ADVERTISEMENT

#4 MSU loses at home again James Madison

While I am not a MSU fan this outcome will not help the league's ranking which could be important to a potential fringe bubble team like Iowa.
The league will be fine. Might hurt it a little bit, but ultimately where are more bids going to go to? The American basically went from a fringe power league to a 2-bid mid-major league due to realignment. The WCC will get their usual 2 bids. The A10 hasn't been a good basketball league for a couple years now and last night their preseason #2 team also lost to McNeese St. The Mountain West is probably the only non-power league capable of getting more than 2.

While I am not a MSU fan this outcome will not help the league's ranking which could be important to a potential fringe bubble team like Iowa.
Sorry, but nah. Screw all that.

If MSU losing to JMU in the first game of the season is an actual make-or-break reason why Iowa misses out on the Dance or not, the Hawks probably didn't deserve a bid anyways.

The league will be fine. Might hurt it a little bit, but ultimately where are more bids going to go to? The American basically went from a fringe power league to a 2-bid mid-major league due to realignment. The WCC will get their usual 2 bids. The A10 hasn't been a good basketball league for a couple years now and last night their preseason #2 team also lost to McNeese St. The Mountain West is probably the only non-power league capable of getting more than 2.

I think the argument is more that losses like this won't hurt teams getting bids, but it will hurt seeds which make it harder for teams to advance.

Take last year for example - the Big 10 had a lot of bids but basically all of them were between 7 and 10. Just a lot harder to make the second weekend that way.

I think the argument is more that losses like this won't hurt teams getting bids, but it will hurt seeds which make it harder for teams to advance.

Take last year for example - the Big 10 had a lot of bids but basically all of them were between 7 and 10. Just a lot harder to make the second weekend that way.
I agree with that.

Sarcastic Season 4 GIF by The Office

Reactions: pmtdc
B1G may be a bit down from the very recent past, but I'll be surprised if isn't considered one of the top conferences by the end of the year again.

Its just one ****in' game. Nobody needs to panic and be ready to 'deep six' the conference after the very first night of the regular season.

sparty has the athletes. pg was lights out, except at the FT line. Poor free throws and atrocious shooting from 3 did them in.
It's only one game and it's not like this is sparty's only early season turd.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
Was the JMU team repping its football counterpart? Its football team is barred from bowl games this season due to transition from FCS to FBS.

Yup thats just Izzo MSU being Izzo MSU. Could finish 8th in the conference and make to the final 4, would not be a suprise.

I think the best thing about that game last night was in the postgame handshake line, while Izzo is pouting as he moves along shaking hands and a JMU player is facing the (MSU) crowd and pulling on his jersey and talking shit at them as Izzo is approaching him.

They cut away from it before Izzo was close enough for contact or walking around the guy, but I was LOLing.

1. MSU’s # ranking is simply because of Izzo
2. MSU is not #4
3. MSU always gets better
4. It shows there is no reason why Iowa can’t be more successful in this world of portal and NIL… Last I saw, James Madison is not loaded with 4 and 5 stars

I think the best thing about that game last night was in the postgame handshake line, while Izzo is pouting as he moves along shaking hands and a JMU player is facing the (MSU) crowd and pulling on his jersey and talking shit at them as Izzo is approaching him.

They cut away from it before Izzo was close enough for contact or walking around the guy, but I was LOLing.

It's not November if Michigan State isn't losing a bunch of early season games to teams they have no business losing to. Although, James Madison isn't a bad program and I think they've been a tournament team the last few years.

Don't worry, MSU will have things together by the time Iowa plays them and for the tournament. Plus, Izzo rules kick in during January and they get those three extra guys on the court to help them out.

1. MSU’s # ranking is simply because of Izzo
2. MSU is not #4
3. MSU always gets better
4. It shows there is no reason why Iowa can’t be more successful in this world of portal and NIL… Last I saw, James Madison is not loaded with 4 and 5 stars
True, but one game does not a season make. Lets see JM play the whole year in the B1G before we start comparing them to what Iowa is facing. As a side note, care to wager what would happen if JM played MSU in February, and not week 1?

B1G may be a bit down from the very recent past, but I'll be surprised if isn't considered one of the top conferences by the end of the year again.
When was the last season the B10 performed well in the tournament? Honest question. Feels like the lower seeded teams has gained more of a reputation for getting bounced early opposed to exceeding expectations.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
When was the last season the B10 performed well in the tournament? Honest question. Feels like the lower seeded teams has gained more of a reputation for getting bounced early opposed to exceeding expectations.
Honestly, I think seedings are a crapshoot. Its all about individual team-vs-team matchups.

If Iowa is matched up with a team that plays a similar style, I like their chances. But if they get matched up with a team that is known for their 'tough' - IE, rough & tumble 'wrestling' - defense, then its gonna take some unreal shooting for most of the game by the Hawks for them to advance.

My original reply was meant to say that the higher the conference rank the more likely that bubble team(s) from that conference will be selected over others from lower ranked ones, seeding is a secondary concern after that. Both for the committee and fans & anlaysts.

sparty struggling again with perimeter shooting in their second game. Easily handling the punching bag (southern Indiana) they are playing. Doesn't bode well for them if they can't find find some shooters.

True, but one game does not a season make. Lets see JM play the whole year in the B1G before we start comparing them to what Iowa is facing. As a side note, care to wager what would happen if JM played MSU in February, and not week 1?
I said MSU always gets better … my point being that lesser teams can beat the big boys when it comes to basketball

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT