ADVERTISEMENT

ACA Upheld

Get started on an Obamacare rant. I would like to see the misinformation you want to post.
I don't want to post any misinformation -- like claiming you can keep your doctor, or you can keep your insurance plan, or your premiums will go down, or anything like that. Lying about Obamacare is the president's job.

One of the reasons for longer wait times for appointments is that more people have health coverage and are able to make appointments to see a doctor (roughly unchanged numbers), rather than waiting till it becomes a critical situation and end up in the emergency department. More people are willing to go for preventive care, so the wait for everyone is a bit longer. In the long run, this will lead (in my opinion) to fewer emergency room visits for conditions that may have been preventable.

Another side-effect of the ACA though, is excessive paper work which is ironic since we're supposed to be heading toward an 'all-electronic' format.

EDIT: Nole, I was typing obviously as you responded. You hit the 'nails on the head'. More patients and more paperwork.
So far the numbers on emergency room visits do not bare out your central point. They are up or flat compared to where they were.

Good points. You would think employers would be leading the charge to get out of the health insurance business as soon as possible. It would certainly cut their operating expenses a great deal.

And do what - leave health insurance to the government... oh that would work out so very well...

Just so I'm clear the delay in seeing a doctor is not a "bit" longer, it's two months longer. This is not an acceptable side effect of Obamacare. It is a de facto rationing which is a natural by product of socialization of an industry.

The reason I went to the doctor was because I got gout. The pain in my foot was tremendous and being told the doc can squeeze you in in a couple of months is ridiculous.

Contrast that with the veterinary practice. If I want to get my dog in to see a doctor that's no problem. I can get in before the end of the day or the next day at worst. Why should dogs get better access to doctors than people? Obamacare sucks. There is no other way to look at it.
Maybe you should move. Both my wife and I had to see our internist last month. I got in the next day. She got in the same day.

Just so I'm clear the delay in seeing a doctor is not a "bit" longer, it's two months longer. This is not an acceptable side effect of Obamacare. It is a de facto rationing which is a natural by product of socialization of an industry.

The reason I went to the doctor was because I got gout. The pain in my foot was tremendous and being told the doc can squeeze you in in a couple of months is ridiculous.

Contrast that with the veterinary practice. If I want to get my dog in to see a doctor that's no problem. I can get in before the end of the day or the next day at worst. Why should dogs get better access to doctors than people? Obamacare sucks. There is no other way to look at it.
The problem is that your issue is not the case across the country. It certainly could be a function of where you live. The scheduling may not be as efficient; the ability to manage the 'paper-work' may be less efficient; more patients trying to see said doctor. There are many reasons for the delay, only some of which may be an unintended result of the ACA; certainly not 100% of the reasons.

So far the numbers on emergency room visits do not bare out your central point. They are up or flat compared to where they were.
I believe I said "long-term". Short-term, I doubt there would be much change. I know Obama et al touted there would be a sudden drop in emergency department visits, but I wasn't sold on that part of the benefits of the ACA. It will take time for people to actually change their behavior; using family doctors or 'insta-care clinics' vs. emergency departments for everyday needs. I don't think you'll see a marked decline for at least another 3-5 years.

Now, one thing about the static (if not increased) number of ER visits, hospitals are getting reimbursed at a somewhat higher rate under the ACA for each of these visits (at least according to some data I've had access to).

Last edited:
Before the Republicans dedicated themselves to destroying it, we used to have twice daily delivery. But don't let reality get in the way of your delusions and dogma.

Twice daily delivery isn't a very good example of efficiency.

Actually, quite the opposite.

Twice daily delivery isn't a very good example of efficiency.

Actually, quite the opposite.
Why is efficiency the appropriate measure. Twice daily may not scream efficiency but you know what it does scream? SERVICE to the people and businesses.

I don't know why I let Dawg get away with that criterion shift.

Why is efficiency the appropriate measure. Twice daily may not scream efficiency but you know what it does scream? SERVICE to the people and businesses.

I don't know why I let Dawg get away with that criterion shift.

You guys were biting back and forth and efficiency was the term used.

I tried to stay on topic.

You guys were biting back and forth and efficiency was the term used.

I tried to stay on topic.
No . . . Actually, he was talking about delays. Here's the part I responded to:

"Just so I'm clear the delay in seeing a doctor is not a "bit" longer, it's two months longer. This is not an acceptable side effect of Obamacare. It is a de facto rationing which is a natural by product of socialization of an industry. "

I challenged the common wingnut meme that "socialization" causes delays and rationing by using obvious counter-examples.

This statement is truly sad. This isn't just about healthcare, it is about the make up of the government and how the branches are supposed to work. That is getting turned on it's head and for people like you, it is great because one law got upheld and you have only one group of folks now making the laws, which is the Supreme Court so your elected officials really have no power anymore.

I see how your coming to this point but in reality the government is not making any new laws. Congress does not even operate anymore. The president and congress havent spoken in about 4 years so i guess the SCOTUS is the only functioning arm of the federal government.

There have to be ways to mold the ACA into a working universal health system. This current government will not find anything close to that.

I dont see how the ACA is anything like a single payer. Its a gift to insurance companies. I dont think its really that big a change for most people from the old system.

If we went single payer, You just expand Medicare to everyone. Its pretty simple. You have a baseline level of care for everyone and allow for supplemental insurance for higher levels of care or specialized care. It would take it off the backs of employers for the most part. I have no idea why people are soooo opposed to this. The countries that have it have better outcomes, spend less on care as a % of GDP, and are more satisfied. Canada is not a true single payer system. The UK is.

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2013/01/nhs-even-more-cherished-monarchy-and-army

Reactions: naturalmwa
well, there was during the time of the gruber leak, which was way after the fact

this administration does the deed , then lets it leak much later, like two or three years later, that's their m.o.

Sooooo...the admin included this turn of phrase to force the states to set up their own exchanges then kept it secret even AFTER states opted for the feds to set up their exchanges and nary a single one of those states bothered to expose the admin strong-arming?

Sure...that's EXACTLY what happened.

Maybe you should see your vet about your gout.

Maybe you should see your vet about your gout.

In see her every day (I'm married to her). She is as flabbergasted as me about the inability to see a doctor. In fact she tells me she can prescribe the medicine I need with no problem as dogs use it as well but won't.

In her practice no animal has to wait more than a couple of days to see a doctor. Ever.

I look at rulings like this from Roberts as indicators that, unlike some cons, he actually wants what's best for America. This is twice when he has voted to keep this plan afloat when striking it down or crippling it would have caused a lot of harm.

Sounds like the right priorities, even though I may not agree with him about what's best for America all that often.

What's next?

Roberts will always side with what is best for big business and this is a big big win for big business.

In see her every day (I'm married to her). She is as flabbergasted as me about the inability to see a doctor. In fact she tells me she can prescribe the medicine I need with no problem as dogs use it as well but won't.

In her practice no animal has to wait more than a couple of days to see a doctor. Ever.

Then you need a different doctor. I have never had to wait more than a week to see mine when it was "urgent". Ever. And if it is truly "urgent", I can go to "urgent care" and it's covered.

Reactions: dgordo
As long as people keep saying "health care" when they're talking about health insurance, rational thought and action is doomed.

You keep posting this nonsense. Insurance and care are intertwined into this country. There really is no debate. Six months ago, I needed a new physician as mine retired. I called the office of my first choice whose receptionist said he wasn't taking new patients but she would give him my information and see what he said. Part of my information was insurance status. Two days later I was accepted as a new patient. Do you really think I would have been accepted if I would have said I was private pay?

There should be a simultaneous debate in this country about healthcare delivery, quality, and cost (paying for it). They cannot or at least shouldn't be separated.

This is actually good news for Republicans, and it seems a few of the right-leaning justices realized this.

As ACA continues to work and provide millions of Americans the opportunity to now access healthcare, had the GOP gotten their way and disabled it - they would have suffered greatly at the polls for years.

When did people in this country stop having access to health care? They can go to a hospital, their doctor or urgent care at any time. No one is preventing them from doing so.

I think you're referring to health insurance as that's what this is about. Again, anyone can buy health insurance in this country. There is no one physically preventing them from getting insurance.

Then you need a different doctor. I have never had to wait more than a week to see mine when it was "urgent". Ever. And if it is truly "urgent", I can go to "urgent care" and it's covered.
That's exactly right. If you already have a working relationship with your physician he or she should always be able squeeze you in. If one of my pts has an issue I can always work them in on my clinic days within a week or so. Otherwise, I don't hesitate to consult with a colleague and ask if he or she can work the pt into one of their clinic slots. Granted we have residents doing much of the exam, but there are always ways around "delays."

Dont-Believe-Everything-You-Read-on-Internet.jpg

http://www.monticello.org/site/jefferson/government-big-enough-give-you-everything-you-wantquotation

So are you saying don't believe your post?
No, he is saying you are spreading a lie, was it intentional or in error?

Quotation: "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have."

Variations:

1. "If your government is big enough to give you everything you want, it is big enough to take away everything you have."
  2. “Any government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take away everything you have."
  3. "Government that is big enough to give everything you need and want is also strong enough to take it away."
  4. "Any government powerful enough to give the people all that they want is also powerful enough to take from the people all that they have."

Earliest known appearance in print: 1952 1

Earliest known appearance in print, attributed to Jefferson: 20052

Comments: Neither this quotation nor any of its variant forms has been found in the writings of Thomas Jefferson. Its first known appearance in print was in 1953, although it is most likely older. It appeared frequently in newspapers in the 1950s (usually unattributed), and was even used in political cartoons. It was copyrighted in 1957 by the General Features Corporation, as part of a syndicated newspaper feature called "Today's Chuckle." It later became a popular saying among Republican politicians. Governor Harold W. Handley of Indiana used it in his annual message to the Indiana General Assembly in 1961;3 Barry Goldwater was quoted using it in his 1964 run for president;4 and Gerald Ford is on record using it in an address to a joint session of Congress on August 12, 1974.5 It was attributed to Ford as early as 1954, however,6 and Ford's assistant, Robert Hartmann, said that Ford claimed to have heard the quotation "early in his political career" from Harvard McClain at the Economic Club of Chicago.7

This quotation was not attributed to Jefferson until relatively recently. It is sometimes followed by, "The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases," which is most likely a misquotation of Jefferson's comment, "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yeild, and government to gain ground."8

- Anna Berkes, 2007; revised 1/21/13
http://www.monticello.org/site/jefferson/government-big-enough-give-you-everything-you-wantquotation

No, he is saying you are spreading a lie, was it intentional or in error?

Quotation: "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have."

Variations:

1. "If your government is big enough to give you everything you want, it is big enough to take away everything you have."
  2. “Any government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take away everything you have."
  3. "Government that is big enough to give everything you need and want is also strong enough to take it away."
  4. "Any government powerful enough to give the people all that they want is also powerful enough to take from the people all that they have."

Earliest known appearance in print: 1952 1

Earliest known appearance in print, attributed to Jefferson: 20052

Comments: Neither this quotation nor any of its variant forms has been found in the writings of Thomas Jefferson. Its first known appearance in print was in 1953, although it is most likely older. It appeared frequently in newspapers in the 1950s (usually unattributed), and was even used in political cartoons. It was copyrighted in 1957 by the General Features Corporation, as part of a syndicated newspaper feature called "Today's Chuckle." It later became a popular saying among Republican politicians. Governor Harold W. Handley of Indiana used it in his annual message to the Indiana General Assembly in 1961;3 Barry Goldwater was quoted using it in his 1964 run for president;4 and Gerald Ford is on record using it in an address to a joint session of Congress on August 12, 1974.5 It was attributed to Ford as early as 1954, however,6 and Ford's assistant, Robert Hartmann, said that Ford claimed to have heard the quotation "early in his political career" from Harvard McClain at the Economic Club of Chicago.7

This quotation was not attributed to Jefferson until relatively recently. It is sometimes followed by, "The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases," which is most likely a misquotation of Jefferson's comment, "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yeild, and government to gain ground."8

- Anna Berkes, 2007; revised 1/21/13

So is he spreading lies as well (intentionally or in error)? Or are you just too deep into him that you have to post for him?

It was on the internet so it must be true...

And honestly, I don't care whose picture is next to the quote - the meaning of the quote holds true.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT