ADVERTISEMENT

U.S. Sues Apple, Accusing It of Maintaining an iPhone Monopoly

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
The Justice Department and 16 state attorneys general filed an antitrust lawsuit against Apple on Thursday, the federal government’s most significant challenge to the reach and influence of the company that has put iPhones in the hands of more than a billion people.
The government argued that Apple violated antitrust laws by preventing other companies from offering applications that compete with Apple products like its digital wallets, which could diminish the value of the iPhone. Apple’s policies hurt consumers and smaller companies that compete with some of Apple’s services, according to excerpts from the lawsuit released by the government, which was filed in the U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey.
“Each step in Apple’s course of conduct built and reinforced the moat around its smartphone monopoly,” the government said in the lawsuit.
The lawsuit caps years of regulatory scrutiny of Apple’s wildly popular suite of devices and services, which have fueled its growth into a nearly $2.75 trillion public company that was for years the most valuable on the planet. It takes direct aim at the iPhone, Apple’s most popular device and most powerful business, and attacks the way the company has turned the billions of smartphones it has sold since 2007 into the centerpiece of its empire.
Advertisement
SKIP ADVERTISEMENT

By tightly controlling the user experience on iPhones and other devices, Apple has created what critics call an uneven playing field, where it grants its own products and services access to core features that it denies rivals. Over the years, it has limited finance companies’ access to the phone’s payment chip and Bluetooth trackers from tapping into its location-service feature. It’s also easier for users to connect Apple products, like smartwatches and laptops, to the iPhone than to those made by other manufacturers.

• Haha
Reactions: Sharky1203
So are we to expect seeing a lot of companies getting sued in the future. Don’t they all have some sort of monopoly.

This. How exactly is Apple’s “difficulty for users to leave the ecosystem” any different than Windows users?

Their stuff just works. I have no issues with Apple.
New York Yankees Thumbs Down GIF by MLB

Apple operates within a closed ecosystem that's exclusive and tends to lag about two years behind in technology. They haven't fully taken advantage of AI, and they don't work smoothly with Android devices. This has led to a culture of elitism where iOS snobs look down on users of non-Apple products, especially those with "green" chat bubbles.

Apple operates within a closed ecosystem that's exclusive and tends to lag about two years behind in technology. They haven't fully taken advantage of AI, and they don't work smoothly with Android devices. This has led to a culture of elitism where iOS snobs look down on users of non-Apple products, especially those with "green" chat bubbles.

Fvcking facts

I don’t look down on anyone who uses Android, but don’t give a crap about anything you said. Their products work great for me. No hacking, viruses and other nonsense. This sounds like it could loosen their control and make that stuff more likely.

I don’t want to spend one second thinking about IT stuff. I just want it to work seamlessly. Apple does that for me.

uhhh... Microsoft was sued and lost back in the 90s.
That was because of them putting Netscape on there, trying to monopolize internet access, wasn't it? This is because a company is wanting to keep it's proprietary innovations as to only work with their products.

That's because people using Androids are a bunch of mouth breathers. Deal with it.

fvcking poor and their shit droids.

That was because of them putting Netscape on there, trying to monopolize internet access, wasn't it? This is because a company is wanting to keep it's proprietary innovations as to only work with their products.
I think that was past of the issue. Apple will likely need to loosen restrictions for 3rd parties to some extent.

I think that was past of the issue. Apple will likely need to loosen restrictions for 3rd parties to some extent.
Am I reading this right that third-party developers are pissed that Apple maybe controls tracking user movements?

Over the years, it has limited finance companies’ access to the phone’s payment chip and Bluetooth trackers from tapping into its location-service feature

Am I reading this right that third-party developers are pissed that Apple maybe controls tracking user movements?

Over the years, it has limited finance companies’ access to the phone’s payment chip and Bluetooth trackers from tapping into its location-service feature

I think that’s just poorly worded regarding not supporting NFC payment (vs Apple Pay)

I'm not sure what is monopolistic about keeping a product you developed under your control? They aren't preventing anyone from developing other phones or apps? There are a number of other phones and apps that people can buy but most still choose Apple. Sounds to me the government is getting too aggressive

fvcking poor and their shit droids.
Make no mistake BS Apple get's their fair share of $$ from me. Here's my bill breakdown:

• iPhone 14 - daughter 1
  • iPhone 14 - daughter 2
  • iPhone 14 - wife
  • iPad 9 gen - wife
  • iPad 10 gen - son
  • Samsung Galaxy S23 - mine

I have an iPhone and I never loaded my digital wallet. Never paid for Apple Music. Never did anything I couldn't do on any other manufacturer's phone.

I didn't choose an iPhone for any "special features" that I can't get from somewhere else (unless a reputation for quality is a special feature).

This is unbelievable overreach on the part of the DOJ.

I'm not sure what is monopolistic about keeping a product you developed under your control? They aren't preventing anyone from developing other phones or apps? There are a number of other phones and apps that people can buy but most still choose Apple. Sounds to me the government is getting too aggressive
This will be another beatdown for Biden ftc lawyers.
They should be getting fairly good at defeat.

Lol..what defeats? List them
Meta, Microsoft, United Health Care, Us Sugar, Illumina, Cargill, etc., etc. This FTC gets beat like a drum under the new commissioner who might be a frickin commie.
The Microsoft/Activision ruling was a total embarrassment for any attorney involved on the gov't side.

That enough ?

Reactions: Finance85
Meta, Microsoft, United Health Care, Us Sugar, Illumina, Cargill, etc., etc. This FTC gets beat like a drum under the new commissioner who might be a frickin commie.
The Microsoft/Activision ruling was a total embarrassment for any attorney involved on the gov't side.

That enough ?

Didn't those same lawyers work there under Trump?

Do android devices work seamlessly with Apple stuff? Of course not.

The closed ecosystem is part of the appeal for Apple users.

Reactions: HROT
Do android devices work seamlessly with Apple stuff? Of course not.

The closed ecosystem is part of the appeal for Apple users.
Android:
The Google Messages App, for example, allows me to name the group message, choose a specific notification sound, and customize its color theme regardless of operating system. It's inclusive and plays well with others.

iOS:
"Ugh. [darn green bubble], I'm sorry, I can't let you be part of this text message group because it won't let me custom name the group when Android users are part of it."

:cool:

I just don’t know how you put the toothpaste back in the tube. 87% of teenagers have iPhones. You could make the user experience exactly the same and I’d never switch.

That apple hardware though. Usually iphones that are a few generations old will be more powerful than the top Android phones. It's been that way going back to the iphone 5.

Reactions: alaskanseminole
Searched for a relevant apple thread, as this doesn’t deserve its own.

My mom of all people taught me an iOS/Apple feature I didn’t know about

You can take photos of animals/plants, and Apple will now identify (sorta) the plant or animal type.

Apparently this also works for audio recordings to identify birds.

Take a picture, look for the little “i”, and it displays results

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT