ADVERTISEMENT

A web of trenches shows Russia fears losing Crimea

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
With Ukrainian leaders vowing to retake all of their territory occupied by Russia, Moscow has readied elaborate defenses, especially in Crimea, the peninsula it annexed illegally in 2014, which is now one of the most fortified in the war zone.

After weeks of digging, the area around the small town of Medvedivka, near a crossing to mainland Ukraine, is webbed with an elaborate trench system stretching several miles. The passages are cut into the earth at angles to give soldiers a broader range of fire. Nearby are other fortifications, including deep ditches designed to trap tanks and heavy vehicles.

Satellite images provided to The Washington Post by Maxar, a commercial space technology company, show that Russia has built dozens of similar defenses.

“The Russian military, apparently, understands that Crimea will have to be defended in the near future,” said Ian Matveev, a Russian military analyst.

Reactions: Torg and lucas80
Fascinating article. If nothing else the Russians are expending tremendous resources digging in, and stationing equipment they could use elsewhere. This should be in the mega thread, by the way.
I spent some time last night looking at Crimea on Google Earth. It's imposing to invade, that is for sure. I can see the reasons that Russia wants to keep it, too. So many bases stationed there because they can project power. They are also big, fat targets if the West gives the munitions needed to hit them.

Reactions: win4jj and Torg
Blyat!
wounded-russian-soldier-attack-happened-773440036-1.jpg

“[Putin] would have never done it. That’s without even negotiating a deal. I could have negotiated. At worst, I could’ve made a deal to take over something, there are certain areas that are Russian-speaking areas, frankly, but you could’ve worked a deal.”

Reactions: cigaretteman
With Ukrainian leaders vowing to retake all of their territory occupied by Russia, Moscow has readied elaborate defenses, especially in Crimea, the peninsula it annexed illegally in 2014, which is now one of the most fortified in the war zone.

After weeks of digging, the area around the small town of Medvedivka, near a crossing to mainland Ukraine, is webbed with an elaborate trench system stretching several miles. The passages are cut into the earth at angles to give soldiers a broader range of fire. Nearby are other fortifications, including deep ditches designed to trap tanks and heavy vehicles.

Satellite images provided to The Washington Post by Maxar, a commercial space technology company, show that Russia has built dozens of similar defenses.

“The Russian military, apparently, understands that Crimea will have to be defended in the near future,” said Ian Matveev, a Russian military analyst.

Los Paywall, muchacho.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT