ADVERTISEMENT

A little controversy at the Iowa State track championships on Saturday...

MitchLL

HR Legend
Dec 26, 2018
Hopefully, someone can help me out and find the video, but the 4A 800 finals had a DQ when one runner shoved a competitor... who then fell on the track and was run over by other runners.

I was there and it happened on the backstretch of the first lap. Crowd absolutely booed the guilty runner from IC City High as he passed the area on the 2nd lap.

The officials allowed the kid that fell to "rerun" his 800, by himself, and he ended up with the 3rd best time in the event.

Crazy shit that I've never seen before.

Here is the video. It seems Dowling kid initiated the original contact and the City kid took it to a whole new level. Tough situation and not sure the state made the correct decision but it’s done now. Hopefully it never happens again.

Did it affect the overall team scores a lot?
No, Dowling was 1st overall with nearly 30 points separating City High, who finished 2nd.

Even without the 6 points Dowling received from the re-run and City losing a spot (one point) by their other runner in the 800 ending 7th instead of 6th.

Only net 7 point difference and final points Dowling 93, City 63.5.

No idea where my wife read it but she was reading something about the Dowling kid having a known history of pulling stunts like this.

guessing Twitter.

track getting spicy.

The Dowling kid went on the dominate the 1600 and win by a lot. I think he would have had a decent shot of wining that 800 too, if he’d finished with the rest of the racers and not had to run on his own. I don’t know what advantage he would have gotten by purposefully nudging the city high runner. My guess is it was incidental initial contact.

I’d have probably DQd the city high kid and left the rest of the results as they were, no rerun. But I’ve never heard a stadium boo someone as much as when that city high kid came around the 2nd lap.

Dowling kid pulled the same crap in the mile and cut off a bunch of other runners. Nobody in our section cheered for him when he won the mile and he shouldn't have been awarded a rerun.

Looks to me like the City High kid deserved to get DQ'd and the Dowling kid deserved what he got from the City High kid.
Yeah, the more I see this the more I think both runners should have been DQ'd. You can't cut people off like that, from my understanding at least.

Yeah, the more I see this the more I think both runners should have been DQ'd. You can't cut people off like that, from my understanding at least.
Anything goes until you get caught.

As I said earlier, it's like a basketball game...the second guy gets the foul.

But there's no doubt in my mind that the decision to allow a rerun was based on the high school involved.

And there was a huge advantage on time because running alone allowed him to avoid the jostling that occurs in a "waterfall" start and potential bottleneck for the first half of the lead lap.

Last edited:
dowling kid is Zola Budd.

Looks like he elbows the city high kid several times and is trying to cut him off and threatening to trip him, so it doesn’t matter that the crowd boos the city high kid after he tries to assert his right to his line. They are at a distance and mostly only saw the city kids understandable but rule-violating reaction. But the darling kid had already violated the rules about half a dozen times before the city high kid reacted, and apparently the city kid should also go out for football.

At minimum, both should be disqualified. Absolute travesty that only one of them was. It sends such a horrible message to athletes: cheat as much as you can get away with.

Reactions: SB_SB and MitchLL
No, Dowling was 1st overall with nearly 30 points separating City High, who finished 2nd.

Even without the 6 points Dowling received from the re-run and City losing a spot (one point) by their other runner in the 800 ending 7th instead of 6th.

Only net 7 point difference and final points Dowling 93, City 63.5.
93 points in 4A is solid.

But there's no doubt in my mind that the decision to allow a rerun was based on the high school involved.

And there was a huge advantage on time because running alone allowed him to avoid the jostling that occurs in a "waterfall" start and potential bottleneck for the first half of the lead lap.

This is the second time you've asserted, without providing evidence, that Dowling was given special treatment because they are a parochial school.

Please provide evidence. Be specific.

This is the second time you've asserted, without providing evidence, that Dowling was given special treatment because they are a parochial school.

Please provide evidence. Be specific.
You think the IHSAA is going to admit or publicize their reasoning?

In normal situations of a DQ...everyone just moves up a spot and the guy that falls or is interfered with is SOL.

In normal situations of a DQ...everyone just moves up a spot and the guy that falls or is interfered with is SOL.

I'm asking you to provide evidence that they allowed this because a parochial school was involved. You've made the claim. Now provide evidence.

Reactions: HawkPT

This was not a normal dq.
i’ve seen other runners able to run alone after being intentionally interfered with - either knocked down or into another lane.

I've seen way worse than either of those not get DQ'd. An 800 is a bit different because of the distance and # of runners, but bumping happens a lot in distance and XC races, both at the start and in any packs throughout the race.

I mean, technically, the City High kid deserved a DQ, but it wasn't the full on shove I've others do.

Reactions: Jerome Silberman

Being shoved from behind while running full speed is now “interfered with”. Seems legit.

Hopefully, someone can help me out and find the video, but the 4A 800 finals had a DQ when one runner shoved a competitor... who then fell on the track and was run over by other runners.

I was there and it happened on the backstretch of the first lap. Crowd absolutely booed the guilty runner from IC City High as he passed the area on the 2nd lap.

The officials allowed the kid that fell to "rerun" his 800, by himself, and he ended up with the 3rd best time in the event.

Crazy shit that I've never seen before.
Dude that ended up on the track shoulder checked the kid on red. Looked like karma to me.

I don't know anything about the politics involved, but I still think they should have been DQ'd. Aside from one runner not getting the 3rd place they earned, at least it doesn't sound like this had any other impacts on the meet as a whole though.

But should they have disqualified the City Hi kid from running the rest of his races? Register story says they did.

The Dowling kid went on the dominate the 1600 and win by a lot. I think he would have had a decent shot of wining that 800 too, if he’d finished with the rest of the racers and not had to run on his own. I don’t know what advantage he would have gotten by purposefully nudging the city high runner. My guess is it was incidental initial contact.

I’d have probably DQd the city high kid and left the rest of the results as they were, no rerun. But I’ve never heard a stadium boo someone as much as when that city high kid came around the 2nd lap.
The Dowling kid should not have got a rerun. He caused the whole incident. Can't say I'm surprised.

I suspected this was intentional on the part of Heidisch from Dowling, he has a history of doing it more than once in the past. They should have both been given the DQ for that race and be done with it. Instead the officials DQ Smith only, remove his points for the 800, rule that he cannot participate in any more events and is also banished from the stadium. They are also considering removing all of the points in any event he participated in during the state meet. Heidouche got a rerun and no penalty.

Sure, that seems fair and equitable.

I suspected this was intentional on the part of Heidisch from Dowling, he has a history of doing it more than once in the past. They should have both been given the DQ for that race and be done with it. Instead the officials DQ Smith only, remove his points for the 800, rule that he cannot participate in any more events and is also banished from the stadium. They are also considering removing all of the points in any event he participated in during the state meet. Heidouche got a rerun and no penalty.

Sure, that seems fair and equitable.
Wow. I did not realize that they DQ'ed the ICCH runner, yet let the "faller" rerun his race. Thats crap! The "fall guy" started the whole thing.

Perhaps it wasn't easy to see at live speed on the track that day, I'll give the officials the benefit of the doubt...but now with a tape to review they ought to DQ the "fall guy" too.

Reactions: desihawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT