ADVERTISEMENT

Acoustic guitar people

Feb 9, 2013
How difficult is it to do your own set up on an acoustic? i see people talking about shaving the saddle to lower the action - makes me nervous to do anything I can’t undo.

Thanks for any tips or tricks

vFBP7Ca.gif

Have you messed with the truss rod yet? Getting smaller diameter strings will lower action too, going from 12 to 11 be cause it lowers the overall tension and reduces the bow. But you may need to adjust the truss for that too if it gives too much relief. I would also just Google how much a replacement saddle costs for your model of guitar. Typically they aren't much like 10ish dollars. When I setup some of my own acoustics in the past I just sanded the saddle down by going back and forth on sandpaper a little bit at a time, put it back on, tested the action, and if it was still too high I would do a little more.

Have you messed with the truss rod yet? Getting smaller diameter strings will lower action too, going from 12 to 11 be cause it lowers the overall tension and reduces the bow. But you may need to adjust the truss for that too if it gives too much relief. I would also just Google how much a replacement saddle costs for your model of guitar. Typically they aren't much like 10ish dollars. When I setup some of my own acoustics in the past I just sanded the saddle down by going back and forth on sandpaper a little bit at a time, put it back on, tested the action, and if it was still too high I would do a little more.
Thanks! I was thinking exactly that - a truss rod adjustment and lighter strings first and see if that lowered the action and made it a little easier/more comfortable.

Reactions: jasonrann and Moral
I am nothing more than a campfire/fishing trip/garage jammer, but I think my determining factor would be what's the value of guitar I am trying to set-up my myself? A $300 Fender or something? No big deal, but I would be nervous to mess with anything of real value myself.

***not acoustic, but I found this gif funny:

girl-on-boat-guitar.gif

I am nothing more than a campfire/fishing trip/garage jammer, but I think my determining factor would be what's the value of guitar I am trying to set-up my myself? A $300 Fender or something? No big deal, but I would be nervous to mess with anything of real value myself.

***not acoustic, but I found this gif funny:

girl-on-boat-guitar.gif
It’s a Taylor acoustic. Bought it for about $500.

Reactions: JustSayOV
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT