ADVERTISEMENT

A Missouri man who shot and killed two jailers nearly 23 years ago was executed Tuesday evening

QChawks

HR King
Feb 11, 2013
Quad Cities
BONNE TERRE, Mo. (AP) — A Missouri man who shot and killed two jailers nearly 23 years ago during a failed bid to help an acquaintance escape from a rural jail was executed Tuesday evening.

Michael Tisius, 42, received a lethal injection of pentobarbital at the state prison in Bonne Terre and was pronounced dead at 6:10 p.m., authorities said. He was convicted of the June 22, 2000, killings of Leon Egley and Jason Acton at the small Randolph County Jail.

Tisius breathed hard a few times as the drug was administered, then fell silent. His spiritual adviser, Melissa Potts-Bowers, was in the room with him. Because the execution chamber is surrounded by soundproof glass, it’s not known what they were saying to each other.

In a final written statement, Tisius said he tried hard “to become a better man,” and he expressed remorse for his crimes.

“I am sorry,” he wrote. “And not because I am at the end. But because I truly am sorry.”

Tisius’ lawyers had urged the U.S. Supreme Court to block the execution, alleging in appeals that a juror at a sentencing hearing was illiterate, in violation of Missouri law. The court rejected that motion Tuesday afternoon.

The Supreme Court previously turned aside another argument — that Tisius should be spared because he was just 19 at the time of the killings. A 2005 Supreme Court ruling bars executions of those under 18 when their crime occurred, but attorneys for Tisius had argued that even at 19, when the killings occurred, Tisius should have had his sentence commuted to life in prison without parole.

Advocates for Tisius had said he was largely neglected as a child and was homeless by his early teens. His path to the death chamber began in 1999 when, as an 18-year-old, he was jailed on a misdemeanor charge of pawning a rented stereo system.

In June 2000, Tisius was housed on that charge at the same county jail in Huntsville with inmate Roy Vance. Tisius was about to be released, and court records show the men discussed a plan in which Tisius, once he was out, would help Vance escape.

Just after midnight on June 22, 2000, Tisius went to the jail accompanied by Vance’s girlfriend, Tracie Bulington. They told Egley and Acton that they were there to deliver cigarettes to Vance. The jailers didn’t know that Tisius had a pistol.

At trial, Bulington testified that she looked up and saw Tisius with the gun drawn, then watched as he shot and killed Acton. When Egley approached, Tisius shot him, too. Both officers were unarmed.

Tisius found keys at the dispatch area and tried to open Vance’s cell, but couldn’t. When Egley grabbed Bulington’s leg, Tisius shot him several more times.

Tisius and Bulington fled but their car broke down later that day in Kansas. They were arrested in Wathena, Kansas, about 130 miles (210 kilometers) west of Huntsville. Tisius confessed to the crimes.

Sid Conklin, now presiding commissioner of Randolph County, was a Missouri State Highway Patrol officer who investigated the killings in 2000. Conklin said the deaths of the two young jailers — both in their 30s — still haunt the community.

“I hope this brings closure for all citizens of Randolph County,” said Conklin, who witnessed the execution.

Another now-retired highway patrol investigator, Randy King, described the jailers as “good, everyday people trying to make a living.”

“I pray for the guy’s (Tisius’) soul, but it’s been 23 years and it’s time for justice to be served,” King said. He also witnessed the execution.

Bulington and Vance are serving life sentences on murder convictions.

Defense attorneys have argued that the killings were not premeditated. Tisius, they said, intended to order the jailers into a holding cell and free Vance and other inmates. Tisius’ defense team issued a video last week in which Vance said he planned the escape attempt and manipulated Tisius into participating.

A statement from Tisius’ legal team questioned the value of the death penalty.

“We teach our preschoolers that two wrongs don’t make a right. Today, we watch our adults casually dismiss such eternal guidance,” the statement read, in part.

The execution was the 12th in the U.S. this year, and the third in Missouri. Only Texas, with four, has executed more people than Missouri this year.

Amber McLaughlin, 49, who killed a woman and dumped the body near the Mississippi River in St. Louis, was put to death in January. The execution was believed to be the first of a transgender woman in the U.S. Raheem Taylor, 58, was executed in February for killing his live-in girlfriend and her three children in 2004 in St. Louis County.

Another Missouri execution is scheduled for Aug. 1. Johnny Johnson was convicted of sexually assaulting and killing a 6-year-old girl in St. Louis County in 2002.

Justice wasn't served . . . revenge was served.

Not sad about his life ending, but I don't feel like society gained anything out of it either.

Reactions: Jerome Silberman

Not sad about his life ending, but I don't feel like society gained anything out of it either.

People that are imprisoned for life maintain the ability to terrorize, assault and murder fellow inmates, counselors, nurses, doctors and officers. The world is better place when the death penalty is in place.

Reactions: HawkeyeHitman
People that are imprisoned for life maintain the ability to terrorize, assault and murder fellow inmates, counselors, nurses, doctors and officers. The world is better place when the death penalty is in place.

They could, but so could your run of the mill drug dealer too.

So could pretty much anyone.

Not all the people who cause problems in prisons have murders on their rap sheet. In fact most probably don't.

Unbelievable, if this was the course of events, that two "jailers" just let some kid with a girl roll into the jail to drop off cigarettes

Just after midnight on June 22, 2000, Tisius went to the jail accompanied by Vance’s girlfriend, Tracie Bulington. They told Egley and Acton that they were there to deliver cigarettes to Vance. The jailers didn’t know that Tisius had a pistol.

Capital punishment appeals to our most undesirable emotions, revenge and hatred, just animalistic bloodlust. We should aspire to rise above it as a free society.

Not revenge, punishment. When you take the life of another, in this case two people, your life should become forfeit.

Not revenge, punishment. When you take the life of another, in this case two people, your life should become forfeit.

Then why does that punishment only apply to some and not others?

If it's a punishment it would apply to all murderers. Instead only some get it. Those people are almost all male and a disproportionate number of them are black.

Women almost never receive the death penalty.

It's always been like this. It's revenge, plain and simple.

And it's a risky revenge to engage when you figure in the number of people who have been put on death row only to later be found to have not committed the crime.

Then why does that punishment only apply to some and not others?

Punishment should be equal across the board but you know that ain’t happening
If it's a punishment it would apply to all murderers. Instead only some get it. Those people are almost all male and a disproportionate number of them are black.

Talk to your state representatives. I would be ok with a lot of murderers being put down
Women almost never receive the death penalty.
Maybe they should
It's always been like this. It's revenge, plain and simple.

And it's a risky revenge to engage when you figure in the number of people who have been put on death row only to later be found to have not committed the crime.

The state should only use capital punishment if there is evidence beyond a shadow of a doubt. If the person admitted or there is DNA evidence directly relating. However if there is uncertainly a person committed a felony murder I don’t think the state should be able to execute.

Punishment should be equal across the board but you know that ain’t happening

Talk to your state representatives. I would be ok with a lot of murderers being put down

Maybe they should

The state should only use capital punishment if there is evidence beyond a shadow of a doubt. If the person admitted or there is DNA evidence directly relating. However if there is uncertainly a person committed a felony murder I don’t think the state should be able to execute.
The problem I have with that view is that there are always people trying to push the line and always a prosecutor who is willing to withhold evidence or something else shady in order to make a name for themselves.

I generally don't like the death penalty but in cases where the evidence is irrefutable (video tape, multiple witnesses, etc.) and if the crime is particularly savage, I don't have an issue with it. I don't like it for every murder case as there are often prosecutors, cops, etc. with an agenda rather than those seeking truth/justice, which has lead to wrongful convictions.

This guy was getting off his murder charge when he overpowered a female officer transporting him to court and got her gun. He shot her and then shot her partner. Both sheriffs were brought in as trauma codes along with the con. Just like a drunk driver surviving an accident, he survived and the two sheriffs died.

If you would have seen the trauma bay you might reconsider you idealistic stance. To this day I haven't seen so much blood. I can't even summarize the toll it took on our staff, let along the sheriff's families. Best quote that summed up the situation was, "I did everything I can to save his life but I just wish that POS would have died."

There is a code we must uphold to live together in society. Some people violate that code so severely that they need to be put down.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT