ADVERTISEMENT

A few thoughts after the last two games

perryhawk

HR Legend
Apr 3, 2008
Perry, Iowa
First off our defense, in the first half, in this Illinois game looked to be the best it’s been the whole year. I know some will say that Illinois is not good. Well, they’ve played several teams very tough. I saw somewhere that they had led in the second half in 11 of 17 losses this year. And they got after it tonight. They brought tremendous energy that we matched.

Our second half defense wasn’t as good...,but in spite of the regular runs they made at us our guys didn’t cave in like they have so many times this year. That’s progress.....very late, but it’s progress.

I’m not sure why but it took me a while to be a believer in Garza as a freshman. I thought he would be good but probably have a year like Nunge. Wow, I love this kids game and his attitude. He alone gives hope for the future. He just is gonna go after it and has tremendous confidence in his own abilities.

The Northwestern win was a nice win....I know Law was out but I do think the loss of our two backup point guards is a big deal.

If we had played this type of defense and played with the effort these guys brought for the entire game they have the last two games, how many more wins would we have?

Tonight’s Illinois game was a significant test...very physical defense, horrible officiating, neutral court, nothing to really play for, and an opponent that kept the pressure on........I like the result. I like what I saw.

That said, I have watched Michigan a couple times recently and they are playing really well. I don’t think we win the game unless we catch some breaks. If by chance we do win I like the matchup with Nebraska.

Last edited:
Hawks have played well over the past few years against UM. Beilein teams don't play as physical as the teams that tend to give the Hawks the most trouble. Not predicting a win, but I think this will be a competitive game. I agree that the Hawks will have an even better chance against Nebbie, if they can upset UM. Sitting and watching for a couple of days isn't always that helpful.

Michigan shoots the 3 ball as well as anyone in the league. If they are on tomorrow it could be a long day for Iowa. The Hawkeyes have played Michigan pretty tough over the last few years (Not earlier this year) maybe we can come up with a stunner.

Hawks have played well over the past few years against UM. Beilein teams don't play as physical as the teams that tend to give the Hawks the most trouble. Not predicting a win, but I think this will be a competitive game. I agree that the Hawks will have an even better chance against Nebbie, if they can upset UM. Sitting and watching for a couple of days isn't always that helpful.

Unfortunately this years Beilein teams strength is Iowas biggest weakness.

UM will get a ton of wide ppen 3s, if they miss Iowa has a chance.

Michigan doesn’t have anybody who can bang with Cook/Garza though. As long as we don’t absolutely suck from three and keep Michigan’s defense honest, those two should have decent games

Michigan doesn’t have anybody who can bang with Cook/Garza though. As long as we don’t absolutely suck from three and keep Michigan’s defense honest, those two should have decent games

They'll have decent games on offense, as they have most of the season. Just not decent enough to get away with terrible defense.

If UM misses a large percentage of their 20+ wide open 3s then Iowa has a chance.

Forgive me but Beilein is my favorite Big10 coach and he has a way of just putting teams together. Michigan will need to shoot under 30 percent from three and they have a unique offense that will stress the Hawks plus a defense that's disciplined. We'll need JBo lights out, Cook angry at the rim and Garza hitting 15 footers with a 3 or two thrown in there. Everyone else will need to play great defense on top of the three listed plus double digits from Moss/Dailey to have a chance.

Reactions: Bulldogs1974
If Iowa has something left in the tank after a VERY physical IL game, they’ve got a shot. IL shot 46% from 3 and still lost. It was the turnovers that almost did them in that Iowa has to control vs MI.

They'll have decent games on offense, as they have most of the season. Just not decent enough to get away with terrible defense.

If UM misses a large percentage of their 20+ wide open 3s then Iowa has a chance.
You’re probably right. I’m not really expecting a win, but still glad that the team gets another game of experience in the Big Ten tournament. Hopefully it’s a good one

Reactions: RocknRollface

Interesting facts--- the Illini were the 2nd worst 3pt shooting team in B1G conference play at 31.7%. Iowa was the worst 3pt shooting defensive team allowing 42.9% 3pt shooting in conference play.

Not only does Iowa do a poor job of guarding the 3pt line, Iowa also has a tendency to disregard the other team's hot hand....so we have guys like Ronnie Johnson of Indian or Scottie Lindsey setting career records against us for 3pt makes.

Next year, Fran needs to address the 3pt shooting defense......I read there was a NIT rules change evaluation to move back the 3pt line? That would be a big help to Fran-Ball.

Interesting facts--- the Illini were the 2nd worst 3pt shooting team in B1G conference play at 31.7%. Iowa was the worst 3pt shooting defensive team allowing 42.9% 3pt shooting in conference play.

Not only does Iowa do a poor job of guarding the 3pt line, Iowa also has a tendency to disregard the other team's hot hand....so we have guys like Ronnie Johnson of Indian or Scottie Lindsey setting career records against us for 3pt makes.

Next year, Fran needs to address the 3pt shooting defense......I read there was a NIT rules change evaluation to move back the 3pt line? That would be a big help to Fran-Ball.
I think moving the line back will actually hurt his teams as it creates more space to cover. Todays players have the range for a new line. It should have been moved back years ago.

Iowa needs to stop trying to double team the ball and stay with their man. If we don't, Michigan will have open looks all day.
Good point, I noticed that too and seems to be what Fran wants them to do. Could be a long day if they make them like they have been. Here's to Iowa upsetting them and moving on to betty!

Forgive me but Beilein is my favorite Big10 coach and he has a way of just putting teams together. Michigan will need to shoot under 30 percent from three and they have a unique offense that will stress the Hawks plus a defense that's disciplined. We'll need JBo lights out, Cook angry at the rim and Garza hitting 15 footers with a 3 or two thrown in there. Everyone else will need to play great defense on top of the three listed plus double digits from Moss/Dailey to have a chance.
Really?! Fav Coach and he puts team together? When's the last time they were this good? 10 years a ago?

Really?! Fav Coach and he puts team together? When's the last time they were this good? 10 years a ago?

Knowing who I'm talking about would help..Elite 8, Sweet 16 and NIT champions at WV in '05, '06 and '07. At Michigan as recently as '13 NCAA runner up, Elite 8 in '14 and Sweet 16 last year. Sprinkle in other tourney appearances and victories and yes he's had recent success. He's in the Tom Davis mold with slightly better results, I'd take him coaching any team I'm rooting for and he seems like a heck of a nice guy. The Fab Five era has been over for decades so I'm not sure if you've skipped a few years.

Reactions: Fan In Black

Iowa does have an awful 3-pt defense. We don't have the quickness to rotate or discipline to stay with shooters. The interior defense isn't a lot better, and doubling down often results in wide open looks from 3 with one or two passes. Most better teams have a guy who is assigned to take away the other team's best perimeter offensive threat, but Iowa doesn't have that guy (or a good on-ball defender, or a rim protector). Baer can play that roll against some 4s, but he has to play the 3 with the make-up of the team. Here's to a 5 for 25 from 3 by UM today!

Are goal today should be making Moe Wagner beat us, if he's the only show, we have a hell of a chance.

First off our defense, in the first half, in this Illinois game looked to be the best it’s been the whole year. I know some will say that Illinois is not good. Well, they’ve played several teams very tough. I saw somewhere that they had led in the second half in 11 of 17 losses this year. And they got after it tonight. They brought tremendous energy that we matched.

Our second half defense wasn’t as good...,but in spite of the regular runs they made at us our guys didn’t cave in like they have so many times this year. That’s progress.....very late, but it’s progress.

I’m not sure why but it took me a while to be a believer in Garza as a freshman. I thought he would be good but probably have a year like Nunge. Wow, I love this kids game and his attitude. He alone gives hope for the future. He just is gonna go after it and has tremendous confidence in his own abilities.

The Northwestern win was a nice win....I know Law was out but I do think the loss of our two backup point guards is a big deal.

If we had played this type of defense and played with the effort these guys brought for the entire game they have the last two games, how many more wins would we have?

Tonight’s Illinois game was a significant test...very physical defense, horrible officiating, neutral court, nothing to really play for, and an opponent that kept the pressure on........I like the result. I like what I saw.

That said, I have watched Michigan a couple times recently and they are playing really well. I don’t think we win the game unless we catch some breaks. If by chance we do win I like the matchup with Nebraska.

Love the optimism Perry but the defense isn't really getting any better. Iowa's offense has been elite level the last few weeks, up to 19th in the country now on an efficiency basis according to Pomeroy. On the year, Illinois is 94th in the country in offensive efficiency at 110 points per 100 possessions. They got 117 points per 100 possessions against Iowa. Iowa gave up 56 points in the second half. Yes, extra possessions were created by Ilinois fouling but the second half featured more of what we've seen, dunks and layups at the rim and wide-open 3's. This type of defense doesn't win Iowa any more games. The wins have all come in conference against bad teams.

Garza has a very good future. He is limited athletically, but the guy will compete and won't back down. That, along with his skill set, make him good on offense now. Hopefully some improvements in strength and stamina allow him to become a plus defender in time.

We'll find out if there's any defensive improvement today against Michigan. Iowa is facing a complete team, that can carve you up if the defense isn't good.

Love the optimism Perry but the defense isn't really getting any better. Iowa's offense has been elite level the last few weeks, up to 19th in the country now on an efficiency basis according to Pomeroy. On the year, Illinois is 94th in the country in offensive efficiency at 110 points per 100 possessions. They got 117 points per 100 possessions against Iowa. Iowa gave up 56 points in the second half. Yes, extra possessions were created by Ilinois fouling but the second half featured more of what we've seen, dunks and layups at the rim and wide-open 3's. This type of defense doesn't win Iowa any more games. The wins have all come in conference against bad teams.

Garza has a very good future. He is limited athletically, but the guy will compete and won't back down. That, along with his skill set, make him good on offense now. Hopefully some improvements in strength and stamina allow him to become a plus defender in time.

We'll find out if there's any defensive improvement today against Michigan. Iowa is facing a complete team, that can carve you up if the defense isn't good.

I don't disagree with anything you are saying......I would just point to, specifically, the first half of the first half. At that time the defense was executed the way it should be and the effort was outstanding....Illinois had 8 points at the 10 minute mark, if I recall correctly? That stretch was something I haven't seen all year and I will cling to that as hope for next year!

Last edited:
I don't disagree with anything you are saying......I would just point to, specifically, the first half or the first half. At that time the defense was executed the way it should be and the effort was outstanding....Illinois had 8 points at the 10 minute mark, if I recall correctly? That stretch was something I haven't seen all year and I will cling to that as hope for next year!

Agreed. It was similar to most of the first half against Northwestern, when the results were good defensively. Second half Northwestern shot 48% overall, made 9-15 3-pointers and turned it over just 3 times. Seems as if whenever the opponent gets used to what Iowa is trying to do defensively, the floodgates open and don't stop. Just hope this afternoon that Iowa can get the game close in the second half and see what happens.

Moss went 1fer again last night, something he has done seven times this season. If we're gonna beat Michigan, we need him to be more of a threat and take some heat off of Bohannon.

Reactions: CanadaHawk
#1 key to the game-- stop their outside and three point shooting. If they hit their threes, we are dogmeat.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT