5 MLB Teams Now Looking For New Managers

LuteHawk

HR Legend
Nov 30, 2011
The game of musical chairs for MLB managers is
now in progress. The Cubs, Pirates, Giants, Padres
and Royals need to hire a new manager. This list
could get longer as a few other managers are on the
hot seat as the 2019 season comes to a conclusion.

Who are some names besides David Ross that you have
heard about concerning the Cubs?

Last edited:
One guy who is looking for a job is former NY Yankee
manager Joe Girardi. He has been gone for 2 years
from a MLB dugout

The Chicago Cubs job is the most appealing of those
five teams looking for a new manager. After laid-back
Maddon they might need some discipline which Girardi
could offer.

I doubt that this will be the full list of open jobs. Bochy was known to be retiring, so my guess is the Giants have their #1 candidate in mind. Last week I read an article that Hurdle had been told he was coming back. Well, that changed quickly.
I don’t think it’s a done deal that Ross, or Loretta winds up with the Cubs job. If I were a potential manager with other options I’d like to know what the Cubs are doing on the player development side before signing on.
Since Girardi has been brought up, I don’t think he gets any job unless he comes off of his $5 million per year asking price. That’s the same reason you won’t see Maddon go to KC.

Today, the Angels fired manager Brad Asmus to bring
the total to 6 MLB teams looking for a new manager.

I think some GMs would prefer a stooge be in the dugout and have them relay the texts from the GM on what to do.

When you judge a MLB team their entire history needs
to be viewed.

The NY Yankees have won 27 World Series
The St. Louis Cardinals have won 11 World Series

The rest of the teams are all in single digits for WS wins.

Reactions: jamesvanderwulf
The Chicago Cubs job is the most appealing of those
five teams looking for a new manager. After laid-back
Maddon they might need some discipline which Girardi
could offer.

Unless Girardi embraces analytics, he won't be coaching the Cubs while Theo and/or Jed are there.

By Mark Gonzales
Chicago Tribune |
Sep 30, 2019 | 6:55 AM

Cubs have parted ways with Joe Maddon after five seasons and one World Series title.

Who are the most likely candidates to replace him? Here are seven names.

Carlos Beltran
ZAPMQKUDFBAI7F2Q667LY66QMM.jpg

Carlos Beltran answers questions from the media ahead of the World Series on Oct. 23, 2017. (Justin Heiman / Getty Images)
Beltran, 40, is a special adviser with the Yankees after a 20-year playing career that included nine All-Star selections and three Gold Glove awards. Beltran was asked to interview for the Yankees’ managerial position after 2017 despite recently retiring. Beltran has been hands-on in his current role, from writing scouting reports to watching video of players to mentoring young players.

Bruce Bochy
MB4QNVI2T5AGTICIWKRB6YG2LQ.jpg

Giants manager Bruce Bochy watches from the dugout during a game against the Braves on Sept. 20, 2019. (John Bazemore / AP)
Why not take a shot? Bochy, 64, ended a 13-year stint with the Giants highlighted by three World Series titles and a knack for handling young stars and veterans fairly. Bochy’s association with Cubs President Theo Epstein dates to 1998 with the Padres won the National League title — their last league pennant.

Joe Girardi
OKW6ZWNAZ5HF3PZZXKI4PJEKRE.jpg

Yankees manager Joe Girardi pauses during a news conference on Aug. 1, 2016. (The Associated Press)
Girardi, 54, a former Cubs player (1989-92, 2000-02), managed for 11 seasons with the Marlins (2006) and Yankees (2008-17). Girardi has provided keen analysis for the last two seasons for the MLB Network. He pulled out of consideration for the Reds’ job last winter that eventually went to David Bell. Girardi has committed to managing USA Baseball Premier12 team that will attempt to qualify for the 2020 Olympic Games in Tokyo.

Raul Ibanez
4C5XOTEVWRCZXM653PTXVRA4ZE.jpg

The Mariners' Raul Ibanez celebrates with teammates after his sixth-inning home run against the Tigers at Comerica Park on Sept. 17, 2013. (Julian H. Gonzalez / McClatchy-Tribune)
Ibanez, 47, was a finalist for the Rays’ managerial job after Joe Maddon’s departure to the Cubs after the 2014 season. That came shortly after his 19-year playing career ended. Ibanez signed with the Mariners as a 36th-round pick in 1992 and has a strong reputation for working with younger teammates. He also has served as a television analyst.

Mark Loretta
UFO5JEUBZNAUFB4TEJCDLDV454.jpg

Cubs shortstop Nico Hoerner talks with bench coach Mark Loretta before a game against the Padres on Sept. 9, 2019. (Gregory Bull/AP)
Before becoming the Cubs bench coach in 2019, Loretta, 48, spent the last nine seasons in the Padres front office as a special assistant. The Northwestern alumnus was highly respected as an infielder for parts of 15 seasons with the Brewers, Astros, Padres, Red Sox and Dodgers, compiling a .295 batting average. His front-office experience can’t be dismissed, as Craig Counsell spent three seasons as a special assistant before taking over as Brewers manager and leading them to consecutive playoff berths.

David Ross

WQSYBQ2IQNAR5PXAC4ORNBQRKI.jpg

David Ross was the talk of Wrigley Field during the final homestand. Could he be back next season - as the Cubs manager?
Former Cubs catcher David Ross visits with manager Joe Maddon before Game 2 of the 2017 National League Division Series. (Brian Cassella / TNS)

1 / 72

Ross, 42, spent the last two of his 15 major-league seasons with the Cubs, where he serves as a special assistant to baseball operations. He has been perceived as a potential major-league manager since his second stint as a player with the Red Sox (2013-14), and he’s familiar with the Cubs personnel in his third season as a member of the front office who is far removed from the clubhouse.

Kevin Youkilis
X7QE7BRFCVEHJFZ3FRYNXY7Z2Y.jpg

Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein, first baseman Kevin Youkilis and manager Terry Francona react to a reporter's question during a news conference at Fenway Park on Jan. 16, 2009. (JOSH REYNOLDS / Associated Press)
Youkilis, 40, has spent the last five seasons as a special assistant with the Cubs, watching draft prospects, evaluating minor-league hitters and communicating with major-league hitters. Youkilis spent nine of his 10 seasons as a seasoned hitter playing in the pressure-packed atmosphere of Boston. Youkilis and his brother Scott co-own and operate Loma Brewing Company in Los Gatos, Calif.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/spor...0190929-oy23f3ssczdvfj4cjjfrpgwhea-story.html

Reactions: LuteHawk
in 2019, the Cubs played terrible defense and had
poor base running. Yet, Maddon never held anyone
accountable. He wanted to be their friend and not
their manager.

Since Girardi has been brought up, I don’t think he gets any job unless he comes off of his $5 million per year asking price. That’s the same reason you won’t see Maddon go to KC.

Nobody is going to pay $5M for a manager who isn't in on the analytics train.

in 2019, the Cubs played terrible defense and had
poor base running. Yet, Maddon never held anyone
accountable. He wanted to be their friend and not
their manager.
My fear with David Ross is that he would be too much of a friend to the players.

Nobody is going to pay $5M for a manager who isn't in on the analytics train.
There has been a drastic downward swing in managerial pay. There are guys with lots of wins under their belt who are being paid $1.3 million a year. I've said this before, I think the era of the celebrity manager has passed. Analytical or not.

By Mark Gonzales
Chicago Tribune |
Sep 30, 2019 | 6:55 AM

Cubs have parted ways with Joe Maddon after five seasons and one World Series title.

Who are the most likely candidates to replace him? Here are seven names.

Carlos Beltran
ZAPMQKUDFBAI7F2Q667LY66QMM.jpg

Carlos Beltran answers questions from the media ahead of the World Series on Oct. 23, 2017. (Justin Heiman / Getty Images)
Beltran, 40, is a special adviser with the Yankees after a 20-year playing career that included nine All-Star selections and three Gold Glove awards. Beltran was asked to interview for the Yankees’ managerial position after 2017 despite recently retiring. Beltran has been hands-on in his current role, from writing scouting reports to watching video of players to mentoring young players.

Bruce Bochy
MB4QNVI2T5AGTICIWKRB6YG2LQ.jpg

Giants manager Bruce Bochy watches from the dugout during a game against the Braves on Sept. 20, 2019. (John Bazemore / AP)
Why not take a shot? Bochy, 64, ended a 13-year stint with the Giants highlighted by three World Series titles and a knack for handling young stars and veterans fairly. Bochy’s association with Cubs President Theo Epstein dates to 1998 with the Padres won the National League title — their last league pennant.

Joe Girardi
OKW6ZWNAZ5HF3PZZXKI4PJEKRE.jpg

Yankees manager Joe Girardi pauses during a news conference on Aug. 1, 2016. (The Associated Press)
Girardi, 54, a former Cubs player (1989-92, 2000-02), managed for 11 seasons with the Marlins (2006) and Yankees (2008-17). Girardi has provided keen analysis for the last two seasons for the MLB Network. He pulled out of consideration for the Reds’ job last winter that eventually went to David Bell. Girardi has committed to managing USA Baseball Premier12 team that will attempt to qualify for the 2020 Olympic Games in Tokyo.

Raul Ibanez
4C5XOTEVWRCZXM653PTXVRA4ZE.jpg

The Mariners' Raul Ibanez celebrates with teammates after his sixth-inning home run against the Tigers at Comerica Park on Sept. 17, 2013. (Julian H. Gonzalez / McClatchy-Tribune)
Ibanez, 47, was a finalist for the Rays’ managerial job after Joe Maddon’s departure to the Cubs after the 2014 season. That came shortly after his 19-year playing career ended. Ibanez signed with the Mariners as a 36th-round pick in 1992 and has a strong reputation for working with younger teammates. He also has served as a television analyst.

Mark Loretta
UFO5JEUBZNAUFB4TEJCDLDV454.jpg

Cubs shortstop Nico Hoerner talks with bench coach Mark Loretta before a game against the Padres on Sept. 9, 2019. (Gregory Bull/AP)
Before becoming the Cubs bench coach in 2019, Loretta, 48, spent the last nine seasons in the Padres front office as a special assistant. The Northwestern alumnus was highly respected as an infielder for parts of 15 seasons with the Brewers, Astros, Padres, Red Sox and Dodgers, compiling a .295 batting average. His front-office experience can’t be dismissed, as Craig Counsell spent three seasons as a special assistant before taking over as Brewers manager and leading them to consecutive playoff berths.

David Ross

WQSYBQ2IQNAR5PXAC4ORNBQRKI.jpg

David Ross was the talk of Wrigley Field during the final homestand. Could he be back next season - as the Cubs manager?
Former Cubs catcher David Ross visits with manager Joe Maddon before Game 2 of the 2017 National League Division Series. (Brian Cassella / TNS)

1 / 72

Ross, 42, spent the last two of his 15 major-league seasons with the Cubs, where he serves as a special assistant to baseball operations. He has been perceived as a potential major-league manager since his second stint as a player with the Red Sox (2013-14), and he’s familiar with the Cubs personnel in his third season as a member of the front office who is far removed from the clubhouse.

Kevin Youkilis
X7QE7BRFCVEHJFZ3FRYNXY7Z2Y.jpg

Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein, first baseman Kevin Youkilis and manager Terry Francona react to a reporter's question during a news conference at Fenway Park on Jan. 16, 2009. (JOSH REYNOLDS / Associated Press)
Youkilis, 40, has spent the last five seasons as a special assistant with the Cubs, watching draft prospects, evaluating minor-league hitters and communicating with major-league hitters. Youkilis spent nine of his 10 seasons as a seasoned hitter playing in the pressure-packed atmosphere of Boston. Youkilis and his brother Scott co-own and operate Loma Brewing Company in Los Gatos, Calif.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/spor...0190929-oy23f3ssczdvfj4cjjfrpgwhea-story.html
Beltran and Ibanez are intriguing candidates. I've seen Ibanez on TV, and he's a smart guy with an underrated career.
The question for them, and any candidate is can they handle the Chicago media and Cubs fans. Those are areas that Maddon excelled in being deft and nimble.

Reactions: cigaretteman
I think some team may flash a bunch of money at Rocco Baldelli of the Twins. As a Twins fan I hope he stays put.

There has been a drastic downward swing in managerial pay. There are guys with lots of wins under their belt who are being paid $1.3 million a year. I've said this before, I think the era of the celebrity manager has passed. Analytical or not.

I do agree with this. Look at the playoffs this year: Aaron Boone, Rocco Baldelli, Kevin Cash, Bob Melvin, AJ Hinch, Mike Schildt, Brian Snitker, Craig Counsell, Dave Martinez & Dave Roberts.

The 5 highest paid managers in 2019: 1. Bruce Bochy, 2. Joe Maddon, 3. Terry Francona, 4. Ned Yost, 5. Clint Hurdle. Only Francona will be back next year in his current gig (unless Cleveland decides to make a move).

Beltran and Ibanez are intriguing candidates. I've seen Ibanez on TV, and he's a smart guy with an underrated career.
The question for them, and any candidate is can they handle the Chicago media and Cubs fans. Those are areas that Maddon excelled in being deft and nimble.

I am hoping the Royals get either Beltran or Ibanez. Too former Royals. Cubs can have the other.

So, which one?
The one in 2015 it was actually -28. The one in 1985 said -28 on Don Denkinger's thermometer, but it was actually a balmy 72 degree day in everyone else's world....

When you judge a MLB team their entire history needs
to be viewed.

The NY Yankees have won 27 World Series
The St. Louis Cardinals have won 12* World Series
* '85 included...

The rest of the teams are all in single digits for WS wins.
FIFY Lute...

The Cubs’ managerial search could start to take a more definitive shape as soon as this week, when team president Theo Epstein said he expects to start the interview process for candidates to replace Joe Maddon.

That likely means at least an interview with bench coach Mark Loretta as Epstein acknowledged when asked about Loretta that “at least one member of our coaching staff” is on the early candidate list.

Epstein, who has exit meetings planned the coaches Tuesday, confirmed only one specific candidate – David Ross – in a process that many believe began months ago when Maddon was sent into the season without a contract extension.

He also sidestepped a question about whether another former Cubs catcher, Joe Girardi is on his list and said that “at least one” hopeful on his list is with a team in the playoffs.

“It might turn out that way,” Epstein said. “That depends how the team that’s in the playoffs will want to handle things.”

In other words, will the Cardinals make pitching coach Mike Maddux available to talk to the Cubs about managing? Maddux was a front-runner the first time Epstein hired a Cubs manager before taking himself out of the running for family reasons that no longer appear in play eight years later.

Astros bench coach Joe Espada, who has earned an industry-wide reputation in recent years as a potential manager, also could be in play (with the added benefit of bringing intel from a leading organizations).

Ross may yet prove to be the Cub manager-in-waiting that some speculate he is, but Epstein on Monday made a point to say: “His connection to the players on this team and especially his connection to the 2016 team are not necessarily assets that distinguish him – or are not necessarily things that are going to be important to us.”

That was part of a larger theme of the day during Epstein’s 81-minute session with media that stressed looking forward and “starting anew” in an effort to create the Cubs’ next championship window.

“Rossy is a very attractive candidate, and he’s going to be evaluated on the merits,” Epstein said, “for what he can bring to the table as a major-league manager, given his skills, given his experiences, given his worldview, given what he knows about winning, just like every other managerial candidate.

“We’re looking forward, we’re not looking backwards.”

Ross made a public pitch during Sunday’s “Baseball Tonight” broadcast on ESPN: “I think it’s one of the best jobs in baseball. I’ve got a lot of close ties with those guys. I think the interest would be there. I think my heart is drawn to that dugout a little bit.”

Ross, a special assistant in the Cubs’ front office, and Loretta appear to be the only in-house candidates on what Epstein called a “broad list.”

He was known a strong and vocal leader in the Cubs’ clubhouse during his two seasons with the club (2015-16), unafraid to get in teammates faces, calling out sloppiness and mental mistakes.

Epstein said his connection to that past “is not necessarily a detriment, either, as long as you trust the person to handle it the right way and trust the players to handle it the right way.”

Epstein didn’t offer a clear timeline for making the hire other than to say that “we’re full speed ahead” but haven’t asked permission to talk to any potential candidates from other teams.

“We’re not going to drag this out any longer than it needs to be, but we also want to be thorough,” he said.

Ross, Loretta and Maddux have no managerial experience – something Epstein’s track record suggests could be an issue. The two managers he hired with experience in his career, Terry Francona and Joe Maddon, both delivered championships. He fired both first-year managers he hired after a combined three seasons.

“Experience is always a factor. It’s not a determining factor, but it’s a significant factor,” Epstein said. “I always have a greater level of comfort hiring for roles in which the person’s done the role before, especially with a manager.

“But there are ways for that to be overcome, and a lot of different ways to get experience in this game. And beliefs, skills, personal attributes – those things can outweigh a lack of experience. But experience counts.”

https://chicago.suntimes.com/cubs/2...r-job-mark-loretta-mike-maddux-might-join-mix

Today, on Oct. 3, the New York Mets fired their manager
and became the 7th MLB team looking for a new manager.

Today, on Oct. 3, the New York Mets fired their manager
and became the 7th MLB team looking for a new manager.
I'm guessing the Phillies could also be looking soon. I think by adding Harper and NOT making the playoffs... the front office will be looking for a scapegoat.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT