A slow, but promising start to 380 Express Bus

THE_DEVIL

HR King
Aug 16, 2005
Hell, Michigan
www.livecoinwatch.com
by Eva Andersen

Monday, October 1st 2018

The 380 Express Bus will run Monday-Friday, between the hours of 5:20 a.m. and 8:40 p.m. (CBS)

CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa (CBS2/FOX28) — The maiden voyage of the 380 Express bus took off Monday morning from the Cedar Rapids Ground Transportation Center with no one on it. October 1st was a slow start for the $1.4 million bus project.

Over the next three hours, a handful of people started to board. Most of them said they work for the University of Iowa.

"I’ve been commuting down 380 for years and years and years," said James Maxted, an engineering professor at the University. "Like most people who do the drive, I don’t like it. It’s busy--just a hassle!"

Maxted now plans to use his commute time for grading papers, saving himself some time. He also anticipates saving money on parking and gas.

"I am going to save about somewhere in the order of $10 to $12 a day," said Maxted.

Others, like UIHC pediatric nurse Deeann Hebrink, just want to relax.

"I plan on reading along the way, said Hebrink. "I could just sit there and let somebody else drive."

The four buses, which have free Wi-Fi, bathrooms, and charging ports, make three stops in between the Cedar Rapids and Iowa City transportation centers: Kirkwood Community College, Iowa River Landing, and University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics.

The buses are funded by I-80, I-380 interchange construction project, and were created to help ease traffic. They'll run throughout the 5-year duration of the construction effort, but if the ridership is successful, there is a possibility of extending it.

Brock Grenis, transit administrator for East Central Iowa Council of Governments, says the service was created primarily for commuters to and from work. However, he anticipates people to use the bus for other reasons.

"The University hospitals is a major destination for people seeking medical care," said Grenis. "With Cedar Rapids being a large city, there are a lot of people going back and forth. and those without a car are choosing not to drive so this service should work out well for them."

Many said they might test out the service a few times a month, but others are making a bigger commitment.

Martha Hanley works for the University Child Health Specialty Clinics, and she brought a book with her.

"I believe it’s going to be a more profitable way to spend my time, said Hanley. "I hope to ride it everyday."https://cbs2iowa.com/news/local/a-slow-but-promising-start-to-380-express-bus

Reactions: cigaretteman
If it doesn't catch on, oh well. If it does catch on, great. Either way not 1 tax dollar better go towards supporting it.

Spotted the 380 express this morning headed towards the UIHC stop It didn't appear to have any riders on board.

This thing will be dead by Christmas at this rate. It's too bad. I'm a fan of public transportation, but Iowa city/NL just aren't inconvenient to enough to support this.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT