ADVERTISEMENT

A you a car person?

Feb 9, 2013
Mercedes--Lexus thread got me thinking.

Some of my friends are truck guys, some like luxury cars (whether or not they can afford them), and some view vehicles as means to get from point A to point B.

I’m in the latter category. I commute a lot, want something practical and with the bells and whistles, but am not interested in paying for a name.

Where do you fit?

I have a BMW X4, it is fun to drive, I kind of felt like a doucher buying it but honestly it is really fun to drive and looks pretty bad ass. It has allowed me to bang my wife approximately 0 more times than I otherwise would have.

I have had it for a little over a year and commute to work 2-3 days per week, I work from home or a coffee shop on other days (I am at a Scooters right now). Kind of wishing I could go back in time and wait another year, my BIL just got a Tesla and it is totally awesome plus I am into saving the environment for real vs just typing about it here and on social media...I also could use the car as a battery back up to my house and having solar panels fill up your car would be a pretty bad ass thing.

Some of my friends are truck guys, some like luxury cars (whether or not they can afford them), and some view vehicles as means to get from point A to point B.

I’m in the latter category. I commute a lot, want something practical and with the bells and whistles, but am not interested in paying for a name.

Where do you fit?

I am a car person. I primarily enjoy older cars and go to car shows, but thoroughly enjoy the bells and whistles on new models. However, I decided with my last car purchase that I'd rather put money towards different barrels than my personal vehicle. So went with a quality vehicle that can get me from A to B and was comfortable.

Right now I have a 2019 Acura MDX that I got last November. Previously, going all the way back to 1999, my vehicles have been:

2012 Infinity QX56 (18 mos)
2015 Toyota Highlander (1 year)
2012 Buick Enclave (2 years)
2000 Lexus LX470 (drove that one for 13-14 years)
1997 Mitsubishi Montero (4 years)

Best car I’ve ever owned, by far, was that Lexus LX 470. Man I loved that thing! The MDX I have now is my 2nd favorite. QX56 was just ok. I hated the Highlander - Only drove it for a year. Enclave was nice but I put a shit ton of miles on it in the 2 years I had it and got a little gunshy once the certified warranty ended. Plus I never quite got used to owning a Buick. Always felt just a tad like a grandpa, even though vehicle was genuinely really nice.

Anyway, in case it’s not obvious, I like yuppie SUVs and I don’t care what that says about me.

I am a car person. I primarily enjoy older cars and go to car shows, but thoroughly enjoy the bells and whistles on new models. However, I decided with my last car purchase that I'd rather put money towards different barrels than my personal vehicle. So went with a quality vehicle that can get me from A to B and was comfortable.

Sounds like you have an disposable income problem which is strange for most HROT posters.

Where do you fit?
I buy vehicles which give me good gas mileage. I have only owned one vehicle since 1977 which did not average over 35 miles per gallon and that was a small pickup which would come close to 30 mpg on the road.

Previously, I owned a Chevy Blazer - never liked it all that much, just never felt comfortable driving it. I currently drive a Kia Forte and love it.

It will be an interesting conundrum when I car hunt again. Most car companies are making fewer sedan models now so I might have to broaden my horizons. The Blazer was on a modified truck bed and I also hated driving my dad's truck. I have less experience with SUVs.

Why would it sound that way? I simply decided to put expensive car money into other endeavors. Thus, removing me from the 60-75K price bracket to the 30k-40K.

If money was no issue you wouldn't need to make that compromise and it was a joke.

I like cars, I like some of the car shows. Loved Top Gear and love The Grand Tour. I'm not all that mechanically inclined so I'm not like a gear head. That and I don't own a car.

I want my car to be nice, and I am adamant about keeping it neat and clean, but I am not at all a "car guy." I like to buy a decent car (currently driving a Honda Accord) brand new, drive it for about eight years, then do it again.

The older I get the less I care. I think this might be my last car. When I retire in a few years we won't really need two cars. On those occasions when we both need to be some place different I'll take a Lyft/Uber. It will free up space in the garage.

No. I do love the sound of the newer 5.0 V8 Mustangs.

I would like a Tesla but I don’t want to spend that much money.

most cars seem to be about the same anymore. Give me leather and Apple Car Play and I would be happy.

I do own a cheap Wrangler. With the doors and roof off it is more fun than any sports car IMO.

I do the majority of my own maintenance on my vehicles so I prefer things I can work on when necessary. I keep them mechanically sound and that's all that really matters to me. I would however like to own the new RAM 2500 with the Cummins turbo diesel for pulling my 5th wheel camper. The problem with that is I despise personal debt and it's hard for me to pull the trigger on 65K for a truck.

What are your thoughts on the Highlander? What year is it?

We got it in 2010. I believe it's a 2009 model. No complaints at all. It's a Hybrid that was purchased at an auction. Really good vehicle. My wife drives it most of the time. We'll probably get another when this one dies. That, or some type of 2-3 yr. old Lexus SUV.

I do the majority of my own maintenance on my vehicles so I prefer things I can work on when necessary. I keep them mechanically sound and that's all that really matters to me. I would however like to own the new RAM 2500 with the Cummins turbo diesel for pulling my 5th wheel camper. The problem with that is I despise personal debt and it's hard for me to pull the trigger on 65K for a truck.

I think it's cool that diesels are rebounding a bit from the VW disaster. The Colorado got one as did the Wrangler and the new Ram does look pretty sweet.

I love cars. Currently on my 5th Audi. When I am in the market for the next one, I look nationwide for something 2-3 years old with as low of mileage as possible. If you're patient, you can save a few grand. I currently have a 2014 S6 that has 80,000 miles on it and it looks brand new. When I am going through a time like now when I am doing a lot of driving on weekends, I look forward to the drive.

I had SUV or minivan for 30 years. Then in 2011 I got a Camry. My next car will be either an Avalon or Lexus sedan.

I recently test drove a Lexus SUV and I immediately told the salesman that my 8 year old Camry had a better ride. I then drove a ES350 (sedan) and it had a much better ride than the RX350 (SUV).

My next car will be either an Avalon or Lexus sedan.

There's only one right answer.

tenor.gif

I think it's cool that diesels are rebounding a bit from the VW disaster. The Colorado got one as did the Wrangler and the new Ram does look pretty sweet.
Yeah I would agree. They have also made really good strides regarding torque, emissions and fuel efficiency. Anymore they get better mileage than their gas counterparts and the difference in towing capabilities is a big plus if you are using them in that manner.

Reactions: ThorneStockton
Yeah I would agree. They have also made really good strides regarding torque, emissions and fuel efficiency. Anymore they get better mileage than their gas counterparts and the difference in towing capabilities is a big plus if you are using them in that manner.

They just usually seem to cost an extra $5K+ or so over the gasoline versions.

Reactions: Hawkeyenuts66
Not much of a car person. It's mostly a way to get from point A to point B for me.

Most guys seem to have a dream car, a car that they would get if they became wealthy and could afford it. For some it's a really expensive sports car and for other's it's a classic car.

I just don't have that. I'd probably get a new minivan because we have 3 kids. Maybe a small electric car for running errands in. Not even a Tesla but more like a Nissan Leaf. That would be about it.

Now I would totally buy a plane and learn to fly it. Probably a Beechcraft King Air 350 or something like it. Maybe even a Learjet 75. But cars. . . I would just get a new minivan and maybe a small electric car.

No. I hate cars. I'm 100% a bike commuter to work. My wife works 8 miles away so she has a 2020 Ascent Touring and our Au Pair has our old 2012 SUV to tote around the three kids. I wasn't going to be a three vehicle family, so I went bike. I know it's not for everyone, but my mental health on a bike vs. in a vehicle, and not just for myself but for the community, neighbors, etc.

I generally view a car as a means to get me from point a to point b, but I do like the vehicle that I have right now & will likely drive it for a long time. It's a 2015 Jeep Wrangler Sport, soft-top. It's fun to drive, especially when the weather is nice & I can put the top down & cruise in it.
As much as I enjoy driving it, it is probably the most impractical vehicle ever. It doesn't get particularly good gas mileage, and on the interstate it rides rough and loud. There's no room to carry much of anything, and it isn't particularly comfortable. The sight lines are lousy when the roof is up. So pretty much everything about it sucks, but I still love to drive it.

Yes.

I'm done driving vehicles that are not comfortable nor not fun to drive. And no, it doesn't take a whole lot of money to accomplish both in one vehicle.

About the only thing I'll "settle" on is practicality. I do need some versatility, but I will not drive some sort of cookie cutter vehicle that makes half a good car and half a good SUV. I'll simply own one real car and one real SUV instead.

but for work and utility purposes and hauling stuff I also own two minivans. so a car person and a minivan person. got 4 vehicles, 2 cars 2 minivans . you guys do not wanna know how many bicycles I got. I don't even know for sure. been a huge bike collector for years. storage is a problem.

2005 Dodge Caravan with 200K miles that usually has all the back seats pulled out. I use it more like a truck. Does that make me a truck guy?

No car payments for a decade.

Where do you fit?
I grew up a car nut. Loved them. Worked on them. Dreamed of the day I'd be able to afford what kind of car I drove. The first car I bought after getting married and out on my own was an MGB roadster. Later, I bought a Plymouth Laser RS Turbo coupe.

I now drive a Kia Sorrento, and before that, a succession of four full-size minivans. Mrs. LC drives her third Subaru wagon.

Life changes.

But I still subscribe to "Car and Driver."

2005 Dodge Caravan with 200K miles that usually has all the back seats pulled out. I use it more like a truck. Does that make me a truck guy?

No car payments for a decade.
It makes you a soccer mom wannabe.

Or so I was told when I was driving a series of Chrysler Town & Countrys.

Where do you fit?
I love nice cars. I wish I knew more about them - my dad wasn't a "fix it" kinda guy, so I never really learned much. Interesting, my kid actually is pretty into cars AND does know a lot about how they work, thanks to his gear-head uncles. It's nice having him as a resource.

Not a car guy.

But I do like to fix ours when needed. Think perhaps I have some aptitude, done some pretty big jobs short of opening the motor.

I take some satisfaction in this. Now to expend effort to "trick out" a car ... lol, no.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT