ADVERTISEMENT

A History of Holiday Inn

JRHawk2003

HR King
Jul 9, 2003
The history of Holiday Inn begins in 1952 when Kemmons Wilson, a businessman from Memphis, Tennessee, embarked on a family road trip and encountered the frustrations of inconsistent and often subpar lodging options along the way. Determined to create a better experience for travelers, Wilson envisioned a chain of standardized, high-quality roadside hotels that would offer consistent amenities and services across locations. This vision led to the founding of Holiday Inn, which would revolutionize the hospitality industry and set new standards for affordable lodging.

The first Holiday Inn opened its doors on August 1, 1952, in Memphis, Tennessee, featuring 120 rooms and a range of amenities such as air conditioning, free parking, on-site restaurants, and swimming pools. Wilson's commitment to consistency and customer satisfaction quickly paid off, as Holiday Inn gained popularity among travelers seeking reliable and comfortable accommodations at affordable prices. The success of the first location prompted rapid expansion, with new Holiday Inn hotels opening across the United States in the following years.

One of the key innovations introduced by Holiday Inn was its iconic Great Sign, a towering beacon that became a symbol of hospitality and welcome for weary travelers. The Great Sign, with its distinctive green and yellow colors and bold lettering, signaled the presence of a Holiday Inn hotel from miles away, providing a sense of reassurance and reliability to travelers on the road. Additionally, Holiday Inn's commitment to quality and consistency extended to its services and amenities, which included standardized room layouts, complimentary toiletries, and attentive customer service.

Throughout the 1960s and 1970s, Holiday Inn continued to expand its footprint both domestically and internationally, becoming one of the largest and most recognizable hotel chains in the world. Its success was fueled in part by strategic partnerships and innovative marketing initiatives, including the introduction of the Holidex computerized reservation system, which revolutionized hotel booking and management. Holiday Inn also played a significant role in advancing the concept of franchising in the hospitality industry, allowing entrepreneurs to own and operate their own Holiday Inn hotels under the brand's established standards and guidelines.

In the decades that followed, Holiday Inn underwent several ownership changes and rebranding efforts as it adapted to changing consumer preferences and market dynamics. However, its legacy as a pioneer in the hospitality industry and a symbol of reliable, affordable lodging remained intact. Today, Holiday Inn is part of the InterContinental Hotels Group (IHG), one of the largest hotel companies in the world, with thousands of locations spanning the globe. While the brand has evolved and diversified over the years, its commitment to providing guests with a comfortable, consistent, and welcoming experience remains as strong as ever, ensuring that the legacy of Holiday Inn continues to thrive in the modern era of travel.

Reactions: NewVicHawkeye
waynes world thumbs up GIF

Bring back Holidomes.
I honestly wonder why that, or something similar, isn't much of a thing anymore. There's no longer an in-between, it's either just a pool or a complete indoor water park. The quad cities one was like a second home when I was a kid. My dad worked at Deere so we got to stay there a lot if he had to go to corporate for something, it was the contracted hotel for the that. That whole place was a playground and we'd wander around and even play hide and seek in the hotel.

It's torn down now. But in it's interim it was a crack house motel bought by some budget chain. The reviews during that time were AWESOME. Unbelievable we'd wander around there completely unsupervised as kids.

Reactions: Moral
I honestly wonder why that, or something similar, isn't much of a thing anymore. There's no longer an in-between, it's either just a pool or a complete indoor water park. The quad cities one was like a second home when I was a kid. My dad worked at Deere so we got to stay there a lot if he had to go to corporate for something, it was the contracted hotel for the that. That whole place was a playground and we'd wander around and even play hide and seek in the hotel.

It's torn down now. But in it's interim it was a crack house motel bought by some budget chain. The reviews during that time were AWESOME. Unbelievable we'd wander around there completely unsupervised as kids.

I want to know who Jarvis J is:

Jarvis J wrote a review Feb 2016
Atlanta, Georgia17 contributions22 helpful votes

Nice Rooms!!!
This was a great hotel! It was perfect! Hotel was very clean and updated, the lobby was great. Check in was super quick. The room was clean, nice and the beds were super comfortable. Extremely quiet despite being in a busy area. My first time in Davenport, when I return this will definitely be my hotel of choice.

After Sam Phillips, owner of Sun Records in Memphis, sold the rights to Elvis for $35,000 he invested it in Holiday Inn.

Reactions: Moral
The history of Holiday Inn traces back to a single vision for standardized, high-quality roadside hotels, revolutionizing the hospitality industry with its consistent amenities, iconic Great Sign, and pioneering franchising model, ultimately becoming part of the InterContinental Hotels Group and maintaining its commitment to comfort and consistency across thousands of locations worldwide. Thanks for sharing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT