ADVERTISEMENT

A real college football playoff

BuildemHawk

HB All-American
Jun 7, 2015
So right now we don't have one. We have 4 teams invited to a playoff, but no real rules on how to get there. The NFL has a clear path with a clear set of rules to a playoff. It doesn't matter if you are 7-9 if you win your division in the NFL you make the playoffs.

We need a playoff that the winner of each conference gets an automatic bid into the playoff. The obvious problem is there are 5 conferences and we need an even amount of playoff teams. I think the simplest way would be to add one more team and go with a 6 team playoff. So while each conference is having their CCG, you have 2 at large teams playing for the final 6th spot as well that week. Now you have 12 teams that all got to actually play a game and settle it on the field as to who deserved to be in the playoffs. This system only adds 3 total games to the current system (play in game between 2 at large team) and then 2 additional playoff games that could happen 2 weeks after the CCG, with the #1 and #2 seeds getting byes. That still sets up the 4 team playoff in the current bowl system, with the Championship game following those.

I know everyone wants a 8 team playoff, but here is why I hate the idea of 8. Giving 3 teams a playoff spot who didn't have to play a 13th game (CCG), is almost an advantage. For instance right now Texas A&M is for sure in a 8 team playoff, while Bama and Florida are having to have a play in game to the playoffs. It isn't fair that 10 teams in essence have to play an extra game to get in, while 3 other teams don't have that extra data point, but still get in. We are seeing this year just how hard it is to judge/rank teams when they don't have the same amount of data points to judge.

Anyway, what say you?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News