ADVERTISEMENT

37 Hawkeye & Cyclone players/athletes are now part of Federal Lawsuit

Do you think the lawyers for the athletes will want to take this to trial so it all comes out? A pre-trial settlement likely would keep things confidential.

Hell yes they want to go to trial. Who doesn’t is the state and the Iowa and Iowa State football programs

I don't think the athletes deserve much money, but everyone that knew about the investigation should be fired, and the key folks should get a long time in jail.
The athletes privacy was illegally breached.
This is easily a massive punitive damages situation.
Add in the unnecessary embarrassment, mental stress, loss of study time answering probing questions from Brenna Bird's flunkies, and other personal rights that were infringed.

• Angry
Reactions: el dub and Iron Doc
I agree with MSU158, why do they deserve at least $1M? I get it that it was an illegal search but they did break the law. I would say if anything the money should go to an independent review board or some type of training to make sure illegal searches do not happen again and if it does then this is the penalty. The money getting thrown around with NIL these days makes we almost want to stop watching college athletics and go out on the lake instead. With that being said I think the NCAA and all the conference heads should not be making millions or billions on the athletes either. It is ridiculous to say the least.

Not all of them broke the law

If that is the case then they should not be a part of this lawsuit then correct? If they broke no law or NCAA rule then they should have been competing right or am I missing something?
This what I was replying to (not all of them broke the law as your post said they did). If they didn't break the law & there was an illegal search done by law enforcement...that's why they can sue them.

You admit that there was an illegal search, then say - oh well - it's ok they broke the law as long as they caught someone breaking a law.

But actually, you can punish both if they both did something wrong. The method for citizens to remedy law enforcement for violating their rights is to sue (they don't have the ability to legally arrest/charge them with criminal charges...so this is their option).

Should be every tenant at the apartments then right and not just the athletes that get to sue?

I did not say "oh well" they broke the law. I am not saying the law enforcement or state should not get their due either but to award millions to them is absurd if you ask me.

I am fine with both getting punished. Not sure why law enforcement and people that knew about this should not face charges or be arrested? Sue happy USA where you can become a millionaire overnight for BS is not the answer though.

This what I was replying to (not all of them broke the law as your post said they did). If they didn't break the law & there was an illegal search done by law enforcement...that's why they can sue them.

You admit that there was an illegal search, then say - oh well - it's ok they broke the law as long as they caught someone breaking a law.

But actually, you can punish both if they both did something wrong. The method for citizens to remedy law enforcement for violating their rights is to sue (they don't have the ability to legally arrest/charge them with criminal charges...so this is their option).
I have no issue with the lawsuit. Everything that can be done, legally, to bring this to light and hold everyone responsible close to the fire, should be done. My contention is with those that believe they should get substantial monies as a result. I mean, you have a guy on here calling for 7 figures for each student athlete. That is BEYOND ridiculous....

Reactions: acuhawk
Should be every tenant at the apartments then right and not just the athletes that get to sue?

I did not say "oh well" they broke the law. I am not saying the law enforcement or state should not get their due either but to award millions to them is absurd if you ask me.

I am fine with both getting punished. Not sure why law enforcement and people that knew about this should not face charges or be arrested? Sue happy USA where you can become a millionaire overnight for BS is not the answer though.
Huh?

the penalties are too harsh but still. This hurts my brain.

these guys know its against the rules in your current life, there are other ways to make money.
why?

I have no issue with the lawsuit. Everything that can be done, legally, to bring this to light and hold everyone responsible close to the fire, should be done. My contention is with those that believe they should get substantial monies as a result. I mean, you have a guy on here calling for 7 figures for each student athlete. That is BEYOND ridiculous....
That is exactly what is being done. The suit is doing everything LEGALLY to get compensation(punish the state) that they can. Our legal process allows compensation(money) to be paid to the victims. They cannot punish the state any other way leagally. To punish then fairly, it may be large some of money.

That is exactly what is being done. The suit is doing everything LEGALLY to get compensation(punish the state) that they can. Our legal process allows compensation(money) to be paid to the victims. They cannot punish the state any other way leagally. To punish then fairly, it may be large some of money.
As someone stated above, all you are really punishing is the taxpayers. If you think awarding huge sums of money to a bunch of kids actually punishes those that did wrong,…

Oh, and they ABSOLUTELY can punish the state by firing anyone involved, charging them criminally and instituting substantial procedural oversight in said department for as long as it takes to MAKE SURE something like this doesn’t happen again.

And yet more than 30 attorneys from 3 different law firms representing these athletes seemingly never considered that. Isn't that rather odd?
Statutory atty fees. In addition to any damages they recover, under Sec. 1983 each prevailing claimant is entitled to recover atty fees calculated at an hourly rate determined by the court. The atty fee claims standing alone are a big carrot for the lawyers. Presuming there truly are 30 attys from three different firms involved, the statutory atty fees claims might be the reason why.

Last edited:
Reactions: el dub
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT