ADVERTISEMENT

About that Game of Thrones ending

disagree with your 2nd paragraph. Dany the savior and her savior army turned into hitler backed by ISIS because Jon spurned her. Pure crap.
They had given a few hints for her eventual madness but yeah it wasn’t nearly enough to justify the heel-turn they made with the character. The Unsullied had long been shown as fanatically devoted to her so saying that they would have gone along with her no matter what I didn’t have an issue with.

They did have fire swords. What else should they have done?
Basically, funneled the undead army into breaches in an outer wall, maybe a mile out from the main force, so they couldn't form effective phalanx lines. Set the Dothraki into small hunter groups of 4-6 to roam an area in front of the human's main battle force. They would roam this region on their horses picking off as many undead as they could as the came through the breaches relatively unorganized. They would eventually have gotten overrun but they would have done considerable damage in that time and would have time to retreat with minimal casualties.

Reactions: Tenacious E
Basically, funneled the undead army into breaches in an outer wall, maybe a mile out from the main force, so they couldn't form effective phalanx lines. Set the Dothraki into small hunter groups of 4-6 to roam an area in front of the human's main battle force. They would roam this region on their horses picking off as many undead as they could as the came through the breaches relatively unorganized. They would eventually have gotten overrun but they would have done considerable damage in that time and would have time to retreat with minimal casualties.
I still like the storyline theory of how it would all go down prior to episode 3, expounded on here and on the interwebs, that the army of dead taking on Winterfell would be tough but beat down fairly easy and they would realize it was because it was diversion and main group went to Kings Landing. Then kings landing would be leveled and Cersei made an ice Queen episode 4. Then a giant showdown final battle last two episodes.

disagree with your 2nd paragraph. Dany the savior and her savior army turned into hitler backed by ISIS because Jon spurned her. Pure crap.
The signs of Dany's paranoia and ruthlessness where there all along, that whole thing needed to be fleshed out more to make it more acceptable since she went from hero to Hitler way too fast. She crucified all the Masters, showing them no mercy. She BBQ'd that one Lord and his son because they wouldn't bend the knee. She burned all the Dothraki in that temple scene where she comes out of the flames buck naked. She was ruthless, but she had always been on our team so we forgave it and cheered it on.

Reactions: sober_teacher
I still like the storyline theory of how it would all go down prior to episode 3, expounded on here and on the interwebs, that the army of dead taking on Winterfell would be tough but beat down fairly easy and they would realize it was because it was diversion and main group went to Kings Landing. Then kings landing would be leveled and Cersei made an ice Queen episode 4. Then a giant showdown final battle last two episodes.
That could have worked, for sure.

Reactions: noleclone2
Well, I’d have tried to find a way to attack them in the daylight so they could see who they were fighting.

as it happened, they should have had fire pits dug all over the place, both to direct the undead and to see by.

Reactions: BioHawk
The signs of Dany's paranoia and ruthlessness where there all along, that whole thing needed to be fleshed out more to make it more acceptable since she went from hero to Hitler way too fast. She crucified all the Masters, showing them no mercy. She BBQ'd that one Lord and his son because they wouldn't bend the knee. She burned all the Dothraki in that temple scene where she comes out of the flames buck naked. She was ruthless, but she had always been on our team so we forgave it and cheered it on.
She didn’t murder innocent women and children

I think everyone involved with the show were getting tired of it and wanted to move on to new things. 8 seasons is a long time to ask an actor to be committed to a show that takes that much time.

I think many of Martin's comments also show that he's grown tired of writing the books and that he now sees it as a chore. He continually calls it "wrestling Kong". He created a massive world which was the beautiful part but has since realized he doesn't know how to bring it all to a close. He needs to abandon probably 6 storylines he had created and focus on just brining the final set pieces to play. Leave those remaining storylines to spin-offs, etc...

Sci Fi / Fantasy should only be for nerds and outcasts. Too many cool kids got into GoT, that is where this all went wrong.

Looks like for the first time ever, George R R Martin is publicly distancing himself from stuff after season 5 and saying they went off the plot lines he gave them. Also he reportedly had flown to New York to meet with HBO to push for 10 seasons / 100 episodes which is quite the contrast to the final 7 and 8 year, both shortened.

And probably the biggest thing, he never told the writer who wins the iron throne.

To me, this I think confirms what many of the fans, myself included, felt about the last season or two: the entire group, writers, production and cast were tired of it and wanted to be done which led to a rushed ending and thin plot lines that contrasted with the prior 6 seasons.

I really hope he can find away to finish the series in his vision, but I doubt he will.

Haas also insisted that Martin has “not told anybody” who wins the Iron Throne, despite previous claims from Benioff and Weiss that the HBO show’s ending – in which Bran Stark becomes Ruler of the Six Kingdoms – came from Martin himself.

In 2018, Martin told Variety he didn't know why the show was ending with season eight because there was enough material to go up to 13 seasons. But Haas' quotes in "Tinderbox" marks the first time any specifics have been revealed about how Martin made requests to HBO for more seasons.

"Dan and Dave were tired, rightfully so," Haas said in Miller's book. "They were done, and wanted to move on, so they cut it short and then negotiations became, how many seasons can we stretch this out? Because of course HBO wanted more

All of it also matches the infamous horse painting MEME of GOT!!!!

451a14c87b642847ea1fe4be389839f2.jpg
Maybe the asshat could shut up and finish the books?

Maybe the asshat could shut up and finish the books?
I found this summary on Wikipedia crazy: 10 years kicking the can.

In April 2011, shortly before the publication of A Dance with Dragons, which took him six years to write, Martin hoped that "the last two books will go a little quicker than this one has" and estimated that it would take "three years to finish the next one at a good pace".[45][46] By October 2012, 400 pages of the sixth novel had been written, although Martin considered only the first 200 as "really finished", the rest still needing revisions.[47] In April 2013, Martin estimated that he had a quarter of the book.[48] In the past, Martin has angered some of his fan base for repeatedly estimating his publication dates too optimistically; therefore, he has refrained from making hard estimates for The Winds of Winter's final release date.[2]

In April 2015, Martin said he would like to have it published before the sixth season of the HBO series Game of Thrones(which was to cover material from the book) aired in 2016;[49][50] in September 2015, statements made by the Spanish editor and the Polish translator of the novel indicated that it was expected to be published in 2016.[51][52][53][54]

In January 2016, Martin confirmed that he had not met an end-of-year deadline that he had established with his publisher for release of the book before the sixth season of the HBO show. He added that completion of the book was "months away still... if the writing goes well". Martin also revealed there had been a previous deadline of October 2015 that he had considered achievable in May 2015, and that in September 2015 he had still considered the end-of-year deadline achievable. He confirmed that some of the plot of the book might be revealed in the upcoming season of Game of Thrones[55] but one of the showrunners, David Benioff, claimed that while certain key elements would be the same, the show would diverge from the book in many respects.[56]In February 2016, Martin stated that he had dropped all his editing projects except for Wild Cards, and that he would not be writing any teleplays, screenplays, short stories, introductions or forewords before delivering The Winds of Winter.[57]

In 2017, Martin believed that The Winds of Winter would be released that same year. However, he also noted that he had believed the same thing would occur the previous year,[42][58][59] and later that year he confirmed he was "still months away" from finishing the book, indicating it may not be published until 2018 or later, with Fire & Blood, the book on the history of House Targaryen, possibly preceding it.[60] In April 2018, Martin confirmed that Fire & Bloodwould be published before The Winds of Winter, which would not be published in 2018;[61] he indicated that Fire & Blood was the book his publisher wanted next.[62]Since then, he has confirmed at least four times in 2018 that he was continuing work on The Winds of Winter.[63][64][65][66] In April 2019, Martin said that the writing "has been going very well lately",[67] and in May he wrote that if he did not have a copy of The Winds of Winterin hand for 2020 Worldcon New Zealand, Air New Zealandhas his permission to imprison him on New Zealand's White Island until he finishes it.[68][69] In October 2019, Martin said he hoped to finish The Winds of Winter "in the relatively near future",[70] and after a Game of Thronesprequel, House of the Dragon, of which Martin is one of the executive producers, was announced,[71] he stated that there was a lot of work to be done on the series but that he would not write any scripts for the series before finishing The Winds of Winter.[72]

In an interview published in January 2020, Martin said that while he was still working on The Winds of Winter, his primary focus, he also continues[73] working with Nnedi Okorafor on a TV adaptation of her science fantasy novel Who Fears Death,[74] for which he agreed to be executive producer in 2017.[75] In March and April 2020, Martin stated that he was writing The Winds of Winter every day.[76][77] In February 2021, Martin said he had written "hundreds and hundreds of pages" of The Winds of Winter in 2020 but that even though it had been the most productive year with regard to The Winds of Winter, he still had hundreds of pages to write; although he was hopeful of finishing in 2021, he did not want to make any predictions.[78]

The bbq’d lord and son weren’t just nobodies either, that was the Tarley family. Sam becomes lord there essentially if he wasn’t both a Meister and member of the nights watch

What's it been now, 4 years since we first were hearing Book 6 was going to be finished? I haven't heard one word about that book being done in over a year.
I think it is closer to 6-7 years. Book 5 was released in 2011. I had a co-worker I used to discuss the books with, and she left a long time ago.
I finished book 5 and my brother recommended the Wheel of Time series to me. I have read that twice since I finished book 5.

Reactions: Tom Paris
I think it is closer to 6-7 years. Book 5 was released in 2011. I had a co-worker I used to discuss the books with, and she left a long time ago.
I finished book 5 and my brother recommended the Wheel of Time series to me. I have read that twice since I finished book 5.
Will you be watching Wheel of Time? Curious how good it is and how it compares to GOT. I know they are different premises as WOT is more “magic” and GOT was more political, but I believe GOT was a spin-off from those books.

Will you be watching Wheel of Time? Curious how good it is and how it compares to GOT. I know they are different premises as WOT is more “magic” and GOT was more political, but I believe GOT was a spin-off from those books.
I need to give it a shot. It has been a busy last couple of weeks and haven't started it yet. First review of it that I saw was negative, but it was also obvious that the person that wrote it did not read the books, so there was that.

I need to give it a shot. It has been a busy last couple of weeks and haven't started it yet. First review of it that I saw was negative, but it was also obvious that the person that wrote it did not read the books, so there was that.
Don’t stop before you get though episode 4. Episode 4 was quite good.

I’m hate watching WOT right now. It’s not on par to GOT, but it’s not terrible either. It’s flashy, you can’t tell a lot of money was spent on it. My biggest gripe is the tone and pace issues. GOT did a great job sticking close to the books, WOT is taking more liberties.

I have little sympathy for Martin here. He left the show runners hanging by not working harder on the books, and I don’t believe him that the show runners just disregarded the notes he left them completely.

I fall in the camp of hating how they got to the ending, but thinking the ending itself was fine. It’s REALLY difficult for any show that had such high quality for so much of its run, develop such a devoted fan base, and stick the landing in such a way as to make all of them happy.

The ending was “fine”? All of the nobles fighting amongst themselves agree to make a weirdo cripple influenced/maybe controlled by magic by the race that created white walkers the overall high king just because he doesn’t have working balls? That’s a fine ending? One where Jon just walks up to join the wildlings because there’s no spot for him…the leader of an army that saved humanity and former dragon rider?

Don’t stop before you get though episode 4. Episode 4 was quite good.

Nah, I stopped recommending GOT to people. There’s actually better fantasy series out there: The Magicians (especially after the first season that was TOO Harry Potter), The Witcher, The Vikings (quasi real history mixed with a lot of made up bardic lore), and Shadow & Bone are all better. The Wheel of Time MAY end up being better but definitely started slower and less professional. And I do have hope for the LOTR series down the road.

The ending was “fine”? All of the nobles fighting amongst themselves agree to make a weirdo cripple influenced/maybe controlled by magic by the race that created white walkers the overall high king just because he doesn’t have working balls? That’s a fine ending? One where Jon just walks up to join the wildlings because there’s no spot for him…the leader of an army that saved humanity and former dragon rider?
Everyone was exhausted at that point, Kings landing was in ruins, half the major houses were either decimated or wiped out, the North was going to breakaway under Sansa…they could have given better reasoning sure, but making Bran king as a one-off to allow time for people to recover was acceptable to me. And Jon was happiest beyond the Wall. He’d only begrudgingly become Commander of the Night’s Watch and raised army to liberate Winterfell. Him staying in Westeros meant more death and he didn’t want that, so that was probably the part that made the most sense.

Honestly, I’d love a sequel series based like 50 years after the end of this series, when everyone is either dead or old, Bran is gone, and everyone vies for the throne again.

Nah, I stopped recommending GOT to people. There’s actually better fantasy series out there: The Magicians (especially after the first season that was TOO Harry Potter), The Witcher, The Vikings (quasi real history mixed with a lot of made up bardic lore), and Shadow & Bone are all better. The Wheel of Time MAY end up being better but definitely started slower and less professional. And I do have hope for the LOTR series down the road.
Vikings is better and we have seen that. Witcher was okay. Appreciate the rec on the Magicians - I had not heard of that...

I couldn't disagree more. The first 5 seasons of GOT are the my favorite of any show of all time. They went off the rails after they passed Martin. The Vikings is good, and The Witcher was also, but they are in a different class than GOT for me. The rest you mentioned are pure garbage IMO. I put less emphasis on the ending and more about the great road getting there.

Reactions: Chuck C
I couldn't disagree more. The first 5 seasons of GOT are the my favorite of any show of all time. They went off the rails after they passed Martin. The Vikings is good, and The Witcher was also, but they are in a different class than GOT for me. The rest you mentioned are pure garbage IMO. I put less emphasis on the ending and more about the great road getting there.
I took his response as having a typo and that he could not recommend WOT, not GOT, since I was referring to getting through episode 4 of WOT. As for GOT, I don't care how it ended, the series as a whole was incredible and a treasure.

Reactions: Bonerfarts
I would add that the Masters she crucified tried to kill her first. Many times. Tarley and son were roasted after not bending the knee, but more importantly, after trying to kill her. She burned the Dothraki in the temple after they attempted to kill her, or would have killed her. She committed modern day war crimes in not taking prisoners, but she did not simply indiscriminately kill innocents. Not TOO long before that she and Tyrion mused they both had terrible fathers, and that they would try to not be like them. So the episode where she goes ape shit after Jon won't kiss her, and proactively kills thousands if not hundreds of thousands of innocent women and children who posed no threat to her (not just as collateral damage but intended victims as the occupants of the city to be reduced to ashes) - at all - was wholly incompatible with every bit of character development shown over the previous decade.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT