ADVERTISEMENT

After 20 years, 4 months, and 5 days...

CJBauer

HR Legend
Gold Member
Dec 21, 2001
Newtown, PA
(not that I've been counting)
my son is finally moved out of the house...for now...

His Mom, Aunt,& Uncle packed him up in the Uhaul and headed off for PITT this morning...he has his own apartment off campus and starts his junior year in a few days...

I figured since I put the announcement on this board ('s predecessor) when we brought him home, I'd put up an announcement when he left :)

anyone else sending their first (or only) off this fall?

First and only goes next Friday. While I will get misty eyed I know he is absolutely ready for it and will thrive at school. Despite his dad he is actually a pretty level headed young adult and I can't wait to see his growth when left to his own choices. His mom(no pics) on the other hand is going to make my life hell after the kid is gone. She is already struggling.

First and only goes next Friday. While I will get misty eyed I know he is absolutely ready for it and will thrive at school. Despite his dad he is actually a pretty level headed young adult and I can't wait to see his growth when left to his own choices. His mom(no pics) on the other hand is going to make my life hell after the kid is gone. She is already struggling.
I thought your life was already hell.....

That's why she gets 5 hours with her sister to cry about it on the way up and back that I don't have to deal with...

Reactions: globalhawk
That's great for you that the wife will get some decompression time.:)

I've been getting evil looks all week as we've packed things and staged them for the move out...he's back for Thanksgiving and then Pitt doesn't go back to in person classes until 2nd semester in late Jan 2021...

We moved my oldest (no pic) daughter’s stuff down to Champaign two days ago. She heads down for her freshman year in a couple weeks.

Was surreal as a part of me still thinks like a college kid...and here I am the dad of a college kid.

It will be interesting to see if they keep everyone on campus until Thanksgiving as planned. U of Illinois has mandatory testing for each student 2x per week and Covid positive kids move to specific quarantine floors in the dorms. Hopefully that helps the situation, but for sure it will be a different experience than usual.

We moved my oldest (no pic) daughter’s stuff down to Champaign two days ago. She heads down for her freshman year in a couple weeks.

Was surreal as a part of me still thinks like a college kid...and here I am the dad of a college kid.

It will be interesting to see if they keep everyone on campus until Thanksgiving as planned. U of Illinois has mandatory testing for each student 2x per week and Covid positive kids move to specific quarantine floors in the dorms. Hopefully that helps the situation, but for sure it will be a different experience than usual.
This covid thing sure is a kick in the ass isn't it. Mine has two online classes and weekly testing along with mandatory masks. Supposedly if you leave campus you will get temped coming and going each time. (not sure how that will be enforced) The school population is only around 1500 so I am confident they will be able to do things the right way. Whatever that is I guess.

I think the bigger issue is you let your kid go to college in a sterile, windy, sensory deprivation sh*thole like Champaign.

We shovel the second kid out the door in a few weeks. This one is just going to the other side of the river to live, but it's going to be another milestone for us. I've been texting a lot with the MIL today to finalize the payments she is going to make for college. For a variety of substantive reasons I'm not the biggest fan of the MIL, but she's giving a lot of money to the higher education of her grandkids. I suppose it helps that her son is a doofus who whacks it to anime versus producing grandkids.

As a college aged kid I was a totally crazy and an out of control party hound but my now college aged kid is pretty level headed and won't even try the totally zany stunts I pulled of in my day.

/ Every middle aged internet poster ever.

As long as mom never finds out about it, it never happened...

I think the bigger issue is you let your kid go to college in a sterile, windy, sensory deprivation sh*thole like Champaign.
How can I argue with that! Like myself you are clearly a man of refined taste when it comes to college towns.

Alas, she got into their engineering program which is world class for the topics she will study - and as much as I was subtly encouraging Iowa, there is really no doubt that engineering at Illinois is a better academic fit for her.

Reactions: CJBauer and lucas80
How can I argue with that! Like myself you are clearly a man of refined taste when it comes to college towns.

Alas, she got into their engineering program which is world class for the topics she will study - and as much as I was subtly encouraging Iowa, there is really no doubt that engineering at Illinois is a better academic fit for her.
To be fair, they. do have a nice Cracker Barrel. I almost asked it engineering was involved. You are right, they have a world class program. And, my oldest is a.. (Vomit swallowing sound), Gopher.

Reactions: hawkeyetraveler
My oldest was out at 17, nearly 7 years ago. Youngest was out at 19, a year ago.

Now they’re both back.

Duke Or Arizona State? ;)

Reactions: THE_DEVIL
Two types of parents. The ones that want their kid’s out of the house ASAP and parents who enjoy having kids. The former are POSs to me.

(not that I've been counting)
my son is finally moved out of the house...for now...

His Mom, Aunt,& Uncle packed him up in the Uhaul and headed off for PITT this morning...he has his own apartment off campus and starts his junior year in a few days...

I figured since I put the announcement on this board ('s predecessor) when we brought him home, I'd put up an announcement when he left :)

anyone else sending their first (or only) off this fall?

Bean Jr. moved in and out 5 times before he left for good. Now I actually look forward to seeing him.

Reactions: CJBauer
Our children have various milestones in life:
Grade School graduation, High School diploma
and College diploma. As parents our task is
to prepare them for independence and to face the
challenges of life.

Bottom Line: When your children get married
that becomes the final step to their independence.

Reactions: CJBauer
Our children have various milestones in life:
Grade School graduation, High School diploma
and College diploma. As parents our task is
to prepare them for independence and to face the
challenges of life.

Bottom Line: When your children get married
that becomes the final step to their independence.

And the same is true of grand kids. You want them to grow up and find something they can excel in and make a living, but its hard when they do.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT