ADVERTISEMENT

A little controversy at the Iowa State track championships on Saturday...

But should they have disqualified the City Hi kid from running the rest of his races? Register story says they did.
Probably, but I don't know what the rules are as written. What they deserved and what they could have gotten aren't the same thing. My guess is this incident was so ridiculous and unheard of there really isn't a rule to govern it.

Both probably should have been DQ'd. But to be fair at first glance it looked like incidental contact by Dowling. Then city high kid wasn't having it. But a closer look showed the Dowling kid wasn't innocent. The officials had a short time to make a decision. The crowds reaction may have played into said decision.

As far as Dowling getting preferential treatment. That is nonsense. I am not one to defend parochial schools automatically. I believe they have some advantages. But that's an argument for a different day. To make the leap they got this outcome because they are Dowling is ridiculous.

Sure. Regale is with your triumphs in the chess club and the debate team, while JVW reminisces about getting high over lunch in his Chevy Vega.

Sorry to blow your story but I was out of West High before the first Chevy Vega rolled off the assembly line. My 50 Ford flathead ruled, however.
I did get my drivers ed at City so I guess I shouldn't throw too many stones. Those sweet Chevy II simulators with the stick shifts and Wagner Pontiac donating a Ghetto Cruiser Bonneville, jumping that tight curve coming out from the parking lot made me the elite driver that Farm Bureau Insurance has classified me as for the last 35 years...
img0801-1564409280300@2x.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: DogBoyRy
Probably, but I don't know what the rules are as written. What they deserved and what they could have gotten aren't the same thing. My guess is this incident was so ridiculous and unheard of there really isn't a rule to govern it.
I’m obviously not a track official but love watching and attended drake and/or state with my brother many years.
I think leaning into another runner if you are ahead shoulder/shoulder is ok if you keep pace. Especially if trying to get inside. As an example - You couldn’t do it and then slow down to aid a teammate.

I’m obviously not a track official but love watching and attended drake and/or state with my brother many years.
I think leaning into another runner if you are ahead shoulder/shoulder is ok if you keep pace. Especially if trying to get inside. As an example - You couldn’t do it and then slow down to aid a teammate.
You're supposed to be a stride ahead and anything that disrupts the runners natural motion could be considered interference. AFAIK, there is no video review so the officials correctly called unsportsmanlike conduct and booted the City High kid from the event. The really strange part toe is the solo rerun, I've never heard of that happening.

Hopefully, someone can help me out and find the video, but the 4A 800 finals had a DQ when one runner shoved a competitor... who then fell on the track and was run over by other runners.

I was there and it happened on the backstretch of the first lap. Crowd absolutely booed the guilty runner from IC City High as he passed the area on the 2nd lap.

The officials allowed the kid that fell to "rerun" his 800, by himself, and he ended up with the 3rd best time in the event.

Crazy shit that I've never seen before.
The kid who fell was the guilty one, imo.

Reactions: shoot_the_three
You're supposed to be a stride ahead and anything that disrupts the runners natural motion could be considered interference. AFAIK, there is no video review so the officials correctly called unsportsmanlike conduct and booted the City High kid from the event. The really strange part toe is the solo rerun, I've never heard of that happening.
I’ve seen 2 or three guys given chance to rerun.
At drake i’ve seen guys run solo “under protest” after being called for false start that was under further review.

Reactions: Jerome Silberman
Those races are always pretty physical. While I don’t agree with it, I’ve seen worse than what the Dowling kid did. City kid deserved the DQ, IMO.

Agree with many above— the kid in black appeared to lower his shoulder into the kid wearing red first. I never ran track but I’m guessing a runner can’t cross the inside line and it appears he was getting pushed towards it.

Reactions: Tfxchawk
I'm guessing the officials don't get to have access to the video and are now regretting their decision even if they can't admit it publicly. The Dowling kid did what he did on purpose from what I saw in that video. He lowered his shoulder and deliberately pushed the kid into the other lane. He should have been disqualified. The action of the kid from city high was in retaliation and he deserved to be disqualified. He punched the kid from Dowling. The rolling on the track was ridiculous though.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT