ADVERTISEMENT

A woman rented designer clothing. Then she made $750K selling it, feds say.

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Bottega Veneta sunglasses, originally priced at $450, were available for $116.
A Zadig and Voltaire blazer, valued at $650, was bought for $100.

A Tory Burch sling bag, priced over $500, was sold for $109.
This is a sampling of items sold by a user on an e-commerce website, matching the description of a woman who has now been arrested for allegedly selling more than 1,000 luxury items she got from rental websites, the Justice Department said Wednesday.

The Michigan woman allegedly pocketed more than $750,000 by selling stolen designer items worth $800,000, until federal prosecutors caught up with her.
Brandalene Horn, 42, was arrested at her home in Freeland, Mich., on charges of mail fraud, wire fraud and interstate transportation of stolen property.

Horn rented the luxury clothing from at least three subscription-based clothing rental companies — these companies allow consumers to rent a specific amount of clothing items on a monthly basis for a subscription fee.

Instead of eventually returning the items, prosecutors say, Horn created more than 170 accounts to sell the items. She engaged in the scheme for nearly two years, from at least April 2022 to February 2024, they say.

Often, the photos and descriptions that Horn uploaded on her websites matched those from the victim companies. Some of the items sold were worth thousands of dollars, the Justice Department said in a release.
An image of Horn's listing for an allegedly stolen designer dress on an e-commerce marketplace. (U.S. Attorney's Office, Southern District of New York)
A K.ngsley Cherie gown valued at around $1,100 was available on one of Horn’s websites for $189, the Justice Department said in its release, which identified “CashHorn,” as one of Horn’s usernames for selling items.

A user on Poshmark by the same username and “House of Cash” as her profile name also has a sold-out Cherie Dress. Poshmark is a website where users buy and sell new and secondhand fashion and other items.

The “House of Cash” page, still active Thursday morning, has more than 2,500 listings and almost 200,000 followers.
The U.S. attorney’s office declined to comment to The Washington Post.
The rental companies attempted to charge Horn for items she rented and didn’t return, but she disputed these charges with her credit union or she canceled the credit and debit cards she had provided to the rental companies, the Justice Department said.
When rental companies flagged or closed Horn’s account because of fraudulent activity, she opened new accounts to “continue stealing and selling luxury and designer goods,” the release said.

“As alleged, Brandalene Horn perpetrated a lucrative scheme in which she defrauded at least three victim companies, stole hundreds of thousands of dollars’ worth of luxury and designer items, and then sold those stolen items online,” Damian Williams, U.S. attorney for the Southern District of New York, said in the news release.
If convicted and given the maximum penalty on all three charges, Horn could be looking at up to 50 years in prison — 20 years for the mail fraud charge, 20 years for the wire fraud charge and 10 years for the charge of interstate transportation of stolen property.

michigan-woman-allegedly-stole-hundreds-76532898.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: TJ8869
Related story:

The no-pics wife was the manager of a college book store back when we met. There was a fella who would always bring in new books to sell back to them. He had a great scam going where he'd open accounts with college textbook publishers, order a bunch of them to be delivered to a PO box, then when the invoice came in he'd bail and open up another one under another name somewhere else, and so on. He did this over and over, and it lasted more than a year. The owner of the store knew what he was doing and, I think, would even advise him on what books he needed and would pay the most for.

Then, one day two armed postal inspectors show up at my front door. They ask a bunch of questions about the guy, what he did, and what my wife knew. The guy only dealt with the owner - she never handled any of his transactions. That wasn't good enough for the postal inspectors. They pulled "good cop/bad cop": The one guy says, to the wife "We didn't think you were involved in it when we got here, but now I'm not so sure!". This really pissed me off, so I stood up and told him he wasn't going to stand in our living room and accuse her of things. We really were in each others' faces. Then the other guy gets in between us and says "No one's accusing anyone of anything!" and they left. We never heard from them again. But, I know the owner paid a fine as part of an agreement, but never went to jail. He retired and, I think, move to one of the ski towns in Colorado.

Aside: The book store owner was really shady. Every year he'd pay Christmas bonuses with envelopes of cash. The cash always smelled really musty - he was taking cash out of the business and stashing it up in the attic. When he retired there's no telling how much extra siphoned-off cash he had.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT