ADVERTISEMENT

Don’t be surprised if Ill State is a low scoring game

Iowa should be able to beat a team like Illinois State short, middle, and over the top with ease. Get it done.
I agree 1000%, but, we have not been able to with anyone on our schedule the last couple of years. I see it this way; if we can dictate our offense and beat them in all areas then that is a good sign but certainly no sign that it will happen against the B1G, but, if we can't, that does not look good for the rest of the season with regards to offense.

Lester will set the tone for the season: 400 yards of offense and 40 points.
iu

There is a lot of optimism with Tim Lester taking over the offense. He has a track record of turning offenses around. Iowa is a 22.5-point favorite over Illinois State but there are a few reasons why it could easily be a low scoring game. One, the Hawkeyes have had to learn an all new offense in a short amount of time. Lester acknowledges that the scheme can be complicated to learn completely and he emphasized that he would be implementing his system in chunks, concentrating on perfecting a little at a time. Second, Ferentz’s MO has always been to get a lead and then run the clock. That means hanging on to the ball and executing time consuming drives by running the ball. That means less opportunities to score. Third, we have the Clowns next week and if the Hawks get a two-plus touchdown lead, they will play it close to the vest. I am thinking, in light of these reasons, that a realistic score might be in the neighborhood of 24-6. Let’s get this win in the books and get ready to stomp the Clowns!
Much like the offensive install, the gameday offense will be run in "chunks". From what I gather its all based from the run. First game I expect heavy, heavy run game then expand from there. I expect most to be surprised how run heavy Iowa will be on Saturday.

There is a lot of optimism with Tim Lester taking over the offense. He has a track record of turning offenses around. Iowa is a 22.5-point favorite over Illinois State but there are a few reasons why it could easily be a low scoring game. One, the Hawkeyes have had to learn an all new offense in a short amount of time. Lester acknowledges that the scheme can be complicated to learn completely and he emphasized that he would be implementing his system in chunks, concentrating on perfecting a little at a time. Second, Ferentz’s MO has always been to get a lead and then run the clock. That means hanging on to the ball and executing time consuming drives by running the ball. That means less opportunities to score. Third, we have the Clowns next week and if the Hawks get a two-plus touchdown lead, they will play it close to the vest. I am thinking, in light of these reasons, that a realistic score might be in the neighborhood of 24-6. Let’s get this win in the books and get ready to stomp the Clowns!
Why would anyone be surprised?

Haven't looked, but both Kirk and Cade in pressers said they were 6-5 last year, (missing a game somewhere) and 4 of those losses were by a total of 8 points! So they may not be that big a push over. Add to that the HC was the DC I believe at Purdue under Joe Tiller when they were pretty good, so he's very aware of Iowa and has coached in Kinnick numerous times.
FCS only plays 11 regular season games. (At least last I checked)

I'm never surprised when Iowa is low scoring.

Much like the offensive install, the gameday offense will be run in "chunks". From what I gather its all based from the run. First game I expect heavy, heavy run game then expand from there. I expect most to be surprised how run heavy Iowa will be on Saturday.
I agree, I think the gameplan will be run-heavy, but, everything I have seen with TL shows me that he will not continually run into stacked boxes and will have a quick, mid-range game to get defenders out of there. I will say that I think KF/TL will want the QB's to stay around the pocket and not put themselves in harm's way. I see the goal to dictate to the defense that they will have to play honest and to get the ball into the playmaker's hands in space (Wetjen, Washington, Moulton, KJ, Gill, etc.) and to check into runs when the box is light. It wouldn't surprise me if they don't try anything deep either.

One other thing, you would have to think that TL will want to come out and put some points on the board. Every coach and every level has some kind of ego and he wants to show how good he is. It might not mean a lot to KF but I sure as hell think it does to TL.

I am interested in seeing how many penalties we have on offense. How will the line do with the new system. False starts. Sounds like we will have more going in motion on plays. No expert on OL play. What do you experts think?
Can't be worse.
Of course some of last year's OLine woes can be attributed to injuries.

Will respectfully disagree on keeping some bullets in the holster until you need them. You don't waste great fake special teams plays on teams when you don't need to. You don't use all of your best plays when you don't need to.
Good coordinators "set things up" for later games so that when they do break tendencies it can be successfull.
In any case, it doesn't really matter. Putting up 30+ points is what matters. Go Hawks!

Will respectfully disagree on keeping some bullets in the holster until you need them. You don't waste great fake special teams plays on teams when you don't need to. You don't use all of your best plays when you don't need to.
Good coordinators "set things up" for later games so that when they do break tendencies it can be successfull.
In any case, it doesn't really matter. Putting up 30+ points is what matters. Go Hawks!
Sure, you save special fake plays and as the season progresses you add twists off your scouted tendencies. But running the ball into the line over and over and over for a 17-13 win over a lesser team is weak.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT