ADVERTISEMENT

5 star kids comments about NIL and recruiting

Interesting perspectives. Also the section about coaches is interesting

Interesting how many of the kids admit to trolling and saying things or posting that they might commit to a certain school when they k ow they will never go there. Several kids seemed to like the fact that they got more followers on social media every time they led on that they might go to a certain school.

Overall it made me really happy that I never have to participate in recruiting and I totally get why some coaches hate it.

Gradual player development is a thing of the past. I would like to see the schools with big money gradually be formed into a minor league for the NFL and let the NFL kick in some money as they have a golden free player pool now. Perhaps the other schools could go back to the old ways. Minor league baseball and the NBA's G league don't make much money. Maybe a pro-college conference would fall into the same trap as teams that find they cannot compete financially slowly dropout. I suppose TV ratings would tell the story.

Gradual player development is a thing of the past. I would like to see the schools with big money gradually be formed into a minor league for the NFL and let the NFL kick in some money as they have a golden free player pool now. Perhaps the other schools could go back to the old ways. Minor league baseball and the NBA's G league don't make much money. Maybe a pro-college conference would fall into the same trap as teams that find they cannot compete financially slowly dropout. I suppose TV ratings would tell the story.
I know that it won't happen now that the genie is out of the bottle, but I would love to just see schools pool television money and pay a better stipend as part of the scholarship offer. Like respectable $30-60k a year in stipend + their scholarship + training table etc. At that point, when you factor in out of state tuition at most state colleges, you're talking real middle class money for playing college ball. But we have crossed the Rubicon.

Surprised how many preferred to go with the school they wanted to go to rather than the money. At least it shows that loyalty to a school isn't completely dead. But this whole thing only reinforces my point that winning will go to the highest bidder. The only thing that college has over the NFL at this point is all the traditions.

I know that it won't happen now that the genie is out of the bottle, but I would love to just see schools pool television money and pay a better stipend as part of the scholarship offer. Like respectable $30-60k a year in stipend + their scholarship + training table etc. At that point, when you factor in out of state tuition at most state colleges, you're talking real middle class money for playing college ball. But we have crossed the Rubicon.
Pretty sure everyone on iowas team gets $38k swarm money. Plus $2,400 a money stipend plus weekly meal money, plus tuition room and board. Add in tutors expensive meals snacks and other perks
They are getting over $75k cash in money right now. Not including everything else: room board etc.
This is a ridiculous amount of money.

Just let the top players go straight to the NFL. They are wasting a scholarship, never going to graduate. We all know why they have to play one year in college.
Also, they get this NIL money and scholarship, contract states you play in the bowl game.

There is no more cheating in college sports - because THIS is the holy grail of cheating.

Any school - player - coach….that is currently being investigated by the NCAA - all that BS should be out the window.

Interesting how many of the kids admit to trolling and saying things or posting that they might commit to a certain school when they k ow they will never go there. Several kids seemed to like the fact that they got more followers on social media every time they led on that they might go to a certain school.
This is exactly why I don't believe anything they say until they sign the dotted line. Everyone is getting into a tizzy about this Ty Thompson visiting, but until he signs on, it's not even worth sweating over.

Pretty sure everyone on iowas team gets $38k swarm money. Plus $2,400 a money stipend plus weekly meal money, plus tuition room and board. Add in tutors expensive meals snacks and other perks
They are getting over $75k cash in money right now. Not including everything else: room board etc.
They might get $75k in total benefits, but not “$75k cash in money right now.”

Looks like they get about $40k…which is on par with a pretty cruddy full-time job. That doesn’t seem to align with their skillset. Any other “job” with that few qualified candidates pays MUCH more than that. Realistically, there are only a few thousand (if that) qualified people each year, in an industry that makes billions. If these were tech jobs, for example, they’d make many hundreds of thousands.

Curious, why did hugely paid coaches with offices in ivory towers and crazy contracts not push you to this point?
I see this posted a lot and most of the time it's just b/c the poster is trying to be cute and/or due to an overall lack of basic common sense.
How many D1 coaches got their jobs right out of high school? None. They've all grinded their way to where they are and proven worthy of the opportunity based on prior work as position coaches, assistants, recruiters etc...
I think the elite coaches are overpaid, but they've also earned to be paid a premium based on the work they put in and the revenue they help produce.
It sucks coaches can up and leave, but they also can be fired on a moments notice too.
Players absolutely deserve some revenue sharing, but what we have now is beyond ridiculous and unsustainable.
Figure out a way for the universities to determine a fair revenue sharing program on top of scholarships, and cap NIL asap.

So I really don't see any that are saying they had to go somewhere for a shot at the national title. It's basically $$$$$ and/or a coach that can help them get to the NFL.

Shocking none say they were going somewhere for the education!
I guess the system has rendered the national title as useless as the bowls then

the goal IS the nfl

Reactions: Hendy hawk
I was fully supportive of NIL, but I was to naive to think it was going to work this way. I thought the money would come from the schools and their huge media deals, jersey sales, camps, video game rights, etc. I thought it would be great for the Caitlin Clarks of the world who could get endorsements.

I didn't expect such an explicit pay for play arrangement where top players cost millions of dollars per year and where donors are asked to donate not just to the program but to the NIL collective.

This sucks.

When the O'Bannon case started the NCAA had an opportunity to create a system like this and avoid the Supreme Court ruling. They chose to keep cashing the checks and spouting 'student-athlete'. With the Supreme Court ruling placing no limits........ ugghhhh

Looks like they get about $40k…which is on par with a pretty cruddy full-time job. That doesn’t seem to align with their skillset. Any other “job” with that few qualified candidates pays MUCH more than that. Realistically, there are only a few thousand (if that) qualified people each year, in an industry that makes billions. If these were tech jobs, for example, they’d make many hundreds of thousands.
Or coaches millions.

There are 11,050 players in FBS on scholarship. It's not as elite as high tech jobs.

I was fully supportive of NIL, but I was to naive to think it was going to work this way. I thought the money would come from the schools and their huge media deals, jersey sales, camps, video game rights, etc. I thought it would be great for the Caitlin Clarks of the world who could get endorsements.

I didn't expect such an explicit pay for play arrangement where top players cost millions of dollars per year and where donors are asked to donate not just to the program but to the NIL collective.

This sucks.
let us say I went to school, and raced nascar on the weekends. and I got paid 4 mil to race. then went to school all week. this is how I pictured it working: totally free and clear from anything school related. when they tied it to recruiting and the schools, game over. it cannot go on and sustain itself at all- like this.

Reactions: Hendy hawk
Yeah we're in the Twilight Zone right now. Rhule has said that he'd prefer to recruit from HS and develop. It may put Nebraska behind the 8-ball, but I hope that he sticks to his guns. If there is an obvious take in the portal go for it, but filling up with kids who jump schools looking for better NIL is not the way to build a culture.

I see this posted a lot and most of the time it's just b/c the poster is trying to be cute and/or due to an overall lack of basic common sense.
How many D1 coaches got their jobs right out of high school? None. They've all grinded their way to where they are and proven worthy of the opportunity based on prior work as position coaches, assistants, recruiters etc...
I think the elite coaches are overpaid, but they've also earned to be paid a premium based on the work they put in and the revenue they help produce.
It sucks coaches can up and leave, but they also can be fired on a moments notice too.
Players absolutely deserve some revenue sharing, but what we have now is beyond ridiculous and unsustainable.
Figure out a way for the universities to determine a fair revenue sharing program on top of scholarships, and cap NIL asap.
Yes. They have put in the work. The comparison to a HS senior is dumb.

Yeah we're in the Twilight Zone right now. Rhule has said that he'd prefer to recruit from HS and develop. It may put Nebraska behind the 8-ball, but I hope that he sticks to his guns. If there is an obvious take in the portal go for it, but filling up with kids who jump schools looking for better NIL is not the way to build a culture.
You guys just bought a high school kid.

The market is the big public universities by a wide margin because they bring their fanbases, alumni, and states with them. The only way this gets under control is the president's of those universities taking real control and reminding the athletic departments that they are actually the property of the university. That includes the student athletes and their name image and likeness. The accounting games in these big programs needs to stop as do the immense generational wealth types of contracts for coaches. Any NIL deal by an athletes needs to be run through the university and the university needs to take a piece of it. The platform provided is why NIL deals matter. The revenue for everything needs to be audited and caps need to be put in place with surplus revenue going to the actual core mission of the universities. Defray the cost of attendance for students.

8 million for a freshman quarterback at Tennessee is ludicrous. 7 million for Kirk Ferentz is also ridiculous. We gave been conditioned for years to think this is normal and acceptable and it truly isn't.

Contracts need to be in place for coaches and athletes alike that keep the university and its mission at the front.

If the NFL wants to start a developmental league they can but that should not be the objective of universities

Reactions: intrepodor
Did it you?
To a degree. But this doesn't change it. I am more bothered by the body of all the issues that KF has had under his tenure without a lot of cost to him. This is common amongst coaches. What is different is how long he has kept going.

You guys just bought a high school kid.
There is one in every crowd. Raiola is going to Nebraska because of his dad and his uncle. The only reason that OSU & Georgia got a look is because of Scott Frost being a douche of a head coach. It took a lot of work, way beyond NIL, to get him to commit. And he's coming out of HS, which is what Rhule has said he'd prefer over paying transfers. You are why talking to Iowa fans can get tiresome lol.

Just let the top players go straight to the NFL. They are wasting a scholarship, never going to graduate. We all know why they have to play one year in college.
Also, they get this NIL money and scholarship, contract states you play in the bowl game.
The NFL doesn't want or need kids out of high school, unlike the NBA........

There is one in every crowd. Raiola is going to Nebraska because of his dad and his uncle. The only reason that OSU & Georgia got a look is because of Scott Frost being a douche of a head coach. It took a lot of work, way beyond NIL, to get him to commit. And he's coming out of HS, which is what Rhule has said he'd prefer over paying transfers. You are why talking to Iowa fans can get tiresome lol.
Uncle gets a big bag, recruit gets a big bag. Waaaay different than paying a transfer.

Hey hey hey.......hey........hey.............look right here.............................

Iowa > Nebraska

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT