ADVERTISEMENT

A Tim Dwight story that I've always remembered....

Kinnick.At.Night

HB Legend
Jun 27, 2018
In 1993, I was 12 years old. Iowa City High played at Linn-Mar early in the season. It was a #1 vs. #2 match-up. It was a big time game. Both teams were riding a ton of recent success. Old Armstrong Field was bursting at the seams that night. Then the game took place. And it was over in a matter of minutes. City, behind Tim Dwight, annihilated Linn-Mar. I don't remember the final score, but I recall it being close to 50-0 at the half.

Anyway, this thread isn't necessarily about the game but about Tim Dwight. And something some players I knew from Linn-Mar told me about him from that night. There were several plays where he was tackled dead-to-rights. Blown up and gang tackled. And each time Dwight was the first guy on his feet and was asking the guys in black and red if that was really all they could do. He laughed openly at them. I remember hearing that at the time and thinking, man, Tim Dwight is a bad mofo.

In 1993, I was 12 years old. Iowa City High played at Linn-Mar early in the season. It was a #1 vs. #2 match-up. It was a big time game. Both teams were riding a ton of recent success. Old Armstrong Field was bursting at the seams that night. Then the game took place. And it was over in a matter of minutes. City, behind Tim Dwight, annihilated Linn-Mar. I don't remember the final score, but I recall it being close to 50-0 at the half.

Anyway, this thread isn't necessarily about the game but about Tim Dwight. And something some players I knew from Linn-Mar told me about him from that night. There were several plays where he was tackled dead-to-rights. Blown up and gang tackled. And each time Dwight was the first guy on his feet and was asking the guys in black and red if that was really all they could do. He laughed openly at them. I remember hearing that at the time and thinking, man, Tim Dwight is a bad mofo.

I was at the game as well, although I remember it as #1 v #4.

Timmy was next level - he was so much better than every other player on the field. Linn Mar ran some sort of trick play on the 1st play and looked like they were heading to the endzone, when Timmy came from nowhere to "end it". No contest after that.

I also recall Timmy getting only about 7 carries that game, but scored on a punt return (or two) and INT return, etc. It was surreal watching him out there. Man among boys.

I was at the game as well, although I remember it as #1 v #4.

Timmy was next level - he was so much better than every other player on the field. Linn Mar ran some sort of trick play on the 1st play and looked like they were heading to the endzone, when Timmy came from nowhere to "end it". No contest after that.

I also recall Timmy getting only about 7 carries that game, but scored on a punt return (or two) and INT return, etc. It was surreal watching him out there. Man among boys.

Corrected again. It was #2 City vs. #3 Linn-Mar. Great read here! I admire Greg Purnell's words. It couldn't have been easy to be dominated like that. He's one of the greatest coaches in 4A history.

http://cedarrapids.advantage-preser..._cedar_rapids_19930918_english_15&df=21&dt=30

Last edited:
I heard a story. (please correct me if wrong as I live clear out in northwest Iowa) the story goes that Tim had/has an older sis that was already at the U. she had a little party at the follks home with several U of I players there. Tim was a committed H.S. senior. the Iowa players were saying we should weight lift together some time to which Tim responded something to the effect of bring a lunch. imagine a high schooler throwing down the gauntlet to college players.
again, have no idea if true or a figment of someones imagination? .

Reactions: Kinnick.At.Night
Corrected again. It was #2 City vs. #3 Linn-Mar. Great read here! I admire Greg Purnell's words. It couldn't have been easy to be dominated like that. He's one of the greatest coaches in 4A.

Well, I'm not that enamored with Purnell's success. Some of it came at the expense of my Indians! Guessing you went to LM. Howdy from OK, former "rival." I root for both schools now.

I thought Marion had a good run, a state championship and 3 semi-finals. Then whaaaa? LM beat Marion first game of the '82 season. Well, we'll get 'em in the playoffs.

Before the game LM students were chanting, "We Want Twat!, We Want ..." A reference to Todd Twachtmann, Gazette athlete of the year.

They got him, and his crew 27-6 (?). LM went to 4A and the schools quit playing, of course. But LM just kept winning. Yep, excellent coach, Purnell.

City High football is a far cry from what it once was. Timmy was generational at the high school level, but the eastside hasn't seen anyone with even a quarter of that talent since. Hard to look at City now with barely 25 players on varsity winning 1-3 games a year.

City High football is a far cry from what it once was. Timmy was generational at the high school level, but the eastside hasn't seen anyone with even a quarter of that talent since. Hard to look at City now with barely 25 players on varsity winning 1-3 games a year.
Even the older Derby brother was a part of good teams. That's not that long ago.

Reactions: Greenway4Prez

Wish I had been a bit older when Timmy was at City and Iowa so I could remember it better. Kid was truly off the charts. He and the team were so dominant then.

There are a lot of Tim Dwight stories from high school, Hawks and NFL. The best indicative story I recall was the example Hade Fry would tell. He would say that the weight room and practice field changed when Tim D. showed up. Haden used to say that the intensity level of everyone went up due to his presence. Haden said he was the most impactful player he ever coached.

I saw that game in person, and Tim Dwight dominated that game and others in HS! Big time player!

He had a confident/cocky way of walking/strutting, and athletes at IC High copied him for years afterwards. lol

I remember on kickoff/punt returns or toss sweeps, if he got the corner on you, it was all over.

Last edited:
Reactions: birthhawk
I was a sophomore (never played I sucked) at Jefferson when we played Dwight, just ridiculous how fast he was. We played Bettendorf with tavian and TImmywas head and shoulders better IMO

Reactions: Herkmeister
I wonder if TD, being such a freak, is part of a lineage like the McCaffrey bros with great athletes on both sides of the family. Someone probably knows.

Like the OP where TD pops right up talking smack. Rather well-known and nearly identical incident with Brett Favre getting crunched blindside. Good company.

I remember that Linn Mar game well, but I also remember the playoff game that year at City High when Tavian Banks was Bettendorf’s RB. City actually lost that one, but it was amazing the hype that game got... and the attendance. Was it 12k or something like that? Packed the lawn all around the field.

I remember that Linn Mar game well, but I also remember the playoff game that year at City High when Tavian Banks was Bettendorf’s RB. City actually lost that one, but it was amazing the hype that game got... and the attendance. Was it 12k or something like that? Packed the lawn all around the field.

The game at Bett was amazing

The score was 49-0 right before half. It was 4th down for LM with time running out in the 2nd quarter. TD pleaded with his coach to call a timeout so he could run back a punt for a TD and end the game. Had family on the chain gang on the City High sideline.

The 1992 playoff game at Bates Field against Bettendorf has been called the greatest football game in Iowa high school history.

Tim Dwight = Best Iowa high school football player of all time. Hands down.

It's Tim or Tavian. Take your pick. It's amazing that they were within a year of each other in school. And we haven't seen anything from a skill player that approaches either of them since.

Reactions: ctghawk
Dwight. Never seen anything like it in Iowa high school football and probably never will again

Something forgotten about Dwight is how amazing he was as a safety at City High. He probably could have been an All-American at Iowa playing safety if he'd wanted to.

Well, I'm not that enamored with Purnell's success. Some of it came at the expense of my Indians! Guessing you went to LM. Howdy from OK, former "rival." I root for both schools now.

I thought Marion had a good run, a state championship and 3 semi-finals. Then whaaaa? LM beat Marion first game of the '82 season. Well, we'll get 'em in the playoffs.

Before the game LM students were chanting, "We Want Twat!, We Want ..." A reference to Todd Twachtmann, Gazette athlete of the year.

They got him, and his crew 27-6 (?). LM went to 4A and the schools quit playing, of course. But LM just kept winning. Yep, excellent coach, Purnell.

Great post. And wow, Todd Twachtmann. What an athlete! He was a member of the Teleconnect team that won the fastpitch softball World Series, IIRC.

Saw Dwight face off against Bettendorf in what I believe was his Junior year. I specifically remember one time he broke lose and absolutely crushed a DB who squared up on him after he broke loose.

I was so close, I remember hearing the pads popping and heavy grunting as Dwight literally smashed this kid into next month.

I was only like 13, and at that point in my life it was easily the most violent hit I had ever seen.

Saw Dwight face off against Bettendorf in what I believe was his Junior year. I specifically remember one time he broke lose and absolutely crushed a DB who squared up on him after he broke loose.

I was so close, I remember hearing the pads popping and heavy grunting as Dwight literally smashed this kid into next month.

I was only like 13, and at that point in my life it was easily the most violent hit I had ever seen.

Check out this short clip from Dwight's senior season against a strong Kennedy team. He trucks a dude.

Reactions: chodehawk
Check out this short clip from Dwight's senior season against a strong Kennedy team. He trucks a dude.

Kinnick,

I believe the "NFL Wide Receiver" that is stamped on that video was an edit from a few years after the fact.....

That clip was originally featured in a special recruiting preview way back when, featuring a handful of high profile HS standouts that year. I remember watching it as a kid...another player was also featured and I remember thinking to myself, "I'm here to see Dwight...who the F is this guy?"

That other "guy" was a young Peyton Manning.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT