ADVERTISEMENT

Actress Susan Sarandon on Coupling Relationships

Originally posted by slieb85:

Originally posted by UIHawkGrad:

Originally posted by aflachawk:
Originally posted by hawkbleeder:

Originally posted by BubsFinn:
Perhaps if the "wisdom" about relationships came from someone other than a person who has never been in a truly committed relationship, the old, white, self-proclaimed "conservative" men might take it a little more seriously. 
I don't give a shit if Susan Sarandon is in a relationship with a blender; as long as she's not telling me how I should live my life.
But of course that's what liberals do, tell us how to live our lives.  Drink this, eat that, don't do this...and that was before these control freaks were running healthcare (having stolen it on a Christmas Eve vote without one single vote from the Right).
Well stated. All libs do is make rules for others to follow(after all it's for their own good) look no further than Michelle's school lunch fiasco. Telling kids they need to eat food they do not like and ending up throwing it away
Posted from Rivals Mobile
You guys do realize that Sarandon's comments are the opposite of rules, and it's you, old, white, crusty, midwestern, conservative, men, who are trying to push your societal norms onto others.

As to the nonsense above about societal norms ruining black communities now that there's not as much racism, maybe, just maybe, black families would generally include fathers at a higher percentage if we didn't incarcerate them at such a high rate?
So those black fathers were married to the black mothers of their children before they committed the crimes that lead to their incarceration?

Might want to do a little research and think about this more before you play the race card. Typical liberal mindset. Personal responsibility be damned! It is someone else's fault.
Marriage is a prerequisite for being a good father?

May want to do some research yourself. Look back at the beginning of the war on drugs. Check out the statistics on single mothers in black communities. Then look at the numbers of black males that have been incarcerated since the start of the war on drugs. Then look at the statistics for single mothers in black communities today.

Hopefully, you can then learn that it's not a "race card" that anyone is playing, it's reality.

As was already said. Nothing like a bunch of crusty, old, white, republican men to tell people how to live their lives. PARTY OF FREEDOM!!!!
How many of these wrongfully incarcerated black men were married before they had children and committed the crimes that caused them to be incarcerated?

Marriage is a familial, emotional and legal commitment not only to their spouse but also the children they produce. That cannot be taken lightly. It is easy to "spread the man seed" without the marriage commitment. Men who marry their spouse and then have children are much less likely to engage in activities that would put their family in jeopardy.

Originally posted by LuteHawk:

Regardless of the color of your skin, society will
function best.........when a family consists of one
husband and one wife who raise their own children.
America still needs to make that a goal for now
and the future.

Bottom Line:  Every family needs a least one
breadwinner who has a good job.  Then there
will a roof over their head, clothes on their
back, and food on the table.
This is correct but would mean that we couldn't have an "anything goes, whatever makes you feel good" attitude. That does not sit well with liberals.
Holy christ you're brainwashed.

Seriously. What happened to personal responsibility and liberty? Not Republican ideals when it comes to other people's life choices?
Where is the personal responsibility when people choose to have multiple kids out of wedlock with only one parent (usually the mother) providing support and expecting tax payers like me to provide a living for them?

Perhaps if the "wisdom" about relationships came from someone other than a person who has never been in a truly committed relationship, the old, white, self-proclaimed "conservative" men might take it a little more seriously.ÂÂÂ
I don't give a shit if Susan Sarandon is in a relationship with a blender; as long as she's not telling me how I should live my life.
But of course that's what liberals do, tell us how to live our lives.  Drink this, eat that, don't do this...and that was before these control freaks were running healthcare (having stolen it on a Christmas Eve vote without one single vote from the Right).
Well stated. All libs do is make rules for others to follow(after all it's for their own good) look no further than Michelle's school lunch fiasco. Telling kids they need to eat food they do not like and ending up throwing it away
You guys do realize that Sarandon's comments are the opposite of rules, and it's you, old, white, crusty, midwestern, conservative, men, who are trying to push your societal norms onto others.

As to the nonsense above about societal norms ruining black communities now that there's not as much racism, maybe, just maybe, black families would generally include fathers at a higher percentage if we didn't incarcerate them at such a high rate?
So those black fathers were married to the black mothers of their children before they committed the crimes that lead to their incarceration?

Might want to do a little research and think about this more before you play the race card. Typical liberal mindset. Personal responsibility be damned! It is someone else's fault.

May want to do some research yourself. Look back at the beginning of the war on drugs. Check out the statistics on single mothers in black communities. Then look at the numbers of black males that have been incarcerated since the start of the war on drugs. Then look at the statistics for single mothers in black communities today.

Hopefully, you can then learn that it's not a "race card" that anyone is playing, it's reality.

As was already said. Nothing like a bunch of crusty, old, white, republican men to tell people how to live their lives. PARTY OF FREEDOM!!!!
How many of these wrongfully incarcerated black men were married before they had children and committed the crimes that caused them to be incarcerated?

Marriage is a familial, emotional and legal commitment not only to their spouse but also the children they produce. That cannot be taken lightly. It is easy to "spread the man seed" without the marriage commitment. Men who marry their spouse and then have children are much less likely to engage in activities that would put their family in jeopardy.
There are certainly people who make the situation worse, and blame to go around, but if you can't admit the simple fact that the war on drugs has had a disproportionate effect on black folks, and has ruined the black family unit, it's not worth discussing this matter with you.

Here's a good starting point. Read this, and then sit and reflect on why you choose to see this problem in the way you do. Is it because you grew up in a state where the overwhelming majority of families have 2 parents and are white? Where the crime rate is rather low? In an era where the police were not focused on mass incarceration? In the 1950s and 1960s, we had between 250,000-350,000 people in prisons. From 1980 to 1990 nearly 700,000 more people were put in prison (474,000 to 1.15 million). From 1990 to 2000, another 800,000 in prison (from 1.15 million to 1.965 million). We're over 2.2million now.

693px-US_incarceration_timeline-clean.svg.png

You want to blame black men going to prison on not having families? Or on a less racist society? Fine. You're just outing yourself as someone who is completely uninformed. The reason the "family unit" is falling apart is because we're incarcerating the shit out of the population. Not because black families are less reliant on each other to fight off racist whites.

For your own sake, read.

Re: Actress Susan Saradon on Coupling Relationships

Originally posted by naturalmwa:

Originally posted by SailorJerryHawk:
Originally posted by Fan In Black:
WTF is a "coupling" relationship?
She is a bat crap crazy liberal that really wants to have some lovey dovey sex with anyone.Be it Snake on a Plane Gigantic penis.Or John Lennon Plastic Ono Band Dildo.

Her breasts are almost 70 years old.Do the math.What would this woman know about coupling?
This sounds perfectly sane and well adjusted to me.
I am perfectly sane.Susan has some grandma breasts I wouldn't mind touching.

Re: Actress Susan Saradon on Coupling Relationships

Originally posted by naturalmwa:

She is a bat crap crazy liberal that really wants to have some lovey dovey sex with anyone.Be it Snake on a Plane Gigantic penis.Or John Lennon Plastic Ono Band Dildo.

Her breasts are almost 70 years old.Do the math.What would this woman know about coupling?
This sounds perfectly sane and well adjusted to me.
I am perfectly sane.Susan has some grandma breasts I wouldn't mind touching.
I'm with you. Even I would motorboat them just so I could say I did. Of course I feel similarly about the Queen of England.

Perhaps if the "wisdom" about relationships came from someone other than a person who has never been in a truly committed relationship, the old, white, self-proclaimed "conservative" men might take it a little more seriously.ÂÂ

It's a matter of faith. It doesn't need to make sense.

I'm still waiting for someone to explain what coupling means. Did I miss it?

The only coupling I know or care about is the wonderful UK comedy Coupling.

Perhaps if the "wisdom" about relationships came from someone other than a person who has never been in a truly committed relationship, the old, white, self-proclaimed "conservative" men might take it a little more seriously. 

There are certainly people who make the situation worse, and blame to go around, but if you can't admit the simple fact that the war on drugs has had a disproportionate effect on black folks, and has ruined the black family unit, it's not worth discussing this matter with you.

Here's a good starting point. Read this, and then sit and reflect on why you choose to see this problem in the way you do. Is it because you grew up in a state where the overwhelming majority of families have 2 parents and are white? Where the crime rate is rather low? In an era where the police were not focused on mass incarceration? In the 1950s and 1960s, we had between 250,000-350,000 people in prisons. From 1980 to 1990 nearly 700,000 more people were put in prison (474,000 to 1.15 million). From 1990 to 2000, another 800,000 in prison (from 1.15 million to 1.965 million). We're over 2.2million now. 

You want to blame black men going to prison on not having families? Or on a less racist society? Fine. You're just outing yourself as someone who is completely uninformed. The reason the "family unit" is falling apart is because we're incarcerating the shit out of the population. Not because black families are less reliant on each other to fight off racist whites. 

Link: For your own sake, read.[/URL]
So your position is that black people aren't smart enough to know the law? If you don't like the drug laws, work within our political system to get them changed. Until that time, follow the law.

And no one has answered my question. How many "wrongfully incarcerated" black men were married to the mother of their children prior to their being incarcerated? Your position is that, had they not been incarcerated, they would have been active husbands and fathers. What makes you think that, if they didn't bother to marry the mother of their children prior to conception, they would have been responsible husbands/fathers had they not been incarcerated due to the "unfair" drug laws?

Perhaps if the "wisdom" about relationships came from someone other than a person who has never been in a truly committed relationship, the old, white, self-proclaimed "conservative" men might take it a little more seriously.ÂÂÂÂ

Here's a good starting point. Read this, and then sit and reflect on why you choose to see this problem in the way you do. Is it because you grew up in a state where the overwhelming majority of families have 2 parents and are white? Where the crime rate is rather low? In an era where the police were not focused on mass incarceration? In the 1950s and 1960s, we had between 250,000-350,000 people in prisons. From 1980 to 1990 nearly 700,000 more people were put in prison (474,000 to 1.15 million). From 1990 to 2000, another 800,000 in prison (from 1.15 million to 1.965 million). We're over 2.2million now.Â

You want to blame black men going to prison on not having families? Or on a less racist society? Fine. You're just outing yourself as someone who is completely uninformed. The reason the "family unit" is falling apart is because we're incarcerating the shit out of the population. Not because black families are less reliant on each other to fight off racist whites.Â

Link: For your own sake, read.
So your position is that black people aren't smart enough to know the law? If you don't like the drug laws, work within our political system to get them changed. Until that time, follow the law.

And no one has answered my question. How many "wrongfully incarcerated" black men were married to the mother of their children prior to their being incarcerated? Your position is that, had they not been incarcerated, they would have been active husbands and fathers. What makes you think that, if they didn't bother to marry the mother of their children prior to conception, they would have been responsible husbands/fathers had they not been incarcerated due to the "unfair" drug laws?
2010-family-01-11.png

prison-and-war-on-drugs.jpg

US_drug_arrest_rates.png

drug_use.0.png

My position is the war on drugs disproportionately targets blacks, causing rifts in black communities, and the absence of black fathers. I couldn't give 2 shits if they are "married" fathers.

Take a peek at the graphs and tell me that the war of drugs isn't a huge factor in the number of black families with only one parent.

So only people who use drugs get arrested? I would have thought people who deal the drugs would get arrested more. When are the percentage of drug dealers by race

Link: For your own sake, read.

2010-family-01-11.png

prison-and-war-on-drugs.jpg

US_drug_arrest_rates.png

drug_use.0.png

My position is the war on drugs disproportionately targets blacks, causing rifts in black communities, and the absence of black fathers. I couldn't give 2 shits if they are "married" fathers.

Take a peek at the graphs and tell me that the war of drugs isn't a huge factor in the number of black families with only one parent.  
And yet these black men have no clue about the drug laws and continue to violate them?!

You are also making an assumption that unmarried black fathers would be active fathers had they not been incarcerated. In the absence of a committed marriage/family, that is unlikely.

I will say it again, if you think the drug laws are unfair, work within our political system to change them. Until then, you have no one else to blame but yourself if you violate the law.

And yet these black men have no clue about the drug laws and continue to violate them?!
3 weeks ago in a predominately white part of Chicago (Old Town), in a bar bathroom, I watched 3 mid 20s white guys each do a line of coke. They pulled out a drivers license, then one by one, in the middle of the bathroom, did coke. As people came in and out to take a pee.

Drug use is nearly identical between the races. We just arrest, target, and prosecute black men at a way higher rate.

Essentially, when you boil down your post, it's this: "We started targeting black men with the war on drugs and they haven't stopped using them, so we're going to keep targeting black men."

Congrats. You're getting it.

I will say it again, if you think the drug laws are unfair, work within our political system to change them. Until then, you have no one else to blame but yourself if you violate the law.
I would love to. They tried it in Colorado, and even though it's working great, religious Republicans and their fear of marijuana have worked their asses off to stop the political process from working. It's not so simple.

Also, I don't really have much to worry about. I'm a white guy. I'm heading into a profession where cocaine usage is startlingly common. I don't have to worry about getting arrested and incarcerated, and labeled as a felon, and battling to ever have anyone hire me for the rest of my life. I'm white.

You are also making an assumption that unmarried black fathers would be active fathers had they not been incarcerated. In the absence of a committed marriage/family, that is unlikely.

[/QUOTE]
Why is it unlikely? The article pointed out to you that black men from afar are more likely than any other race to keep in contact with their children. People of all races have no problem being active fathers after divorces, or for out of wedlock births. The reason they can't be fathers is because we've locked them up.

[/QUOTE]
[/QUOTE]

Originally posted by bdg8:
So only people who use drugs get arrested? I would have thought people who deal the drugs would get arrested more. When are the percentage of drug dealers by race
In 2005, according to the article I linked earlier, 4 out of 5 drug arrests were possession, 1 out of 5 for dealing. And "dealing" is a super loose term, for the record. Intent to deliver can be inferred by the amount you have, even if you're never going to sell any of it.

Originally posted by bdg8:
In 2005, according to the article I linked earlier, 4 out of 5 drug arrests were possession, 1 out of 5 for dealing. And "dealing" is a super loose term, for the record. Intent to deliver can be inferred by the amount you have, even if you're never going to sell any of it.
Thanks for info. I had not taken time to read article

What is so ridiculous about this entire thread is we've turned it into a war on drugs thread, because some people are so afraid of admitting that the idea of the nuclear family isn't everyone's cup of tea.

I don't want kids. I do want a wife. My friend might be the opposite. My other friend might want both. A fourth friend might want neither. My fifth (guy) friend might want a husband and no kids. My sixth (guy) friend might want a husband and kids. None of those are going to destroy America. None of those are the concern of any other person, nor the government.

You want to fix the problems of the world? Start elsewhere. People choosing to or not to marry, to or not to have kids, in whatever combination, is not the root of the cause.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT