ADVERTISEMENT

4000 workers, 5 years, 2 billion dollars in money at the time

If you do a satellite view of Oak Ridge you can still see some of the original buildings, and where they removed some of them.

I have a cubs trivia question. When Sandberg was injured in 87, who became the starting second basemen, playing in 70 games with the Cubs.

I have a cubs trivia question. When Sandberg was injured in 87, who became the starting second basemen, playing in 70 games with the Cubs.
Did they trade for Manny Trillo? I only say this because over the Winter Marquee played a game with him at 2nd, I think.

Regarding the OP's question, which US weapons system cost more than the Manhattan Project during WWII?

Nailed it. It ran around $3B.
In fairness, it also killed a lot more Japs.

Tokyo burned for days after the MEETINGHOUSE raid. Human corpses littered the streets seemingly everywhere within the target area. Burnt charcoal-like piles on streets, corners, and inside homes were stark reminders that a human being had burned to death on that spot. Stacks of corpses that had melted together to form piles two meters high, or more, and were common sights throughout the area. The city’s river slowed to a trickle as stacks of dead bodies drifted down-stream, clustered together around bridges, and stopped the flow of the river like some hideous, grotesque beaver dam. It would be weeks before Tokyo officials could begin to dispose of the dead and clear the rubble.

Post-raid analysis stated that Tokyo’s ability to produce war materiel, or any materiel really, was cut in half. Sixteen square miles of the formerly bustling capital had been razed to the ground. Over 1,000,000 people were left homeless after the raid, and more than a quarter million buildings and homes had been destroyed. Morale among the citizens of Tokyo plummeted. For the first time, many came to the realization that the war was lost. Their government could feed them all the false propaganda it wanted, but the fiery writing was literally on the walls. The estimated 110,000 fatalities were all one needed to know to prove that point.

In fairness, it also killed a lot more Japs.

Tokyo burned for days after the MEETINGHOUSE raid. Human corpses littered the streets seemingly everywhere within the target area. Burnt charcoal-like piles on streets, corners, and inside homes were stark reminders that a human being had burned to death on that spot. Stacks of corpses that had melted together to form piles two meters high, or more, and were common sights throughout the area. The city’s river slowed to a trickle as stacks of dead bodies drifted down-stream, clustered together around bridges, and stopped the flow of the river like some hideous, grotesque beaver dam. It would be weeks before Tokyo officials could begin to dispose of the dead and clear the rubble.

Post-raid analysis stated that Tokyo’s ability to produce war materiel, or any materiel really, was cut in half. Sixteen square miles of the formerly bustling capital had been razed to the ground. Over 1,000,000 people were left homeless after the raid, and more than a quarter million buildings and homes had been destroyed. Morale among the citizens of Tokyo plummeted. For the first time, many came to the realization that the war was lost. Their government could feed them all the false propaganda it wanted, but the fiery writing was literally on the walls. The estimated 110,000 fatalities were all one needed to know to prove that point.
Oh without a doubt it killed more, especially that Tokyo mission. My dad was involved in that raid as his 19th Bomb Group led the mission. He never talked much about it but I kind of had a feeling it was a sense of payback as the 19th BG was originally stationed at Clark Field in the Phillipines and took lots of losses at the start of the war when Japan attacked Pearl Harbor and other US bases throughout the Pacific. Some of those original 19th men ended up on the Bataan death march.

Reactions: seminole97
worth every focking penny too!

6192ce50633c2.image.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT