ADVERTISEMENT

? About future btt in nyc

vgshwk

HB MVP
Sep 1, 2010
I was wondering if the future btt in nyc which is reported to be a week earlier would take into account the daylight savings time change and start a day earlier? A multi day tournament which is now 5 days every hour counts.

Originally posted by soybean:

First, the idea of the BTT in NYC is a bad one.

Exactly. They should make Indy the permanent home. With the addition of MD and Rutgers it's more centrally located. Plus a good set up for this event. Hotels, restaurants and bars all in walking distance of the arena.

As far as the OP comment well there have been more off the wall comments on this board but not many.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

This post was edited on 3/8 9:49 AM by hawkcub

Is there a list somewhere of where future BTT will be held?

What's 2nd? Also what's wrong with having the B1G tourney in New York? I wouldn't mind seeing it rotate each year but assume I'm in the minority on that one.

Also what most people don't realize is to accommodate this means no holiday tournaments for Big teams that year. Also probably weaker non conference schedules as teams can't play during finals week so they will be loading up on the md eastern shores and the like.

Delaney was quoted as saying that someday the
Big Ten Tourney will be held in Madison Square
Garden. He wants the exposure to the bright
lights of New York.

I think the BTT in MSG is mistake. It won't even be the premiere conference tourney in MSG they year, given that it's a week early. Add in the compressed conference schedule, remote location for most fans and likely subpar ticket sales.

I think Delaney will whiff on the bright lights. And I support his moves more than most.

2016 will be in Indy
2017 will be in Washington, DC
2018 will be in MSG, and the championship ending on this Sunday. Think about that for a moment, it will be a long wait for any BIG teams before the NCAA tourney begins.

In 2018, maybe we can schedule an independent (NJIT is only one as of this year) for that week off to keep the team fresh. Playing a week earlier will be strange and I hope the conference doesn't suffer as a result.

I'm fine with the East Coast locations; building the fanbase there is obviously a major goal. Getting the BTN into the northeast would be huge, not only for recruiting exposure but also for $$ that comes back to the schools.

I'm also fine moving up the tournament. A lot of other conferences do it and it seems just fine; having a break after a rough B1G season and tourney would probably be a good thing rather than turning around and starting the tourney a few days later. It can also help the problem that the tourney field is currently seeded and selected prior to the conference tourney being completed.

Originally posted by hexumhawk:

I like Chicago as an Iowa fan; easier to travel to and more Iowa fans present for games.
Agreed. I think NY will be a disaster personally for the BTT. Chicago and Indy are in driving distance to go for a day or 2, NYC is not for the majority of the Big 10 foot print.

No other P5 conference plays their conference tournament that early. Yes, mid-major conferences do that. Just don't think it's a good idea by Delaney, just to showcase the tourney in NYC.

Here are the conference tourneys that completed this past weekend, which is when NYC will happen:

Atlantic Sun (North Florida!)
Big South (Coastal Carolina)
MVC (UNI)
Ohio Valley (Belmont)

So, that is who the B1G wants to associate with.

Originally posted by fivecardstud14:

What's 2nd? Also what's wrong with having the B1G tourney in New York? I wouldn't mind seeing it rotate each year but assume I'm in the minority on that one.

2nd - Its a week too early.
3rd - The BIG10 is not a New York state based/centered conference.
4th - NYC is way too expensive for the average fan
5th - NYC is full of NYC folks...the will make that week miserable for everyone involved.

The attendance will be terrible at MSG for these games. The closest school, Rutgers has a bad basketball tradition and won't draw much and the rest are too far away. I could see games with like 5,000 people there. It will look terrible on TV. It just makes no sense. Delaney is such an east coast whore at this point, it doesn't surprise me.

The 1 hour time change the day before the final is the smallest problem. Although with the final you could always just try to put it in prime time if the network accommodates (ESPN probably would, but CBS probably would not). Besides, both teams are up against this anyway. New York and the Northeast have a ton of alumni from, well, everywhere. It's nice for them I suppose.

Someone needs to ask Mr. Delaney if the BTT is just for market share or is it for Big Ten fans? No reason to have it in New York, period.

Originally posted by Recruiting Violation:
In 2018, maybe we can schedule an independent (NJIT is only one as of this year) for that week off to keep the team fresh. Playing a week earlier will be strange and I hope the conference doesn't suffer as a result.
I'd bet the B1G will be playing regular season games after the BTT in 2018.

5th - NYC is full of NYC folks...the will make that week miserable for everyone involved.
Hey now, just walk fast, don't talk to us and don't take up two seats on the subway and nobody needs to get stabbed.

Only reason the BTT in MSG is a week earlier is schedule conflict at MSG, it is already booked for some other conference.

Originally posted by vgshwk:
I was wondering if the future btt in nyc which is reported to be a week earlier would take into account the daylight savings time change and start a day earlier? A multi day tournament which is now 5 days every hour counts.

I think they have to skip the tournament every 35 years to make up for that.

This post was edited on 3/9 12:34 PM by Madman_1

Originally posted by whatsup12579er:
I'd bet everything I own that this will not happen.

I don't think this is even possible or allowed

I like the idea of the BT Tournament in NYC:
1. It's the media capital of the world. No other major conference will be holding a tournament then. We'll have the stage to ourselves. Branding anyone?
2. 100,000 BT alumni live in the area. My daughter, a Wisco grad (no pics) tells me lots of Badger fans turned out for the football game with Rutgers (she and a former roommate went) and she noticed a lot of Hawkeye gear near MSG when Iowa played in the NIT. Fans will show up.
3. Who cares if it's not in the BT footprint? What holiday tournament have we been to that was in the BT footprint? What bowl game have we been to that was in the BT footprint?
4. There are plenty of bars and hotel rooms within walking distance of MSG.

I get it, it's a gamble. It could fail. But I think it's worth the effort.

Will you elaborate? I'm intrigued at how this would work.

I guess, in theory, the BTT could be played at any time without seeding. Maybe it should be played in December?

In a recent interview Delaney explained why the push for Madison Square Garden.

"New York Is where I'd rather stay! I get allergic smelling hay. I just adore a penthouse view, Darling I love you but give me Park Avenue!"

th

Originally posted by theIowaHawk:

Will you elaborate? I'm intrigued at how this would work.

I guess, in theory, the BTT could be played at any time without seeding. Maybe it should be played in December?
As a history lesson for you youngens out there, the Big Eight used to do that. At the time, they didn't have a post-season tourney and only the regular season champ went to to the NCAAs. Looks like 1979 season was the last time they did it.

Originally posted by SoMplsHawkI:
1. It's the media capital of the world. No other major conference will be holding a tournament then. We'll have the stage to ourselves. Branding anyone?
Why compete with any of the conferences, even small conferences holding their tournament the same weekend? Have the conference tourny in January! They can brand the hell out of that.

The B1G is one of the premier conferences in the country. Act like it.

Originally posted by OC_Hawk:

Originally posted by SoMplsHawkI:

The B1G is one of the premier conferences in the country.
In that case don't you think we should hold our tournament on the premier stage?

This post was edited on 3/10 10:20 AM by SoMplsHawkI

Out of the box thought...

For 2018(and maybe future years), split the tourney into East & West Divisions (7 in each) One played in Chicago and one in NYC (or in the future DC).
Play on the weekend before NCAA selection Sunday. Then the #1 & #2 in each division play in Indy on the following weekend just before the NCAA selection. #1s get first game bye.

I would probably play first round Sat.- Monday but any 2 days would work (Fri/Sun...Sat/Sun...Sun/Tues) with the finals played on Fri/Sun. or Sat/Sun (depending on TV $$$) with East #1 vs, West #2 and W#1 vs E#2.

Certain teams would be locked into a region. Neb. Iowa. Minn. Wisc. Northwestern and Illinois in the West. Rutgers, Maryland, Penn St. Ohio State and Mich. in the east.

Mich St., Indy and Purdue would be floaters to even up the brackets determined by Big Ten.

This year it would look like this:

#1 Wisc Maryland
#2 Purdue Mich State
#3 Iowa Ohio State
#4 Illinois Indiana
#5 Minn Mich.
#6 Northw. Penn St.
#7 Neb. Rutgers

Not ideal but I think it would work pretty well. Also, the same format could work when the 10 turns into 16.

Originally posted by BeepBeepInMyJeep:
I think the most likely scenario is Big Ten schools playing OOC games between the end of the Big Ten Tournament and the start of the NCAA and/or NIT tournaments.

Originally posted by Legend12:
Originally posted by BeepBeepInMyJeep:
I think the most likely scenario is Big Ten schools playing OOC games between the end of the Big Ten Tournament and the start of the NCAA and/or NIT tournaments.
Except that every other major school in the country will be playing in their own conference tournament during that week.

That leaves the ultimate scrub leagues like the Valley and SoCon for some cupcake games. They'd be better off just scrimmaging some other B1G teams.

This post was edited on 3/10 4:56 PM by Buck.McCoy

Originally posted by JRHawk2003:
The attendance will be terrible at MSG for these games.
Cause tonight's Rutgers Minnesota game was a sell out...

Originally posted by wneff:
They are taking it into account. My recollection is that they are starting it a week early.

True...which makes it a very dumb decision competitively......it's not about that though. It's about $$$$'s and east coast exposure......at least that's how Jim Delany see's it.

Faulty logic

1) New Yorkers don't give a crap about the B1G tourney and just holding it in NYC doesn't increase exposure. There are these neet things called television and the internet that provide exposure just fine Jim.

2) $$$$$$'s.....I fail to see how holding it in NY increases $$$$'s......only connection is if it increases exposure/fanbase for the B1G and I don't see this doing that.

3) Other than crap conferences.....who moves up their conference tournament a week? Seriously.....blows my mind.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT