ADVERTISEMENT

A very solid Who is the A—hole

Who is the a-hole?

• Jerk husband litterer

Votes: 40 66.7%
  • Bitchy control freak wife

Votes: 20 33.3%

• Total voters
it’s interesting that she won’t share the words she used to express her disgust but quotes her husband verbatim. on the hole, the verdict hinges on what she said. imagine the scenario where she told her husband “you fat ugly mothaf***er how dare you throw that out of my car window?” if that’s what she said, the man could be considered the saint of verbal restraint. otoh if she had matter of factly said “c’mon hubs, not cool what you just did”, then the balance of assholery shifts.

Reactions: Masterprime
Full article for all the litter enthusiasts

May 5, 2023

What some may view as a minor event has become a real fault line in our marriage. While we were driving recently on the Massachusetts Turnpike and going highway speed in the middle lane, my husband opened the passenger-side window and tossed a banana peel into the road. I immediately expressed my disgust, telling him that I’m opposed to littering, that it’s a bad example for the 13-year-old we had in the car and that I, as the driver, would be the one to receive the ticket. What if everyone started tossing leftover produce on the highways? It’s slippery, dangerous and just dirty.
My husband’s response was that the banana peel would biodegrade, and he said, “I’m an adult, so I’ll do as I want.” I responded that the peel wouldn’t biodegrade on asphalt. When we arrived home, I sent him an article outlining why this is dangerous and unacceptable behavior. (It could lure animals onto the road, putting them in danger. And it’s considered littering and carries a fine.) I also sent him the Massachusetts law that stated this was illegal. His only comment was, “Don’t you have anything better to do with your time?” He refuses to acknowledge that he made a mistake or change his behavior. We’ve reached a deadlock on this issue. What do you think?
— Teresa, New York City
From the Ethicist:
Tossing that banana peel out of the car window was wrong, for reasons that you expressed at the time, and for others too. Yes, it will eventually biodegrade (even on asphalt, which isn’t a sterile environment), but not necessarily anytime soon. Bird lovers warn us that pesticide-treated fruit peels can be bad for the critters who eat them. And does nobody remember the discarded peels in Paul Verhoeven’s movie “Spetters”? Things go very badly for the motorcyclist who gets them in the face. You might now be tempted to slam this article on the breakfast table — or text your husband a link to it — and say: “See? The Ethicist agrees with me.”
But this isn’t a story about the proper disposal of banana peels; in this matter, your husband is no longer claiming he’s in the right. Two things seem to be going on. First, he’s evidently sensitive to criticism (maybe especially from you, his spouse, and maybe especially when voiced in front of the kid). His pride has been wounded; he doesn’t want to reward you with the concession you seek. Given this dynamic, the only surprise is that a “fault line” didn’t open up earlier.

Second, though, he’s complaining that you’re making a very big deal out of a minor misdeed. Here your pigheaded polluter has a point: not about your initial response so much as about your fully researched insistence on your rightness. Spouses make mistakes. It’s fine to point them out, fine even to be annoyed when they won’t own up to them. In a functioning relationship, however, you know when to drop it and move on; you don’t insist on a full admission of guilt. Facts matter, but from an ethical perspective, kindness counts too. To the extent that your spouse is feeling beleaguered in this way, slamming down a newspaper, physically or digitally, will just confirm his judgment and raise tensions further.
If you really are finding yourself alienated from your husband, you might want to consider couples counseling. Both your response and his suggest that there may be deeper problems in your relationship. A marriage that’s on solid ground shouldn’t slip on a banana peel.

I assumed the husband was driving when I began to read the article. If he had rolled down the no pic Wifey's window and flung it out right in front of her face, then I could see why she'd be pissed. After finding out otherwise, I'm ok with the husband's position.

Reactions: Masterprime
The wife took time out of her day to write a long letter, complaining about this insignificant event, of course the husband is oblivious to this, and has long forgotten about the incident.

I can only imagine how this woman would react to a real family crisis situation.

Going with the wife. If it was legit trash - like plastic or glass or something - I'd feel different. But it's a banana peel - it'll be decomposed in like a week.

That said, "I'm an adult and I'll do as I want" is a pretty clear indication that the husband is, overall, likely an ahole. Just not comparatively in this situation.

Actually it takes about 2 years for a banana peel to biodegrade

• Haha
Reactions: NDallasRuss
Banana peel isn't littering unless it was on someone's yard, etc. Middle of nowhere is fine. It will decompose or an animal will chew on it.

Reactions: millah_22
I dunno… I think if the words “I’m an adult I can do what I want!” come out of your mouth in an argument with your wife, you have the emotional maturity of a teenager.
What if you’re saying it sarcastically?

Because if I’m ever quoted in an article like this, I can guarantee one of my responses will be “don’t tell me my business, devil-woman!”

d8f30856-3b29-445b-b9b6-6b658863c374_text.gif

This is how I feel. A banana peel in the elements with bugs and microbacteria will take no more than 8 moths to fully break down. Don’t come at me with that 2 year crap.

8 months, 2 years... whatever. If EVERYBODY threw their banana peels on the roadways it would be a BIG problem.

• Haha
Reactions: Kelsers
I consider myself, along with @soybean, somewhat of a banana expert. I eat a single banana nearly every day of the week for breakfast as I sit in the hot tub with my coffee. I intentionally try to throw the peels into the adjacent tree from the tub, trying to hang them from the nearby branch. If I'm lucky 1/5 might stick over the limb. There are currently 6 -8 peels in various states of decomposition. They turn black on day 2, whither and dry on day 3 or 4, falling off, dried out on day 6-7. I have never seen an animal of any kind attracted by a peel, despite living in the wood with coons, opossums, squirrels and possibly wombats. She over reacted. Now if it was a cigarette butt...

Going with the wife. If it was legit trash - like plastic or glass or something - I'd feel different. But it's a banana peel - it'll be decomposed in like a week.

That said, "I'm an adult and I'll do as I want" is a pretty clear indication that the husband is, overall, likely an ahole. Just not comparatively in this situation.
Correct answer on all counts.

Based on my recent experience with my BIL and his mental/most likely narcissist wife, I'd say she's a narcissist and he's is completely fed up with dealing with it.

Especially seeing her letter...she doesn't even understand her obsession with being right and making sure he knows he's wrong.

We were really stoned driving around one time and out of nowhere the driver violently swerved to the point I thought we were going to roll

“Sorry guys, there was a banana peel on the road”

I typically through mine into the ditch, not in the middle of the interstate.

Everytime I have done it on the highway, it is gone the following day, so some animal got a free meal. Banana peel = Gatorade bottle full of piss according to you
Probably gone because the animal went out to get it and then was hit by a car.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT