ADVERTISEMENT

5 seed gives IA

Hawkeye2222

HR MVP
Dec 21, 2014
a better chance at 2 wins, which will help IA's chances at a higher seed, although that 7 seed lets IA get a shot at Kansas in the 2nd rnd.

It's better to not have to play than to have to play. Winning three in a row will always be easier than winning four in a row.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Beating Penn State or Nebraska does almost nothing for our resume -- although I do think beating PSU who would be near the RPI top 100 would help our resume slightly.

However, I think playing on Thursday would give us an advantage Friday because with tournament games like this it can take awhile to build a rythym if you haven't played yet. We'll be a little more comfortable with the court and overall surroundings. This is a small advantage, and it's assuming a win over PSU or Nebraska which isn't a given, but I think it could be a good thing to have the 5 seed instead of the 4.

When asked, Fran said that basically getting a double bye is absolutely huge.

So, i will take his lead and say that we were rather have that.

Interesting about games though QC, I think about a team like UNI.

They are done, might not play a game in 13 days now.

How long of a layoff is too long?

I like the 5 seed. Say they lose the 4 vs 5 seed game. Isn't 1-1 better than 0-1? Playing Wisconsin will help Iowa's rpi. That's what I like about being the 4th or 5th seed. Win that game and you get Wisconsin.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

The break is getting Purdue on Friday. I sure like our chances in a rematch right now assuming we get past the first game. I would not mind seeing Wisconsin again because I think we want to at least get a somewhat dry run against a big dance 2-seed caliber team while we are playing good ball. I love the winning streak of course but I am curious to see how they measure up to the top quality teams

Maryland is laying an egg. Minnesota is literally the third to last team I want to see in this tourney behind MSU and Wisconsin..

Originally posted by SotaHawk87:
Maryland is laying an egg. Minnesota is literally the third to last team I want to see in this tourney behind MSU and Wisconsin..
Yep I agree. Minny is just athletic enough to give Iowa fits. They are athletic and very physical which gave Iowa fits in Iowa City.

I'll take the 5 seed. I think hawks can beat the 12/13 winner and then beat Purdue on a neutral floor. The Semi-final game will get Dicey as it will be vs Wisky.

We'll get a chance to up our record to 23-10 before we face Wisconsin. We got the 5/12 game and then a rematch with Purdue if we can keep winning.

I'd say whatever will help our seeding, go for it.

The boys will have a big incentive if they get by the Bug Eaters/Cowardly Lions winner. Purdue got blind ass lucky at home and without White....couldn't imagine a more favorable possible match up.

But, we're still on a one game at a time meme.

A win over one of those two teams absolutely could help us in seeding. We are fighting with other teams in the 20-32 range for seeding. Some of those teams will lose their first game Of their tournament. Beating a bad team then losing to purude will be better than losing right away Like a couple of our competitors likely will do.

They're still going to have to actually play the 5 vs 12/13 game, right? It won't just be marked a W in the books? While the Hawks have been playing great of late, this is the same team that dropped back-to-back games to Minnesota and Northwestern less than a month ago.

Beating Nebraska (RPI 129) or Penn State (RPI 130) does zero to move the needle.

I would have much rather been playing rested on Friday against a Purdue team that had to run up and down the court on Thursday than the other way around.

Originally posted by icantfindausernamethatisntused:
Beating Penn State or Nebraska does almost nothing for our resume -- although I do think beating PSU who would be near the RPI top 100 would help our resume slightly.

However, I think playing on Thursday would give us an advantage Friday because with tournament games like this it can take awhile to build a rythym if you haven't played yet. We'll be a little more comfortable with the court and overall surroundings. This is a small advantage, and it's assuming a win over PSU or Nebraska which isn't a given, but I think it could be a good thing to have the 5 seed instead of the 4.

I agree..if we get the W Thursday I think it gives us a leg up Friday. It'll decrease the chances of a W Saturday though....fatigue will start to set in and Wiscy is a load anyway.

Except a "well-rested" Iowa team wouldn't have played Purdue on Friday. It would have been OSU. With a guard who is one of the best in the country and, when hot, can carry a team on its back.

I like the Iowa/Purdue match-up better. It stinks that it will take a win to face them but - if Iowa is truly worthy of a 6 or 7 seed - they have to be able to beat the likes of Nebraska or Penn State. Perhaps - just perhaps - that Thursday game allows for guys like Jok and Oglesby to get some of that "big game glare" over with and they may be better adjusted for a Friday afternoon match-up.

Originally posted by AuroraHawk:
Except a "well-rested" Iowa team wouldn't have played Purdue on Friday. It would have been OSU.
No. It would not have been OSU
tbrk-20150305-top.0.png

I really am not terribly worried about PSU or Nebraska on a neutral floor right now, especially when they are playing on Wednesday and have virtually no depth to speak of, so they might get worn down as the game goes on. We avoided Minnesota, Michigan St., Maryland and Ohio St., none of which I care to see again this year. I'm happy to get another shot at Purdue. Losing by 4 on the road when we had the lead late and without Aaron White, I sure like our chances in a re-match. They will play tough because of their bubble status though, but sometimes that can weigh a team down too.

The double bye would have been better. There is a lot of downside if we lose the first game, but not much upside. If we win, playing Purdue on a neutral court at full strength is a lot better than playing on their court without White. I am not sure if those two wins are enough to get Iowa to a six seed, but it should be close. Obviously, beating Wisconsin would be huge, but I think the Badgers are at a level much higher than the rest of the league.

Win vs PSU/Nebby won't move us up to a higher seed but a loss could make us drop down for sure. W vs one of them and Purdue good chance of getting the 6 seed depending on how teams ahead of Iowa fair in their own tourneys. Would much rather have the bye.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT