ADVERTISEMENT

Advice for someone who hasn't been to Carver-Hawkeye in awhile

menwithouthats

Scout Team
Apr 22, 2006
We're attending the women's game tomorrow. It's been a minute since I've been to a home game. Do y'all have any advice on how to make the in-person gameday viewing experience go as smoothly as possible? All I've been told so far is to avoid the concession stands as the lines can be crazy long. I already have parking lined up but I am going to drop a couple of our group off right in front of the arena while I go park. Any input is appreciated

Reactions: Hawksfor3
I’d say if you got parking set you’re good. The rest depends on what your group wants to see

Aramark still handles concessions so real food, still not good. Popcorn, caramel, corn, ice cream and beers good & all normally priced. Anybody it says expensive hasn’t been to other venues or to big cities. Have fun!

Reactions: menwithouthats
Highlights compared to previous years: 1) The video when the players are introduced is very well done. 2) The band is large & great.

Disappointment compared to previous years: Halftime entertainment.

Same as previous years: Poor cell reception.

Reactions: mphawk
We're attending the women's game tomorrow. It's been a minute since I've been to a home game. Do y'all have any advice on how to make the in-person gameday viewing experience go as smoothly as possible? All I've been told so far is to avoid the concession stands as the lines can be crazy long. I already have parking lined up but I am going to drop a couple of our group off right in front of the arena while I go park. Any input is appreciated
Get there when the doors open. No lines at the concessions and lot easier traffic.

IC and Cville have completely changed. I hope you can somehow find the arena for the game. Good luck OP! 😜

When I attended this year, ladies had to have plastic, see through bags-- wouldn't let them bring large purses in. Also, some fans were told to return basketballs they wanted signed to their cars and no signs were allowed at the gate we entered. There were some disgruntled fans upon hearing these rules. I have seen plenty of signs on tv so am not sure how consistent these rules are enforced.

Reactions: ichawk24
When I attended this year, ladies had to have plastic, see through bags-- wouldn't let them bring large purses in. Also, some fans were told to return basketballs they wanted signed to their cars and no signs were allowed at the gate we entered. There were some disgruntled fans upon hearing these rules. I have seen plenty of signs on tv so am not sure how consistent these rules are enforced.

Yeah, they told my 5 year old to throw her sign away. We folded it up and took it in.

Signs at CHA and Kinnick have been banned as far back as I can remember. Something they’ve strongly enforced as well. Not sure why they’re banned, but I can remember being young and the ushers taking signs away.

In person or on a screen, I like to follow the stats. Watching at home, the stats are often ahead of the video broadcast, kinda like listening to the radio and watching. At Carver, curiously enough, the stats on my phone are never ahead of the live action.

Signs at CHA and Kinnick have been banned as far back as I can remember. Something they’ve strongly enforced as well. Not sure why they’re banned, but I can remember being young and the ushers taking signs away.
So how do the 100's of kids get the pre made signs into the game, because they are EVERYWHERE...?

Carver is very nice but I do miss the old field house. That was home court advantage bleachers would bounce. But carver is great

So how do the 100's of kids get the pre made signs into the game, because they are EVERYWHERE...?

How do you think? It’s not like airport security or even a sophisticated security set up, but if they see you walking to the front gate with a sign, they’re going to stop you and deny your entry with that sign.

Now if you’re already in CHA and grab one of the wrestling posters or basketball posters and make your own sign on the back, it’s much easier. Or even roll up a pre made sign and put it in your jacket or sweatshirt, it’s not too difficult to get them in. At a typical game, in a typical season, it’s a lot easier for them to enforce with a sign or two floating around CHA. The girls games this season it’s practically impossible for them to enforce everything because they are EVERYWHERE.

Are you suggesting signs are permitted at CHA? Not sure where you’re going with this?

Last edited:
How do you think? It’s not like airport security or even a sophisticated security set up, but if they see you walking to the front gate with a sign, they’re going to stop you and deny your entry with that sign.

Now if you’re already in CHA and grab one of the wrestling posters or basketball posters and make your own sign on the back, it’s much easier. Or even roll up a pre made sign and put it in your jacket or sweatshirt, it’s not too difficult to get them in. At a typical game, in a typical season, it’s a lot easier for them to enforce with a sign or two floating around CHA. The girls games this season it’s practically impossible for them to enforce everything because they are EVERYWHERE.

Are you suggesting signs are permitted at CHA? Not sure where you’re going with this?
No. I'm not suggesting anything. Just responding on people saying you can't bring signs in and YET they are everywhere. You gave some good reasons, so thanks for that. Most of the signs I see weren't made at the stadium on the back of some poster. They have WAY too much artwork, glitter, etc.. to be done once people get there. Some also look to big to be rolled up and stuck under your shirt. It still seems pretty funny to say signs aren't permitted, and yet 2/3 of the kids seem to have them, thats all I'm saying....

No. I'm not suggesting anything. Just responding on people saying you can't bring signs in and YET they are everywhere. You gave some good reasons, so thanks for that. Most of the signs I see weren't made at the stadium on the back of some poster. They have WAY too much artwork, glitter, etc.. to be done once people get there. Some also look to big to be rolled up and stuck under your shirt. It still seems pretty funny to say signs aren't permitted, and yet 2/3 of the kids seem to have them, thats all I'm saying....

Wait until you find out about outside alcohol/liquor being brought into Kinnick or (to a lesser extent) Carver.

Prohibited items at CHA

Prohibited items at Kinnick

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT