ADVERTISEMENT

A NFL scout

SI_NYC

HB All-American
Dec 15, 2001
A Jets’ scout was in my store today. We got talking and he mentioned he always stays in the Marriot in Coralville and more importantly that the Iowa players are usually ready for the NFL because of how Iowa runs their practices. I know it’s not a big deal but thought some might find it a little interesting during this slow news time of the year.

As much flack as Iowa gets for bad this, or mediocre that, I think it's fairly clear that NFL teams highly respect what Kirk and Co do to prepare players for the next level. The pipeline from Iowa to the NFL is clear, which is why we are always in the top 10 for either players being drafted or players being on NFL rosters, despite the lack of talent we work with.

A Jets’ scout was in my store today. We got talking and he mentioned he always stays in the Marriot in Coralville and more importantly that the Iowa players are usually ready for the NFL because of how Iowa runs their practices. I know it’s not a big deal but thought some might find it a little interesting during this slow news time of the year.
Since it's your store are you kicking in BIG money to the Swarm? :)

I call bs. The Marriott in Cville is now The Hyatt. Unless there is a new Marriott you are referring too?

Reactions: Hawkeyes4Nassar
As much fl....FL rosters, despite the lack of talent we work with.
I think lack of talent is a bit strong and wrong. Iowa turns 3 star players into NFL players and the 3 stars is as much a factor of where we recruit as in IOwa kids, upper midwest kids, and not as many southern US and west coast kids

Congrats on your success!

I think lack of talent is a bit strong and wrong. Iowa turns 3 star players into NFL players and the 3 stars is as much a factor of where we recruit as in IOwa kids, upper midwest kids, and not as many southern US and west coast kids
Yep. The biggest reason upper Midwest kids don’t get more stars is because they don’t spend 4 years of high school focusing on football, and they don’t have the visibility of kids that are playing 7-on all offseason and flooding the camp circuit.

Once those kids hit campus and are immersed in the program, they develop like crazy.

The Dakotas have dominated FCS football for 15 years with kids that were overlooked by FBS programs.

Thanks for sharing SI. KF is incredibly highly regarded in NFL circles as a coach who prepares his guys well. Peter King (formerly SI) has mentioned this before; Green Bay management same thing.

on a per capita basis I believe Iowa high schools have put more kids in the NFL, NBA & MLB than any other state. Less than 3 million population & there are a lot of pro athletes that hail from lil ol Iowa.
3.2 million people. But I get your point.

on a per capita basis I believe Iowa high schools have put more kids in the NFL, NBA & MLB than any other state. Less than 3 million population & there are a lot of pro athletes that hail from lil ol Iowa.
I dunno about that. It would certainly be an interesting stat to know.

Maybe the NFL scout stays at the Courtyard by Marriott on Melrose in University Heights-- south and east of Stella's.

Yep. The biggest reason upper Midwest kids don’t get more stars is because they don’t spend 4 years of high school focusing on football, and they don’t have the visibility of kids that are playing 7-on all offseason and flooding the camp circuit.

Once those kids hit campus and are immersed in the program, they develop like crazy.

The Dakotas have dominated FCS football for 15 years with kids that were overlooked by FBS programs.

All our kids play 7v7 in Iowa at these camps. I can't say it's anything more than a money grab though.

Reactions: Greenway4Prez
How many D-1 athletes did Aplington-Parkersburg have in the 90s?
Brad Meester also NFL
J DeVries also NFL
D Devries
Aaon Thomas
Aaron Kampman also NFL
Casey Wiegman also NFL

May be missing somebody, but that is just insane.

Reactions: EBL#7
To piggy back on this thread, the fam and I went to the NL Bluebird yesterday. I am about 99.5% sure Chris Doyle was in the booth behind us. Not that it matters but not sure why he would be in town.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dataisbeautiful/s/385dcCJlTb

If you disregard the mistakes in state abbreviations and labeling this shows Iowa as the 5th highest per capita for NFL players. Not sure about all major sports.

Reactions: LukaDuka
Iowa players are usually ready for the NFL because of how Iowa runs their practices.

I think most fans that pay attention have already figured this out.

There's a reason why Iowa is well liked by NFL teams.

KF and Co. do a hell of a job recruiting kids with good character that work hard.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT