ADVERTISEMENT

Cedar Rapids 8th grader dies of malaria after visiting family in Liberia

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Shawn Nupolu, an eighth-grader at Cedar Rapids Roosevelt Creative Corridor Business Academy, died this month from malaria after visiting his home in Liberia.

Nupolu, 15, was an athlete who played at Metro Youth Football in Cedar Rapids. According to Metro Youth Football, Nupolu recently reunited with his family in Africa after eight years. After he returned to Cedar Rapids, he became sick and was taken to the University of Iowa Children’s Hospital in Iowa City.

“Despite the doctors’ best efforts, Shawn lost his battle with the disease and passed away,” according to a message on the Metro Youth Football Association’s website.

Advertisement

Nupolu most likely contracted malaria while overseas, according to the Metro Youth Football Association.

Nupolu earned the nickname “cheetah” because he was always the fastest kid on the field, according to the statement. He had several siblings and extended family in Cedar Rapids.

Nupolu’s coaches and teammates remember him as a kind, compassionate, appreciative, humble, hardworking and fun person to be around, according to the statement.

The Metro Youth Football Association is accepting donations to support Nupolu’s family, including his hospital bills and other related costs. Contributions can be made online at tinyurl.com/ShawnNupolu

He was already discussed here in life. The quotes below are about this young man. Knew him through football and his church. Incredible athlete and even better student and person. He was already on the recruiting radar. I can’t imagine what his parents and beloved little sister are going through:

Are you talking about the RB #6 for Roosevelt in 7th grade?

Taft is a lot closer to Prairie in social economics/structure than Roosevelt.
Yep, and he's a real good kid (seems like it anyway) to boot.

My son plays for another middle school in the district and I watched him play. I also know the Roosevelt 7th grade coach. He said he just needs to hand if off to #6 😊

He was already discussed here in life. The quotes below are about this young man. Knew him through football and his church. Incredible athlete and even better student and person. He was already on the recruiting radar. I can’t imagine what his parents and beloved little sister are going through:
Damn man. That is well beyond tough to hear.

Yes, this is horrible. It happened pretty quick too. I know several people that knew this young man well and had nothing but the nicest things to say about him. I cannot imagine what his parents are going through.

• Sad
Reactions: cigaretteman
That sucks.

15 year old 8th grader?
Most 8th graders are 14 or turn 14 during the school year. So for a kid that relocated from another country a few yrs prior it would not be all that surprising that he was a year older than most of his classmates. Nothing unusual in my experience

We couldn't treat him adequately in the US? Hard to believe we're that helpless.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT