I know he would take it.

It would be foolish not to.

Iowa might never win a game against Nebraska again let alone when a series.

Why won't Iowa commit to some resources or more money for baseball?

Wow...300k? I think Heller is at 385 now.

Per this database, Bolt would be the third-highest paid coach in the Big Ten (2018 salaries)

1. Erik Bakich, Michigan - $400,000
2. Greg Beals, Ohio State - $311,874
3. Will Bolt, Nebraska - $300,000
3. Chris Lemonis, Indiana - $300,000
5. Dan Hartleb, Illinois - $298,758
6. Rick Heller, Iowa - $262,000
7. John Anderson, Minnesota - $228,375
8. Mark Wasikowski, Purdue - $185,000 (replaced by Greg Goff, salary unknown)
9. Robert Vaughn, Maryland - $180,000
10. Jake Boss, Michigan State - $175,092
11. Joe Litterio, Rutgers - $156,000 (RU position is currently vacant)

Penn State & Northwestern don't release salary information.

Darin Erstad was making $221,083

Per this database, Bolt would be the third-highest paid coach in the Big Ten (2018 salaries)

Heller 341K, so I was a bit off.

https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/s...se-rick-heller-contract-amendment/1084601002/

Ever listened to O.A.R.'s "Crazy Game Of Poker"?

Not everyone has thrown in their cards yet.

There's a game still going on in the back room.

Reactions: RHBar
Not sure if we are on the same page but I’m aware of what could be called poker & I hope it ends very well for Iowa baseball.

Heller is 2nd highest paid in the B1G? Yikes!

From Hawk Central:

Aug 24, 2018

Heller's contract length runs through the 2024 season....His base salary for the 2018-19 season was bumped to $325,000 an increase of $63,000, or 24 percent, from his previously scheduled $262,000.

Also, Heller's base pay (not including performance bonuses) was upped from $275,000 to $341,000 for the 2019-20 season.

The terms of Heller's latest contract, which was signed in June, were obtained by the Des Moines Register through a Freedom of Information Act request.

Heller was mentioned as a possibility for an opening at Kansas State in the offseason and continues to be a hot coaching name. He has led Iowa to an average of 34.6 wins in his five seasons.

https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/s...se-rick-heller-contract-amendment/1084601002/

The salaries of the eight coaches in the CWS: (does not include bonuses or incentives)

Tim Corbin, Vanderbilt: $1,318,162 (this from 2017, last data available)
Dave Van Horn, Arkansas: $1,100,000
Dan McDonnell, Louisville: $1,100,000
Butch Thompson, Auburn: $1,000,000
Tim Tadlock, Texas Tech: $1,000,000
Mike Martin, Florida State: $700,000
Chris Lemonis, Mississippi State: $600,000
Erik Bakich, Michigan: $425,000

The salaries of the eight coaches in the CWS: (does not include bonuses or incentives)

Tim Corbin, Vanderbilt: $1,318,162 (this from 2017, last data available)
Dave Van Horn, Arkansas: $1,100,000
Dan McDonnell, Louisville: $1,100,000
Butch Thompson, Auburn: $1,000,000
Tim Tadlock, Texas Tech: $1,000,000
Mike Martin, Florida State: $700,000
Chris Lemonis, Mississippi State: $600,000
Erik Bakich, Michigan: $425,000
wow. would love to know how much money each of these school's baseball program loses (where they are subsidized by donors, football, basketball, etc)

Reactions: Franisdaman
Did Heller hire KF's agent? Heller making $341,000 at Iowa is very good. I'd imagine it would take a substantial increase to get him to leave.

Would ND be a better job? It would be much harder to win as a northern school in the ACC.

Did Heller hire KF's agent? Heller making $341,000 at Iowa is very good. I'd imagine it would take a substantial increase to get him to leave.

Would ND be a better job? It would be much harder to win as a northern school in the ACC.
With Rick it's about more than just salary.

The ND job is still a good one, but most veteran coaches agree it isn't what it used to be.

With Rick it's about more than just salary.

The ND job is still a good one, but most veteran coaches agree it isn't what it used to be.

I just read Kendall Rogers' update on the Notre Dame search. Woof, you weren't kidding about veteran coaches not being so interested. Most of the reported smoke involves top assistants without head coaching experience.

Reactions: non-poster
I just read Kendall Rogers' update on the Notre Dame search. Woof, you weren't kidding about veteran coaches not being so interested. Most of the reported smoke involves top assistants without head coaching experience.
It would be difficult to compete with Miami, Florida State, North Carolina, Georgia Tech, NCST, etc. from South Bend.

ADVERTISEMENT