ADVERTISEMENT

8 Pitt players ask to be released after their Head Coach is fired; if you were AD, what would u do?

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
After Pitt fired head coach Kevin Stalings, eight Pitt players asked to be released from the school and ESPN's Jay Bilas agrees these players should be allowed to leave.

I think so, too, even though it will leave a real mess for the next Pitt coach to deal with. But if they don't want to be there....

What do you think? The coaching carousel can be a mess! Good thing we have Fran locked in for 6 more years! ;)

The video discussion: www.espn.com/video/clip?id=22794027

After Pitt fired head coach Kevin Stalings, eight Pitt players asked to be released from the school and ESPN's Jay Bilas agrees these players should be allowed to leave.

I think so, too, even though it will leave a real mess for the next Pitt coach to deal with. But if they don't want to be there....

What do you think? The coaching carousel can be a mess! Good thing we have Fran locked in for 6 more years! ;)

Maybe Pitt will come after Fran after all. With that storm, no way they attract a top tier coach. Fran however, excels at building up a program from the rebels.

Reactions: mtdew_fever
Missouri Valley conference Bradley had a similar situation a few years ago when they had a head coaching change. They pretty much brought in 8 freshman that first year and were terrible, but in year 3 they are much improved and were competitive.

You wait till you hire your coach, after the new coach talks with players if they still want to leave you let them leave.
yeah, i think there needs to be a meeting with the AD and players where there is a cooling off period. Get the head coach hired asap and then get the new HC into meetings with the players. Then if the players still want to leave, they can. But the AD needs to move quickly, imo, to be fair to the players. This thing can't be dragged out.

P.S. Any athletic PG's on Pitt? ;)

Here's the relevant passage from the article:

"It's just dumb things on top of dumb things.

My favorite example from the past year is Iowa athletic director Gary Barta allowing Fran McCaffery to sign a two-year extension last November that more than doubled McCaffery's buyout. Why in the world would he do that? McCaffery was coming off an NIT appearance and just starting another bad season. He had no leverage whatsoever. He had no comparable job offers or options. So all that totally unnecessary extension did is provide McCaffery with a questionable raise and increase his buyout from $4.6 million to $10.2 million -- meaning if Iowa wanted to fire McCaffery right now, after finishing 4-14 in the Big Ten, it would owe him $5.6 million more than it would've owed him before that stupid extension was signed."

That's not very flattering.

And, he's exactly right.

Reactions: Kurt Warner
They went winless in the ACC this year, Stallings was always a dubious hire to those Panther fans.

If those eight want to leave then they should either stand strong and make them honor their commitment, which may end very badly if they really hate it there. If they release them, it might be better all around. After all they were terrible this year.

9 current roster players have now been granted their release. Two 2018 commits have also asked for their release. The new coach will have a lot of work to do and I would imagine he would want a huge buy out because they gave Kevin Stallings just 2 years before firing him.

From ESPN.com:

Pittsburgh's leading scorer, Jared Wilson-Frame, has joined eight other teammates in receiving his release to explore a transfer.

"I am still considering coming back to finish my senior season at Pitt, but I want to weigh out all options of what's best for myself in the near future," Wilson-Frame told ESPN shortly after receiving his release on Saturday.

Wilson-Frame, who averaged 13 points this past season, joined eight other players who already received their releases: senior Ryan Luther, junior Malik Ellison, sophomore Kene Chukwuka and freshmen Parker Stewart, Marcus Carr, Khameron Davis, Terrell Brown and Shamiel Stevenson.

That leaves just two returnees, freshmen Peace Ilegomah and Samson George. They combined to score a total of 27 points this past season.

Luther is expected to receive an additional year due to a medical redshirt, while Ellison's case is unclear given that he sat out this past season after transferring from St. John's.

Two signees have also asked for their releases: high school forward Bryce Golden and junior college guard Danya Kingsby.

Pittsburgh fired Kevin Stallings on March 8 after he went 24-41 in his two seasons at the school. The Panthers were 8-24 this past season and 0-18 in ACC play.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...ittsburgh-panthers-top-scorer-granted-release

Reactions: iamia

My favorite example from the past year is Iowa athletic director Gary Barta allowing Fran McCaffery to sign a two-year extension last November that more than doubled McCaffery's buyout. Why in the world would he do that? McCaffery was coming off an NIT appearance and just starting another bad season. He had no leverage whatsoever. He had no comparable job offers or options. So all that totally unnecessary extension did is provide McCaffery with a questionable raise and increase his buyout from $4.6 million to $10.2 million -- meaning if Iowa wanted to fire McCaffery right now, after finishing 4-14 in the Big Ten, it would owe him $5.6 million more than it would've owed him before that stupid extension was signed."

And, he's exactly right.

You could pull someone off the street and they would do a better job than Barta at being a negotiator. Guy has done some inexcusable things the last few years. But hey, he knows he's safe because the ones in charge in iowa city are too chicken s*** to do anything about it and he knows it.

And, he's exactly right.

Your ability to predict how this season would play out must have made you a ton of money.

Reactions: Bravehawk56
You could pull someone off the street and they would do a better job than Barta at being a negotiator. Guy has done some inexcusable things the last few years. But hey, he knows he's safe because the ones in charge in iowa city are too chicken s*** to do anything about it and he knows it.

Yes, Barta the awful negotiator who has paid a whopping one small buyout and upgraded several other coaches.

Get a new coach , find some jucos and a good frosh or transfer.

With the new rules they are planning to be in effect for next season, these guys could be eligible next year. Is that correct??

i am not sure about timing of any potential rules changes

I remember hearing Barta talk about it. But I cannot remember the details of it... Something about needing to be in good standing academically. And I believe that there had to be an issue with the school (eg. a coach getting fired).

GB is part of the group writing the rules. He also said that they should be in place by next season. But it would be just before school starts before it could be implemented. Assuming they could come to an agreement.

I like the idea of needing to have the grades up.. Most of the transfer athletes do Not graduate. I can't recall the number but I want to say it was less than half of those that stay... Schools pay a fortune for these guys to be on scholarship (most 300+ schools lose money ) with the tuition, trainers, Room and board, food at anytime of the day, medical, tutors, etc, etc. So, it is a good thing to try to get these kids to graduate.

Reactions: Franisdaman
I remember hearing Barta talk about it. But I cannot remember the details of it... Something about needing to be in good standing academically. And I believe that there had to be an issue with the school (eg. a coach getting fired).

GB is part of the group writing the rules. He also said that they should be in place by next season. But it would be just before school starts before it could be implemented. Assuming they could come to an agreement.

I like the idea of needing to have the grades up.. Most of the transfer athletes do Not graduate. I can't recall the number but I want to say it was less than half of those that stay... Schools pay a fortune for these guys to be on scholarship (most 300+ schools lose money ) with the tuition, trainers, Room and board, food at anytime of the day, medical, tutors, etc, etc. So, it is a good thing to try to get these kids to graduate.
will be interesting to see if they all end up leaving; it will depend on who gets hired, of course

Why is fran locked up a good thing? You understand that means more of the same players...right?

First, I wouldn’t have fired a coach after two years. Second, I would let any/all of the players leave. It’s going to be tough to find a proven coach to come into this situation. You’ll probably have to overpay or give more years on the initial contract than you want or the AD will have to do both. Honestly, if the team didn’t win a game, sounds like the roster could get an infusion of new talent.

And, he's exactly right.

Dixon's body of work was better than McCaffery with 11/13 seasons in NCAA and Dixon doesn't get extension. Barta gives Fran extension after team gets blown out in Cayman islands.

Reactions: SDHawkDoc
Dixon's body of work was better than McCaffery with 11/13 seasons in NCAA and Dixon doesn't get extension. Barta gives Fran extension after team gets blown out in Cayman islands.
The extension was done before then, you know that right? Not that it will make people feel better, but we all had warm fuzzies about this season before it began, and where Fran was taking us. The large buyout's seem to be the new way of doing contracts anymore. Looking around in just the big ten, the buyouts are as follows: Miller 20 Mil, Holtmann 19.5 mil, Turgeon 15.6 mil, Underwood 15.5 mil, Painter 12.4 mil, Fran 10.2 mil, Pikiell 9.6 mil, Izzo 5.2 Mil, Bielien 5 Mil, Pitino 4 Mil, Miles 2.5, Gard 2.5. Collins and Chambers not listed. Then if you look at actual Salary, Fran is 10th.

The extension was done before then, you know that right? Not that it will make people feel better, but we all had warm fuzzies about this season before it began, and where Fran was taking us. The large buyout's seem to be the new way of doing contracts anymore. Looking around in just the big ten, the buyouts are as follows: Miller 20 Mil, Holtmann 19.5 mil, Turgeon 15.6 mil, Underwood 15.5 mil, Painter 12.4 mil, Fran 10.2 mil, Pikiell 9.6 mil, Izzo 5.2 Mil, Bielien 5 Mil, Pitino 4 Mil, Miles 2.5, Gard 2.5. Collins and Chambers not listed. Then if you look at actual Salary, Fran is 10th.
interesting thanks for finding those numbers. Izzo's buyout seems low.

Can someone please clarify the "release" rules? A player obviously doesn't need permission to leave, so does it have an impact on his opportunity to get a scholly at the next school? Has to sit a year anyway, right? Or, is it two if you're not "released"?

I'm asking about current players, not incoming freshman that haven't enrolled yet.

interesting thanks for finding those numbers. Izzo's buyout seems low.
No problem, I was pretty surprised to see some of those buyouts compared to Fran's, as I thought Fran's was large. Must be the new way for coaches to negotiate contracts nowadays, guaranteed money if they get fired. Izzo is paid 2 Mil more than Fran per year, very much a bargain compared to all other coaches.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT